The Student Room Group

Do you find racist/sexist/offensive jokes funny?

Scroll to see replies

Everyone does like kindly speech. So don't you think we should try to abstain from false speech? Do you like to be offended? I don't think everyone does.

1476348264180.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think they are not funny at all. Criticism based up on genuine facts is okay and should be allowed, but jokes may be completely made up and insulting.

In Poland we often speak jokes about our only our nation, depicting worst features of our national character. It's a way of self improvement and approaching every day problems with humour. But for example American Polish-jokes are, in my opinion, completely made up and insulting. I don't like such jokes depicting any nation in general, however sometimes jokes based on very obvious features an element of absurd, (not insulting) may be funny.
An Englishman an Irishman and a Pakistani walk into a bar......

What a wonderful example of an integrated community......:biggrin:

Apologies to Bernard Righton.
Original post by kiran.malik123
Yeah but words can be hurtful, if i punched someone in the face and said that i was only joking would the punch hurt any less? No because a punch is a punch same way an offensive joke is offensive. Why do you think it's called an 'offensive joke'?

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.
Yes they are the best type of joke imho
If they're funny, sure.
You're not funny if the punchline of your jokes are aimed a group of people already marginalised by society
They're the best jokes.

A lot of humour, perhaps even most of it, comes from a dark place. It's about turning bad things into absurdities and getting people to laugh.

But a lot of people fail to understand the mechanics of humour - particularly dark or crass humour. They take it too seriously and assume the joke-maker has no empathy, when that's not the case.

Take dead baby jokes, for instance. Hilarious. But do I seriously find the concept of dead, tortured infants funny? No, of course not. I'd have to be a psychopath. But the same applies to racist and sexist jokes, etc. You can find them hilarious but still see the subject matter as being wrong and abhorrent. The jokes don't necessarily glorify or make light of these things. Yet so many people fail to understand this, being quick to take offense and accuse people of genuine racism and sexism.
How dare Jew make an offensive joke!
Original post by bones-mccoy
You're not funny if the punchline of your jokes are aimed a group of people already marginalised by society

It's not meant insult or hurt though, really. If it's funny, it's funny.
Original post by cbreef
It's not meant insult or hurt though, really. If it's funny, it's funny.

It's not about intention. If something's offensive, it's offensive.
It's not about intention. If something's offensive, it's offensive.

Well it depends on the joke, and who you are telling it to. Making a holocaust joke in a synagogue is just distasteful.
Reply 52
"omg its just locker room talk" -donald
Yeah... if it's not aimed at me (though I sometimes I still laugh).
Original post by cbreef
Making a holocaust joke is just distasteful.

Fixed that for you
Original post by PQ
Fixed that for you

Seems to me you've just broken it more
Depends whose telling them.
Original post by PQ
Fixed that for you

I liked it the way it was. I like dark/horrible/twisted humour, sorry. :smug:
Original post by cbreef
I liked it the way it was. I like dark/horrible/twisted humour, sorry. :smug:

You don't seem very sorry :indiff:

So, following the usual rules of the victim/oppressed olympics, who does that leave to make a joke about?
1 Straight white men
2 errr........
3Thats it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending