The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by toblerone325
Just really annoying that they are doing this. Would have been friendly to send out the rejection e-mails alongside the acceptance e-mails... now we have people assuming that they aren't through.

I reckon it;s being done by the choices you picked, but am probably wrong. I did mine on Tuesday this week. No reply. I went for Diplomatic, Generalist and Houses of Parliament, in that order.

Don't think they're doing it in that order as my preferences are identical to yours (+ GCS)

To me it looks like they're now going from the start, given people who applied in September are now getting replies
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 461
Original post by hodgey111
Won't be through then. Sat my tests on 3 October. Not overly surprised but disappointed.

I sat it on the 3rd as well, I'm stupidly hoping that they haven't gone through those that did it on the 3rd hahaa. The system atm doesn't make much sense so I'm bracing myself for a rejection :frown:
Original post by Acqua
I sat it on the 3rd as well, I'm stupidly hoping that they haven't gone through those that did it on the 3rd hahaa. The system atm doesn't make much sense so I'm bracing myself for a rejection :frown:

Sat on 3rd too. No results yet!
Original post by Acqua

Original post by l.donaldson

Sat on 2nd so same boat. At least I'm not alone!
Reply 464
Original post by l.donaldson

I'm going to be positive then, unless someone says that they did it on the 3rd and that they passed.
Original post by Acqua
I'm going to be positive then, unless someone says that they did it on the 3rd and that they passed.

I just realised that I actually submitted mine on the 3rd! Did SJT on 2nd and behavioral on 3rd ! Hoping we hear soon
Reply 466
Original post by scar123
I just realised that I actually submitted mine on the 3rd! Did SJT on 2nd and behavioral on 3rd ! Hoping we hear soon

Oh! Some people who did it on the 2nd and 4th got a reply, so I'm not sure what to make of that hahaa, fingers crossed though :smile:
Did anyone else apply for the Government Social Research stream? Haven't heard many that have. It's my first choice with Generalist second.
Reply 468
Hi I've got a question about the e-tray exercise which I'm pretty sure hasn't been mentioned and would appreciate some feedback on. In this thread and other places online the recommendation is to prioritise emails however in the run up to the real e-tray test (I'm through but haven't taken it yet) the written recommendation is to go through the emails in order (it doesn't say specifically to reply to them in order however it suggests that).

Furthermore in some of the practice tests I've done if you prioritise your emails it can sometimes lead to earlier emails not requiring a response (or not having a correct response listed) as they are addressed later on however leaving these emails as unresponded has lost me points in the practices. Are we scored on ALL emails and if so how should we answer emails which conflict with later ones?

Hope that makes sense... thanks in advance
Original post by jronnie
Hi I've got a question about the e-tray exercise which I'm pretty sure hasn't been mentioned and would appreciate some feedback on. In this thread and other places online the recommendation is to prioritise emails however in the run up to the real e-tray test (I'm through but haven't taken it yet) the written recommendation is to go through the emails in order (it doesn't say specifically to reply to them in order however it suggests that).

Furthermore in some of the practice tests I've done if you prioritise your emails it can sometimes lead to earlier emails not requiring a response (or not having a correct response listed) as they are addressed later on however leaving these emails as unresponded has lost me points in the practices. Are we scored on ALL emails and if so how should we answer emails which conflict with later ones?

Hope that makes sense... thanks in advance

Last year I completed the emails in order that they were received and I passed. Haven't attempted it yet this year so don't know if it's any different.
I just completed the e-tray exercise and I would recommend you do as it says and go through them in order. The emails don't refer to or affect each other. There is no need to prioritize them.

I wonder how long it will take for them to get back to us about e-tray results as they are so haphazard with the other tests.
Reply 471
Original post by elmossurfin
I just completed the e-tray exercise and I would recommend you do as it says and go through them in order. The emails don't refer to or affect each other. There is no need to prioritize them.

I wonder how long it will take for them to get back to us about e-tray results as they are so haphazard with the other tests.

I'm glad I hesitated before starting the exercise to post the question! Thanks for your help

That's helpful, all the practice ones I've done link to each other. This format is easier then practice ones which link together right?
Reply 473
I sat on the 3rd and got through to the e-tray today. Was wondering whether people had any tips? (Obviously I appreciate nobody really wants to help the competition!)
Original post by ahibbs
I sat on the 3rd and got through to the e-tray today. Was wondering whether people had any tips? (Obviously I appreciate nobody really wants to help the competition!)

Best advice would be to read all the information carefully, like for example who the emails have come from as sometimes your response would depend on who you're replying to. I realised this half way through and changed some of my answered after reading the character profiles of some of the people. Just in general I found there were lots of little details that would need consideration.
Original post by ahibbs

What time did you get your email?? Well donee!!
I agree with Hannah__. Don't think of it as a traditional e-tray/in-tray activity as there is no real need to prioritize things. There is A LOT of background information and it is more designed to test your ability to read, understand and apply the background information.
Reply 477
Original post by scar123
What time did you get your email?? Well donee!!

Thank-you!
Got it at 10.55 - not sure whether it helps you but on the 3rd I did the test quite early in the day so it might be something to do with that.
Reply 478
Original post by Hannah__
Best advice would be to read all the information carefully, like for example who the emails have come from as sometimes your response would depend on who you're replying to. I realised this half way through and changed some of my answered after reading the character profiles of some of the people. Just in general I found there were lots of little details that would need consideration.

Great thank-you!
Reply 479
Thank-you!

I agree with Hannah__. Don't think of it as a traditional e-tray/in-tray activity as there is no real need to prioritize things. There is A LOT of background information and it is more designed to test your ability to read, understand and apply the background information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending