The Student Room Group

Cambridge SAQ Help with AS level marks.

Last summer I took linear AS levels as I was dropping some subjects. Though the SAQ asks for marks for modular AS levels it doesn't explicitly ask for linear AS level marks. I did reasonably well in the linear AS levels so feel that it is a bit of a waste if they cant see the mark, so was wondering if I should put them somewhere either in the qualifications section or in additional information or if it was not worth it.
Reply 1
Original post by qpwos
Last summer I took linear AS levels as I was dropping some subjects. Though the SAQ asks for marks for modular AS levels it doesn't explicitly ask for linear AS level marks. I did reasonably well in the linear AS levels so feel that it is a bit of a waste if they cant see the mark, so was wondering if I should put them somewhere either in the qualifications section or in additional information or if it was not worth it.

You don't put raw marks in the section asking for UMS.

It's fairly common for referees to mention raw marks - and see the comment from Peterhouse below.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by qpwos

The commiunication of raw marks is best done by your referee either in their reference or by sending a letter to the admissions office of the relevant college (this is allowed!). Otherwise, you could send your statement of results if this has the raw marks in it but I'm afraid that I don't think much attention can be given to self-declared raw marks on the SAQ without evidence of achievement.

DO NOT SUBMIT RAW MARKS IN THE UMS SECTION. This might upset people...
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
The commiunication of raw marks is best done by your referee either in their reference or by sending a letter to the admissions office of the relevant college (this is allowed!). Otherwise, you could send your statement of results if this has the raw marks in it but I'm afraid that I don't think much attention can be given to self-declared raw marks on the SAQ without evidence of achievement.

DO NOT SUBMIT RAW MARKS IN THE UMS SECTION. This might upset people...

Will raw marks really be considered when deciding between applicants? I sat 4 AS levels, 2 modular and 2 linear. In one modular subject I got full UMS and in the other I got 83 (an A in one paper and a B in another, which I'm resitting). In my two linear subjects I was ~7 marks above the A grade boundary, so I'd estimate well into an A*. My reference has already been submitted so I won't be able to inform my college of my raw marks. If it's not really relevant then I'm not overly fussed.

On another note, in previous years 93% UMS average across 3 subjects has been the auto-pool cut off point. Now that A levels are reformed, and very few applicants sit 3 AS levels that will give them UMS, is this policy going to be abandoned? For instance, my UMS average from my two subjects is 91.5%. My friend who sat one reformed subject got full UMS, meaning his average is 100%. It doesn't seem like a very fair system at all if it's going to remain in place.

On another (another) note :smile:, how important is UMS with the new reformed A-levels? I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been stressing a bit over my 83% UMS subject - it was by far the worst exam I sat. I feel like it's a shame because I didn't get UMS in my linear subjects, in which I did far better. I'm still going to carry on with the subject because I genuinely enjoying learning about it - it's politics so it helps me keep up with current issues etc. I'll be applying for history if this is any help.

Thanks.
Original post by Oddwatermelon
Will raw marks really be considered when deciding between applicants? I sat 4 AS levels, 2 modular and 2 linear. In one modular subject I got full UMS and in the other I got 83 (an A in one paper and a B in another, which I'm resitting). In my two linear subjects I was ~7 marks above the A grade boundary, so I'd estimate well into an A*. My reference has already been submitted so I won't be able to inform my college of my raw marks. If it's not really relevant then I'm not overly fussed.

They won't be used to decide between people. These decisions never come down to any one thing anyway and as not all applicants who have AS levels will have raw marks they aren't able to tell us anything about how you compare to others: they can only speak to your personal strengths.

On another note, in previous years 93% UMS average across 3 subjects has been the auto-pool cut off point. Now that A levels are reformed, and very few applicants sit 3 AS levels that will give them UMS, is this policy going to be abandoned? For instance, my UMS average from my two subjects is 91.5%. My friend who sat one reformed subject got full UMS, meaning his average is 100%. It doesn't seem like a very fair system at all if it's going to remain in place.

The 93% compulsory pool criterion is still around for this cycle, but as you point out, many fewer people will meet this. Don't worry about compulsory pooling, TSR is obsessed and it isn't that important :smile: It's for moderation rather than selection, making sure nobody deserving is overlooked rather than highlighting who we should take.

On another (another) note :smile:, how important is UMS with the new reformed A-levels? I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been stressing a bit over my 83% UMS subject - it was by far the worst exam I sat. I feel like it's a shame because I didn't get UMS in my linear subjects, in which I did far better. I'm still going to carry on with the subject because I genuinely enjoying learning about it - it's politics so it helps me keep up with current issues etc. I'll be applying for history if this is any help.

Thanks.

A bit. If UMS is available we will continue to use it as previously as it has been shown to be a reasonable predictor of success at Cambridge. Remember though that it is no more, and no less, important than anything else and will be considered alongside everythign else we know about you.
Reply 5
I'm also a bit confused answering this question on the SAQ. We are only supposed to input the details of the subject that is not reformed, right? Do I also have to input the details of the AS that I dropped after Year 12?
Original post by sazriah
I'm also a bit confused answering this question on the SAQ. We are only supposed to input the details of the subject that is not reformed, right? Do I also have to input the details of the AS that I dropped after Year 12?

You must enter details for any and all external qualifications, including standalone AS modules, even if you are not continuing the subject. If you don't have UMS (reformed subjects) then there is nothing to put in the UMS box.
Reply 7
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
You must enter details for any and all external qualifications, including standalone AS modules, even if you are not continuing the subject. If you don't have UMS (reformed subjects) then there is nothing to put in the UMS box.

So to clarify, I enter all my 3 of the A levels I am taking plus the AS I dropped? As one of my A level's were not reformed, do I add that in twice (as an AS and an A level)?
Reply 8
Original post by sazriah
So to clarify, I enter all my 3 of the A levels I am taking plus the AS I dropped? As one of my A level's were not reformed, do I add that in twice (as an AS and an A level)?

Did you get a grade for the reformed AS subjects? If so you must declare them on the SAQ and on UCAS, in addition to the A-level.

And yes regarding your question for the unreformed AS/A-level subject. You will also need to provide UMS for that subject only.
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
Did you get a grade for the reformed AS subjects? If so you must declare them on the SAQ and on UCAS, in addition to the A-level.

And yes regarding your question for the unreformed AS/A-level subject. You will also need to provide UMS for that subject only.

Yes I got a grade for my reformed AS subjects. However, the SAQ section 6.1 says that "If you are not taking modular AS and A Levels, please ignore this question. You must not enter linear AS and A Levels in this table."

So I only entered my unreformed subject and the AS subject that I dropped. I have not entered my reformed subjects at all.
Reply 10
Original post by sazriah
Yes I got a grade for my reformed AS subjects. However, the SAQ section 6.1 says that "If you are not taking modular AS and A Levels, please ignore this question. You must not enter linear AS and A Levels in this table."

So I only entered my unreformed subject and the AS subject that I dropped. I have not entered my reformed subjects at all.

Correct for 6.1, but you need to enter them in 5.5, and on your UCAS application.
If I have taken a linear AS this summer (Yr. 12) and am taking the same subject's linear A Level this year (Yr. 13), do I class Yr. 12 as AS Level (linear) or A Level (linear)?
Reply 12
Original post by AZS_06783
If I have taken a linear AS this summer (Yr. 12) and am taking the same subject's linear A Level this year (Yr. 13), do I class Yr. 12 as AS Level (linear) or A Level (linear)?

You sat an AS so Y12 was AS (linear).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
You sat an AS so Y12 was AS (linear).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had my answers saved like that but I wanted to make sure before I send it off.
Thank you very much! Z

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending