The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Just had the unsuccessful email for Liverpool:frown: Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back:smile:
Just got an unsuccessful for Manchester. The initial competencies were always going to be my weak point, as I only had a day from when I received the job alert to submission. But if the last recruitment event is anything to go by, they'll put in another recruitment drive soon and I'll apply for that with properly constructed competencies.
Original post by THEJACKLE
Just got an unsuccessful for Manchester. The initial competencies were always going to be my weak point, as I only had a day from when I received the job alert to submission. But if the last recruitment event is anything to go by, they'll put in another recruitment drive soon and I'll apply for that with properly constructed competencies.

Get them ready in advance. Quite often they are the same ones. I have them
Saved in documents on my Pc. I'm still waiting in Liverpool.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nobby054
The last recruitment i went through I found out Sunday morning surprisingly! But not sure this time round

How long between the last recruitment and this one btw? I was let down by my competency statement, but that's no surprise really.
Reply 404
The wait goes on for Glasgow...
Reply 405
I know two people who I work with got a 4 on the one competency 'making effective decisions' and got through to interview on the last campaign in June. This campaign seems to be a lot more rigorous tbh. Bit gutted didn't apply in June:frown: Plus in the email they don't even tell you what your scores are, just that you are not amongst the top scoring applicants for competencies. So in theory you could have gotten scores of 4 and higher and still not been invited for an interview which seems a bit unfair in comparison to the last campaign for the exact same job:frown:
Reply 406
Original post by Sk80gse
Get them ready in advance. Quite often they are the same ones. I have them

Good luck to you:smile:
Reply 407
How long between the last recruitment and this one btw? I was let down by my competency statement, but that's no surprise really.

This year there's been on in Feb, one in June and this one in Oct - all for the same HO role.
Original post by Sk80gse
Get them ready in advance. Unite often they are the same ones. I have them

That's what I've done for the competencies they didn't ask for this time round. For the initial ones, I just didn't tailor the statement to hit the reviewer over the head with what they want to hear.
That's what I've done for the competencies they didn't ask for this time round. For the initial ones, I just didn't tailor the statement to hit the reviewer over the head with what they want to hear.

You probably just needed a little more time by the sounds of it. Better luck next time!
Original post by eripley
This year there's been on in Feb, one in June and this one in Oct - all for the same HO role.

Ahh, one every 4 months, with 2 months to recruit each time. Not to worry then. I'm just emailing them now about the competencies, as I applied under the GSI but the email talked about top scoring applicants (as if the GSI wasn't applied). It's worth a shot on my part, but I'll let people know what their reply is.

My email was:

Dear Jim

Thank you for your patience whilst our independent panel assessed your competency statements for the post of Higher Officer Caseworker.

After careful consideration, it is with regret that we must inform you that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.

As detailed within the candidate pack, we are unable to provide feedback, this includes feedback on your statement and the score you achieved. Your score is based upon the examples you provided for each competency and unfortunately, you were not in the top scoring applicants. We appreciate that this will be a disappointment to you and we are sorry that we are not able to provide you with any further feedback.

Please refer to the website and candidate information pack for full details of the selection process we have undertaken.

Thank you so much for the time and effort you put into your application and we wish you all the best with your future job search.

Kind regards

HMRC Surge Resourcing Team
Reply 411
Got rejected for Stratford. What sort of person are they looking for? I read the competency based requirement so many times and I had perfect examples that ticked the boxes.....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh......It is just frustrating! I wish they gave you feedback at least. B******s! lol.
Reply 412
It's a no for me. Bummer.

Well done people that got through!
Original post by raykage
Got rejected for Stratford. What sort of person are they looking for? I read the competency based requirement so many times and I had perfect examples that ticked the boxes.....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh......It is just frustrating! I wish they gave you feedback at least. B******s! lol.

Same. I can't see how I could of failed to get below 4, which was my threshold. They seem to be quite random in how they are marked.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mimzie
It's a no for me. Bummer.

Well done people that got through!

Never mind! Which location did you select?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 415
Same. I can't see how I could of failed to get below 4, which was my threshold. They seem to be quite random in how they are marked. .

For my experience, I have led my team in the absence of my supervisor at my workplace so many times! I had to make effective decisions as well as lead and communicate effectively. This is retarded. Probably the last time I'll apply to be a civil servant :-(
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 416
Original post by Sk80gse
Never mind! Which location did you select?

Croydon.

I think I might look into a FOI/data protection request thingy because it will be really helpful to know how badly I cocked up for the future.
Original post by raykage
I feel the same.

For my experience, I have led my team in the absence of my supervisor at my workplace so many times! I had to make effective decisions as well as lead and communicate effectively. This is retarded. Probably the last time I'll apply to be a civil servant :-(

I got a reply (please remove the reference I edited out my example- I've realised that it can be used to easily identify me- surpassingly).

I wish they allowed you to see the competency statements you uploaded and gave the score you achieved. That way, you could tell how far off the mark you where. I've sent a few emails, but they are firmly refusing to say anything other than that I failed to pass the threshold.
(edited 7 years ago)
I do think it's terrible that scores aren't being shared. I think it must be a manpower thing because I have never known it to happen for any other civil service recruitment.
Reply 419
I got a reply (please remove the reference I edited out my example- I've realised that it can be used to easily identify me- surpassingly).

I wish they allowed you to see the competency statements you uploaded and gave the score you achieved. That way, you could tell how far off the mark you where. I've sent a few emails, but they are firmly refusing to say anything other than that I failed to pass the threshold.

Done.

Latest

Trending

Trending