The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leukocyte
Ameen.

That's so horrible: :frown:

"There was blood on the walls… They hit me and the others with anything they could lay their hands on, metal rods, shovels, pipes, cables. They walked on top of us with their boots," one survivor told Amnesty International.

Unfortunately it's going to get worse. These militias and parts of the Iraqi army are as bad as ISIS. Only difference is ISIS hates shias and these guys hate sunnis. Their time will run out and then all these groups and organisations will have to face the consequences of their actions before their Lord.
(edited 7 years ago)
A post by Shaykh Omar Suleiman which I read today:

An incredible Hadith narration from our Prophet (peace be upon him) about a nun in Abyssinia:

Jabir Ibn Abdullah (ra) narrates:

“When those who had crossed the sea (migrating to Abyssinia) came back to the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him), he said: ‘Why don’t you tell me of the wonders that you saw in the land of Abyssinia?’ Some young men among them said: ‘Yes, O Messenger of Allah. While we were sitting, one of their elderly nuns came past, carrying a vessel of water on her head. She passed by some of their youth, one of whom placed his hand between her shoulders and shoved her. She fell on her knees and her vessel of water broke. When she stood up, she turned to him and said: “You will come to know, oh foolish young man, that when Allah sets up his footstool on the Day of Judgement, and gathers the first and the last of His creation, and hands and feet speak of what they used to do, you will come to know of your situation and my situation.’” The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: ‘She spoke the truth, she spoke the truth! How can Allah honor a people that don't protect their vulnerable ones from their tyrants?!" (Ibn Majah)

When we fail to stand up for our oppressed and weak ones, Allah's mercy is lifted from us. As the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the heavens will be merciful to you." Notice that the Prophet (peace be upon him) didn't solely place the blame on the young man, but on the culture that cultivated his bad manners and allowed for that woman to be treated that way. Do not oppress, or tolerate oppression.
Wait I'm confused why is this happening? Does the iraqi army mostly consist of shias?

Ameen ya rabb

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leukocyte

Iirc it was to do with your identity not being exposed, after having trouble on other forums. Cool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was early on. Towards the end when it was no longer an issue, i removed the gender sign altogether because of the confusion. People who read my posts knew i was a brother, and i have never stated i was a sister, and for a while, did not bother changing it.

Really, it's my habit to assign random locations, genders, names, to preserve online anonymity as a whole. But i am pretty clear about things like gender. I made it clear to sisters that i was a brother, and if ever PM'D, made that clear there too.

I think it's best not to read too much into it.
Original post by beautifulxxx
Wait I'm confused why is this happening? Does the iraqi army mostly consist of shias?

Ameen ya rabb

Posted from TSR Mobile

Currently Mosul is under the control of ISIS. It's the last major city they hold in Iraq and it's majority sunni populated. The Iraqi army, along with Kurdish peshmarga and some international forces (e.g. US air support) is trying to take it back.

Yes the Iraqi army is majority shia (pretty sure on this) but they're not all bad, some of their ranks definitely are murderers though and civilians have spoken against them. Most of the problems stems from Shia militias who fight alongside the army. Now they're evil, pure scum. They have a habit of murdering and torturing innocent sunni civilians whenever they take control of a place back from ISIS e.g. Fallejah http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/06/iraq-civilians-recall-days-hell-militia-160616060343081.html .

So it's stupid with blood thirsty morons running around murdering people who aren't from their sect. ISIS killing shias and the shia militias killing sunnis.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4745

Ameen ya rabb

Posted from TSR Mobile

The majority of the Iraqi army does not engage in acts like that. The Iraqi army probably does consist mainly of shias, but with large contingents of sunni's , as well as kurds , christians and other groups.

According to Ayatullah Sistani , killing anyone for simply being a sunni, or simply being a shia is absolutely harram and forbidden. He is the highest shia religious authority in Iraq. The vast majority of shia's in the Iraqi army follow ayatullah sistani and his Fatwa's are clear.

Any group which commits crimes must be held to account , and actions never condoned.

But there are a few important things i need to mention here:

Due to the very volatile political nature of the conflict, it is essential to perform a thorough research on all claims. Daesh and other groups have been known to stir sectarian discord through stories and narratives, relying on trying to turn moderate sunni's against shias. This is a tactic they employed so well to take over many parts of Iraq. Therefore it is essential to not believe everything we read, and critically examine everything.

HOWEVER

The reports and stories could be true, either wholly or partially, and could have validity, and i whole heartedly condemn any soldier or group who has committed crimes against humanity or killed any innocent human being shia or sunni.

But the truth is, the majority of the Iraqi army, comprising of shias, sunnis, kurds, christians, have united together to get rid of the scourge that is DAESH from Iraq. No government minister, and no religious ruling body has given any authority to kill innocents - but rather, has forbidden it. The actions of rouge groups should be investigated, condemned, but never used in a way to generalise anything.

Promoting such a narrative plays right into the hands of Daesh, who have effectively used such narratives to devastating effect in their divide and conquer strategies.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4747
Guys those that kill the innocent have nothing to do with Islam and more to do with politics and because of the evil within.

Ameen ya rabb

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whenever you face cross-roads and are confused about an issue:

1. Empty your mind of any current ideas, conclusions, or thoughts

2. Look at the issue from as many angles, and as many sides.

Don't look at the individual reporting the news and then the truth, look at the truth, and then the individuals.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by h333
Guys those that kill the innocent have nothing to do with Islam and more to do with politics and because of the evil within.

Exactly.

I follow Ayatullah Sistan [highest shia ruling authority in Iraq and possible the world]i. Even shouting or swearing or saying a bad word to a sunni brother is seen as absolutely forbidden. In fact, it is highly encouraged to love, foster brotherhood, and good relations between sunni's and shias. Marriage to a sunni is considered permissible, and Ayatullah sistani asked us to not call sunni's our brothers, but our own souls. Hence my behaviour and my constant calls for unity.

Murdering innocent human beings has nothing to do with sunni Islam, and nothing to do with shia Islam, but sunni and shia islam are tools people use to divide and conquer.

I have never once in discussion of political conflicts labelled Daesh, Jabhat Al Nusra, Ahrar Asham, and alqaeda founded or cooperating groups as 'sunni groups' who 'loathe shias'. I don't use those secterian buzz words. In my eyes, they are not true sunni groups at all.

In the words of Ayatullah Fadlullah (rh):

"The blood of the innocent Sunnis and that of the innocent Shiites is Haram (prohibited) and whoever deems it lawful to kill them deserves God's punishment."

http://english.bayynat.org/Archive_news/bayan12102006.htm
(edited 7 years ago)

Ameen ya rabb

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think demographics show that 55-60% of Iraq is Shia, with 40-45% being Sunni. This would naturally mean that the army consist of more Shia than Sunni. In addition to this, the Sunnis inhabit mostly the border regions and the northern lands (and the Kurds are mostly Sunni too), whereas the Shia mainly hold the South:

The west of Iraq has fallen to Daesh and therefore there are less likely to be Sunni recruits for the army, which means that an even higher proportion of the army will be Shia.

One final point, is that I would have expected there to be more Sunni soldiers during the time Saddam Hussein (as he too was a Sunni); after the war, the army was disbanded, and the Ba'ath Party was too, which left hundreds of thousands of people without jobs, and obviously that would mean thousands of Sunni soldiers and party members. The army was then restructured and retrained by occupying forces, but it was only a fraction of the size. I do not have the demographic makeup of this new army, but it would be an educated guess that even less of the soldiers would be Sunni because of these post-Saddam policies which had subsequently alienated and angered them.

All this would therefore make the Sunni presence in the Iraqi army negligable.
Original post by Zamestaneh
I think demographics show that 55-60% of Iraq is Shia, with 40-45% being Sunni. This would naturally mean that the army consist of more Shia than Sunni. In addition to this, the Sunnis inhabit mostly the border regions and the northern lands (and the Kurds are mostly Sunni too), whereas the Shia mainly hold the South:

The west of Iraq has fallen to Daesh and therefore there are less likely to be Sunni recruits for the army, which means that an even higher proportion of the army will be Shia.

One final point, is that I would have expected there to be more Sunni soldiers during the time Saddam Hussein (as he too was a Sunni); after the war, the army was disbanded, and the Ba'ath Party was too, which left hundreds of thousands of people without jobs, and obviously that would mean thousands of Sunni soldiers and party members. The army was then restructured and retrained by occupying forces, but it was only a fraction of the size. I do not have the demographic makeup of this new army, but it would be an educated guess that even less of the soldiers would be Sunni because of these post-Saddam policies which had subsequently alienated and angered them.

Thank you for all the info. So as Ideas said things are not going to get any better, why are they venting their hatred towards innocent sunni civilians instead if ISIS then? Especially if ISIS hates them...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4752
Original post by Tawheed
Exactly.

I follow Ayatullah Sistani. Even shouting or swearing or saying a bad word to a sunni brother is seen as absolutely forbidden. In fact, it is highly encouraged to love, foster brotherhood, and good relations between sunni's and shias. Hence my behaviour and my constant calls for unity.

Murdering innocent human beings has nothing to do with sunni Islam, and nothing to do with shia Islam, but sunni and shia islam are tools people use to divide and conquer.

That is good bro you think like that but Muslims should anyway. All Muslims should follow our beloved Prophet (saw), we can't harm others because of their belief.

Of course those that are evil use Islam for their own purpose, they don't care about Islam or fear Allah swt.
(edited 7 years ago)
HHUGS fundraising dinner
http://hhugs.org.uk/amotherstale
Original post by IdeasForLife
Unfortunately it's going to get worse. These militias and parts of the Iraqi army are as bad as ISIS. Only difference is ISIS hates shias and these guys hate sunnis. Their time will run out and then all these groups and organisations will have to face the consequences of their actions before their Lord.

It will just be a repeat of what happened in Falloujah.
Where even those fleeing didn't escape. I remember seeing a video of an entire convoy of civilians burned to crisp which shows the charred remains of a child hugging their parent in one of the pickups. I don't watch graphics things and wasn't expecting to see that image, but when I saw. I couldn't sleep for days, it disturbed me.
Original post by Tawheed
The majority of the Iraqi army does not engage in acts like that. The Iraqi army probably does consist mainly of shias, but with large contingents of sunni's , as well as kurds , christians and other groups.

According to Ayatullah Sistani , killing anyone for simply being a sunni, or simply being a shia is absolutely harram and forbidden. He is the highest shia religious authority in Iraq. The vast majority of shia's in the Iraqi army follow ayatullah sistani and his Fatwa's are clear.

Any group which commits crimes must be held to account , and actions never condoned.

But there are a few important things i need to mention here:

Due to the very volatile political nature of the conflict, it is essential to perform a thorough research on all claims. Daesh and other groups have been known to stir sectarian discord through stories and narratives, relying on trying to turn moderate sunni's against shias. This is a tactic they employed so well to take over many parts of Iraq. Therefore it is essential to not believe everything we read, and critically examine everything.

HOWEVER

The reports and stories could be true, either wholly or partially, and could have validity, and i whole heartedly condemn any soldier or group who has committed crimes against humanity or killed any innocent human being shia or sunni.

But the truth is, the majority of the Iraqi army, comprising of shias, sunnis, kurds, christians, have united together to get rid of the scourge that is DAESH from Iraq. No government minister, and no religious ruling body has given any authority to kill innocents - but rather, has forbidden it. The actions of rouge groups should be investigated, condemned, but never used in a way to generalise anything.

Promoting such a narrative plays right into the hands of Daesh, who have effectively used such narratives to devastating effect in their divide and conquer strategies.

Okay so I agree with you when you stress the importance of aquiring knowledge from trust worthy sources, may I ask where you get those sources from then?
Do you think the report above is innacurate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Al-farhan
It will just be a repeat of what happened in Falloujah.
Where even those fleeing didn't escape. I remember seeing a video of an entire convoy of civilians burned to crisp which shows the charred remains of a child hugging their parent in one of the pickups. I don't watch graphics things and wasn't expecting to see that image, but when I saw. I couldn't sleep for days, it disturbed me.

Yep. These militias are crazy. Mosul's only hope is if the Turks backstab the Iraqis and their militia friends, doubt anything of that sort will happen though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IdeasForLife
Currently Mosul is under the control of ISIS. It's the last major city they hold in Iraq and it's majority sunni populated. The Iraqi army, along with Kurdish peshmarga and some international forces (e.g. US air support) is trying to take it back.

Yes the Iraqi army is majority shia (pretty sure on this) but they're not all bad, some of their ranks definitely are murderers though and civilians have spoken against them. Most of the problems stems from Shia militias who fight alongside the army. Now they're evil, pure scum. They have a habit of murdering and torturing innocent sunni civilians whenever they take control of a place back from ISIS e.g. Fallejah http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/06/iraq-civilians-recall-days-hell-militia-160616060343081.html .

So it's stupid with blood thirsty morons running around murdering people who aren't from their sect. ISIS killing shias and the shia militias killing sunnis.

If ISIS is killing shias and they're aware of that why aren't they killing them back instead of attacking sunnis..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zamestaneh

There are large sunni tribal militias that were wanting to join the mousil offensive (trained by the truks) I'm not sure if they have joined though, since Baghdad ruled only the army and Peshmerga to carry the offensive.
Side note: the thing that I don't understand is why these tribal militias (who have been an effective fighting force against qaeda and isis) did not gain as much support and funding as the hashid shia militias from bhagdad. When iraq needs every help to get rid of isis.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you for all the info. So as Ideas said things are not going to get any better, why are they venting their hatred towards innocent sunni civilians instead if ISIS then? Especially if ISIS hates them...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it's a sectarian conflict which has been raging on since before ISIS - after the Iraq war, a number of the disillusioned Sunni soldiers who had been dispanded joined resistence groups and terror groups. These groups fought against government and occupying forces, as well as Shia militia in the south. Some of these groups would bomb Shia populated areas, shrines etc, and equally these militia would carry out retalition attacks. When ISIS formed out of one of these terror groups, they simply carried on doing what they had been doing for years i.e. attacking Shia. The Shia militia used to be smaller, but as ISIS has grown, they have received increasing amounts of funding and arms from Iran, and therefore they have grown massively, and it is arguable that they have more power than the official Iraqi army; their longstanding grudges remained the same, thus they carry out attacks and abuses in retaliation on a larger scale now, and again, it's not limited to killing ISIS and its supporters, because this is a pre-ISIS grudge.

Because of this hatred and suspicion, it is not abnormal for the Iraqi soldiers and militia troops to have contempt for the people they are 'liberating' - if they aren't ISIS soldiers, then they are ISIS supporters in their eyes, and if they aren't ISIS supporters, then well tough luck I guess.

Latest

Trending

Trending