The Student Room Group

Architecture 2017 Entry!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thewinelake
Silly question regarding the UCL Task - what do people here understand by the term "pen and ink"?
Seems to me that it is often just "a pen that uses ink - usually black" but sometimes "a pen-drawn picture with brushed-on ink tone/colour"

Yh I questioned UCL on that both through email and phone, and through email I got the reply:"
The choice of paper and media is more or less up to you. The work must be on paper; but you can use any colour paper you like, and any media which are compatible with paper."
Through phoning them, they were really reluctant to give clear answers bc they are not meant to discuss the task with applicants etc, but I've confirmed that we can use colours in the drawings. They kept saying on the phone "it is for you to interpret etc etc.." so I would say be free about it 😂
Original post by czhang1998
Yh I questioned UCL on that both through email and phone, and through email I got the reply:"
The choice of paper and media is more or less up to you. The work must be on paper; but you can use any colour paper you like, and any media which are compatible with paper."
Through phoning them, they were really reluctant to give clear answers bc they are not meant to discuss the task with applicants etc, but I've confirmed that we can use colours in the drawings. They kept saying on the phone "it is for you to interpret etc etc.." so I would say be free about it 😂

Interesting, thanks. It's a somewhat academic question anyway. A bit of a shame as charcoal would have been a nice option.
So maybe one could ask at what point paper becomes card?! ;-)
The other thing is that they ask for "self-explanatory" work, but sometimes one feels that things may need a little explanation!
(edited 7 years ago)
Interesting, thanks. It's a somewhat academic question anyway. A bit of a shame as charcoal would have been a nice option.
So maybe one could ask at what point paper becomes card?! ;-)
The other thing is that they ask for "self-explanatory" work, but sometimes one feels that things may need a little explanation!

Hah Yh it's a shame to exclude so many other amazing medias to work with, but the limitation perhaps makes their life slightly easier when it comes to shortlisting. For the paper I think it is all up to your interpretation! But I do totally relate to the self-explanatory bit, although in this case we will have to let the drawings do the talking 😂
How about a title?
How about a title?

I don't know...:s-smilie: I've only put down the theme that I've chosen and no more other writings... So I'm not sure :/ maybe try emailing the admission team?
Original post by Heather.scb
I literally got the EXACT same email so you know I just went ahead and used charcoal etc since its compatible with paper. Also have you (or anyone else for that matter) completed the tasks? I'd love to see some as I'm worried that mine aren't right- feel free to pop up to me on Instagram (@hsc.black), would also be useful to get tips on whether people think I should redo mine

I have completed my task but sorry I probably won't be sharing my work until the end of the application process ,but I think as long as you're meeting the brief you'll be alright... I was being quite safe as the actual email on the task said 'pencil or pen/ink', so I only used those... It is very confusing tho with the other email:unimpressed:
Got an offer from Edinburgh today!! image.png So chuffed!!!
Yeah!!! Och aye the noo!
Yeah!!! Och aye the noo!

Hhahahaha!!

Congrats!!!! yaaaay
Original post by TSRMatt
Congrats!!!! yaaaay

Thank you!!

Hey, just wondering are you a scottish student? or rest of UK or international?
Original post by JamesEvans
Hey, just wondering are you a scottish student? or rest of UK or international?

I'm an international :smile:
I'm an international :smile:

ahhh okay! well done on your offer! just wish they'd get back to me too haha welsh student here
Original post by JamesEvans
ahhh okay! well done on your offer! just wish they'd get back to me too haha welsh student here

Thank you!! Fingers crossed for your application :crossedf:
Hey does anyone know what time we will know if we are invited to interview for the Bartlett?

I sent off the task last Wednesday (19th Oct), and heard there are December interviews. Apparently Cambridge is mid to late November so it could be then, but after the task I'm getting really anxious so I want to know soon!:frown:

Also; what kinda time do Bath make offers for Architecture? I have a buddy that got one for engineering, so I hope it's soon (if I got one).
Original post by BasilBrick
Hey does anyone know what time we will know if we are invited to interview for the Bartlett?

I sent off the task last Wednesday (19th Oct), and heard there are December interviews. Apparently Cambridge is mid to late November so it could be then, but after the task I'm getting really anxious so I want to know soon!:frown:

Also; what kinda time do Bath make offers for Architecture? I have a buddy that got one for engineering, so I hope it's soon (if I got one).

UCL received my task on the 18th of October but they still hasn't said anything except a confirmation of receiving the task... So idk...
From what I remembered from last year's applicants thread, Bath gave out offers quite late like March/April time(I could have remembered this wrongly...:s-smilie:)so we might just have to wait very patiently...
And also welcome to the thread! May I ask you where you have applied to?
From last year, there was a lot of variation, but as far as I can tell...
UCL- interview invitations received in mid-late November, with international applicants first
Edinburgh - UK applicants from late November
Bath - from early December (intl from late November)
From last year, there was a lot of variation, but as far as I can tell...
UCL- interview invitations received in mid-late November, with international applicants first
Edinburgh - UK applicants from late November
Bath - from early December (intl from late November)

Thanx for the info!
Reply 119
Hi
also applying to similar Uni's.
Have applied to Bath, Cambridge.Nottingham,Sheffield and Newcastle and would be happy to get an offer from any of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending