The Student Room Group

Bring back Blair

Scroll to see replies

Education Education Education

His heart was in the right place, he had a good leadership style, good speaker. It's just so difficult that things got messy and the war was started. But he's still a good politician.

Bring back Blair.
Bring back Blair.
We want Blair.

The 90's </3
Original post by Fenice
Is there any evidence that he explicitly advised on 'how to spin a massacre'? It seems that he was advising them in an economic capacity
A spokeswoman for Blair said TBA’s work in Mangystau involved no comms [communications] element.”She said he was hired to help build capacity to attract investment and improve accountability as Mangystau sought to deliver better services for its citizens. -RT

Another quote from RT:
The former PM told Nazarbayev to say the deaths, “tragic though they were, should not obscure the enormous progress” the country had made.

Which I accept is open to many interpretations.*
Original post by Fenice
Progressive views do not go hand in hand with tin foil hat conspiracy theories

It's hardly in the same category. You presumably don't deny that they were rendited? Do you think MI6 would cooperate fully and truthfully in a criminal investigation against their operatives in relation to rendition? Do you think it's a mad conspiracy theory to conclude that they might well not do so?
Reply 23
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's hardly in the same category. You presumably don't deny that they were rendited? Do you think MI6 would cooperate fully and truthfully in a criminal investigation against their operatives in relation to rendition? Do you think it's a mad conspiracy theory to conclude that they might well not do so?

Whether extraordinary rendition occurred I don't know, but that would require the involvement of the British government. The justice system has decided that there is insufficient evidence to charge any relevant British party with extraordinary rendition. The sensible conclusion to draw is clear.

Regarding this thread, one of the claims you have made and failed to substantiate is that Blair 'got to airmail women and children prisoners to Gaddafi for torture'. I am not going to base my opinion on someone on unsubstantiated might-well-be's.
Original post by Fenice
At least Blair only fraternised with monsters for good reasons, like persuading them to give up their nuclear weapons. Corbyn accepted payments for appearing on the state TV station of a regime which routinely executes gays on cranes and achieved precisely nothing in doing so.

Actually muammer gadaffi did good for his country.
Reply 25
Original post by usainlightning
Another quote from RT:
The former PM told Nazarbayev to say the deaths, “tragic though they were, should not obscure the enormous progress” the country had made.

Which I accept is open to many interpretations.*

It should be pointed out that RT has a terrible reputation of journalistic integrity. It seems to be quoting The Times. I cannot read the full article because I am not a subscriber but the opening paragraphs seem to be telling a different story to what is reported here as far as Blair's role in this goes.
Original post by Fenice
It should be pointed out that RT has a terrible reputation of journalistic integrity. It seems to be quoting The Times. I cannot read the full article because I am not a subscriber but the opening paragraphs seem to be telling a different story to what is reported here as far as Blair's role in this goes.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tony-blair-gives-president-of-kazakhstan-pr-advice-following-massacre-of-unarmed-protesters-9689379.html
Bring Back Blair (I like the alliteration) suggests that he ever fully went away...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28

Blair has always favoured the carrot over the stick in trying to improve these sorts of regimes and working from inside. It is a policy that stripped Libya of its nuclear weapons and led to peace in Northern Ireland.

Even if this story is true I am not sure it counts against him at all. Ultimately he is still trying to do good, just not in an obvious, self-publicising sort of way
you people have very short term memories
Original post by KimKallstrom
A Labour Party that wasn't an laughing stock lead by a joke of a man and which presided over an economy where getting a job was a piece of piss, where the NHS was funded like a rapper funds their bling collection, when the minimum wage was introduced, them getting elected was as inevitable as the sun rising and some Labourites are against it? No wonder their party is getting killed these days.

This.

Yet somehow the myth has taken root on the left that he was no different to Thatcher and Brown gets the blame for a global crash that started in America.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I miss the good old days.

The hard left can't have it both ways. Most people on the hard left utterly opposed not only the intervention in Libya, but have opposed any sanctions against tyrants like Saddam and Ghaddafi. They say we should be friendly with them, trade with them, etc.

And so Western governments are screwed if they do and screwed if they don't; if they sanction these regimes, the hard left attacks them. If they're friendly with regimes (like Saudi Arabia), the hard left attacks them.

You need to make up your mind; do you want us to be friendly with these regimes or not? If Assad was supported by the West rather than Russia, is there any doubt that you people would be protesting day and night against the bombardment of Aleppo?

Hard leftists have spent years claiming that the threat of terrorism is overblown, that if you bomb people they will radicalise, and yet they suddenly affect to be extremely concerned by extremists in Syria and support Assad and Russia's indiscriminate bombing. The level of hypocrisy is astounding, if Assad was armed by the West yet fighting the same enemies he would be crucified by Stop the War types
Very stupid that people are still supporting Tony Blair after all the bad things he has done. Not clever people at all indeed.
Reply 33
Blair is a war criminal, and should be and will be trialed.
Oh my God. You are the epitome of the behind the curve, depressing establishment still in love with an era that no-one worth their salt has any affection for.
Reply 35
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Oh my God. You are the epitome of the behind the curve, depressing establishment still in love with an era that no-one worth their salt has any affection for.

Jeremy Corbyn is out of touch. Blair made it his business to be in touch. It is unlikely that he would roll out a manifesto from the 1990s. What matters are his qualities.
Reply 36
Original post by Naveed-7
Very stupid that people are still supporting Tony Blair after all the bad things he has done. Not clever people at all indeed.

I suppose it's ultimately a matter of opinion. Who knew
Original post by Fenice
Jeremy Corbyn is out of touch. Blair made it his business to be in touch. It is unlikely that he would roll out a manifesto from the 1990s. What matters are his qualities.

No he's in touch with the fall of neoliberalism and stupid 'liberal interventionist' wars,which Blair would be fully committed to, alongside Hillary, plus, he would no doubt endorse, most disturbingly, a conflict with Putin that could spiral into a nuclear one.

The man's government did infinite damage to this country, not to mention the union.

I don't know.

Prosperity the likes of which the country hasn't seen before or since certainly had its plus points.
Original post by JamesN88
I don't know.

Prosperity the likes of which the country hasn't seen before or since certainly had its plus points.

Hmmm, lifting over 2 million out of poverty and wages in real terms rising by 18 odd percent is over-rated if you ask me :rolleyes:

You're talking out of your arse as usual. It's not even disputed by anybody that the Blair years were great for the economy. Poverty was slashed and getting a good job was a piece of piss. The only reason Labour aren't voted back in now is because they've shifted direction so much. To deny how well people across the wealth spectrum were doing at this time is revisionist horse manure perpetuated by people with memories like goldfish.

And yeah, I'm sure the "establishment" were over the moon with things like the minimum wage and pumping untold amounts of money into public services like the NHS lol. But, in your paranoid mind, both the rich and the poor doing well instead of only the poor doing well while the "establishment" fails is some sort of establishment conspiracy theory. This the kind of retarded, backwards Corbyn-type logic that seems to have gained some traction recently.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending