The Student Room Group

Predicted grades

Ok so I received my predicted grades and they seem to be lower than my actual mock results?! How is that a thing? Someone explain please.
Original post by Alicezworld
Ok so I received my predicted grades and they seem to be lower than my actual mock results?! How is that a thing? Someone explain please.

Your predicted grades are based on tons of things combined, like your CAT scores from year 7. Generally teachers will adjust them as the year progresses, and they don't actually influence anything so don't worry :smile:
Original post by Gingerbread101
Your predicted grades are based on tons of things combined, like your CAT scores from year 7. Generally teachers will adjust them as the year progresses, and they don't actually influence anything so don't worry :smile:

Yeah I understand that but I literally got a whole new set of grades except from the teachers who knew me from last year and just put the same grade from last year's. The new teachers gave me a different grade which is lower than my mock results from last year so it doesn't really make sense to me why that occurs. They don't even know me that well as it's only be like a month since they joined.

I think they only predicted it based on my target grade which is lower than what I attain. So I don't think they based it on the 'ton of things'.

Thank you for reassuring me that predicted grades don't mean anything, but it's sent to prospective sixth forms in which they take into account of my predicted grades of which it doesn't give an accurate representation of what I achieve.

(Sos It's long)
Yeah I understand that but I literally got a whole new set of grades except from the teachers who knew me from last year and just put the same grade from last year's. The new teachers gave me a different grade which is lower than my mock results from last year so it doesn't really make sense to me why that occurs. They don't even know me that well as it's only be like a month since they joined.

I think they only predicted it based on my target grade which is lower than what I attain. So I don't think they based it on the 'ton of things'.

Thank you for reassuring me that predicted grades don't mean anything, but it's sent to prospective sixth forms in which they take into account of my predicted grades of which it doesn't give an accurate representation of what I achieve.

(Sos It's long)

Unless your predicted grades are lower than 5 passes including English and Maths, then it won't affect the sixth form applications (unless you're applying to a competitive selective one). As I said, once those teachers actually get to know you, they'll raise your predicted grades
Unless your predicted grades are lower than 5 passes including English and Maths, then it won't affect the sixth form applications (unless you're applying to a competitive selective one). As I said, once those teachers actually get to know you, they'll raise your predicted grades

Although it is above the 'standard' requirements, it's not what I usually attain and that's what really frustrates me. Why am I having to stand those results if that's not what I get?.

Ahhh I am actually applying to a competitive sixth form and yes I know that once they know me, they'll raise them but it'll be too late since they have to submit the report in a few weeks or days even...

(Thanks for putting up with my rant.)
Reply 5

It's fine if your predicted grades are lower than your actual mock results, that means you're making progress which is good. In terms of sixth form/college applications, you can use the actual mock results as the results you send off for the application and state "already achieved" x grade instead of predicted. If in doubt try contacting the school you're applying to for clarity or ask your own school. :biggrin:
Although it is above the 'standard' requirements, it's not what I usually attain and that's what really frustrates me. Why am I having to stand those results if that's not what I get?.

Ahhh I am actually applying to a competitive sixth form and yes I know that once they know me, they'll raise them but it'll be too late since they have to submit the report in a few weeks or days even...

(Thanks for putting up with my rant.)

Plus you can always just ask your teachers to raise your predictions :tongue:
Original post by JTran38
It's fine if your predicted grades are lower than your actual mock results, that means you're making progress which is good. In terms of sixth form/college applications, you can use the actual mock results as the results you send off for the application and state "already achieved" x grade instead of predicted. If in doubt try contacting the school you're applying to for clarity or ask your own school. :biggrin:

Thank you. i'll talk to my head of year and see if they'll let me.
Plus you can always just ask your teachers to raise your predictions :tongue:

Hmmm... Quite unlikely but worth a try. Thanks.
Hmmm... Quite unlikely but worth a try. Thanks.

Honestly- I've been through it all before, teachers care a lot less about predictions than you'd think. Once they realise they've got it wrong they'll be more than happy to change it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest