What is the maximum value of 2sin^x - sinx + 1/3

Draw it?
Reply 2
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Draw it?

I dont know how to draw it all together
Original post by Carman3

Notice that the given expression is just a function of sinx\sin x so the question is equivalent to 'What is the maximum value of 2y2y+132y^2-y+\frac{1}{3}?' where yy is restricted to a certain interval (which you know).
Original post by Carman3
I dont know how to draw it all together

Ok, first, in the question did they say to use any particular methods etc?
Is this A-level?
Reply 5
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Notice that the given expression is just a function of sinx\sin x so the question is equivalent to 'What is the maximum value of 2y2y+132y^2-y+\frac{1}{3}?' where yy is restricted to a certain interval (which you know).

You cant factorise the y equation so how do you do it... Plus its a positive quadratic so it wouldnt have a maximum would it?
First consider the variable factor sin(x) 1sin(x)1 -1\leq sin(x) \leq 1 usually you would consider sin(x) = 1, sin(x) =0 or sin(x) =-1 to see which one gives the maximum value.
Original post by Carman3
You cant factorise the y equation so how do you do it... Plus its a positive quadratic so it wouldnt have a maximum would it?

Factorising has nothing to do with locating maxima/minima. You would complete the square to find the maximum/minimum of a quadratic (this is basic C1 knowledge, but not sure what stage you're at in school).

And yes it's a positive quadratic but I did mention that yy i.e. sinx\sin x is restricted to a certain interval that you know, so it has a maximum.
Reply 8
Factorising has nothing to do with locating maxima/minima. You would complete the square to find the maximum/minimum of a quadratic (this is basic C1 knowledge, but not sure what stage you're at in school).

And yes it's a positive quadratic but I did mention that yy i.e. sinx\sin x is restricted to a certain interval that you know, so it has a maximum.

Can you show me how to do it i cant get it
Original post by Carman3
Can you show me how to do it i cant get it

You're trying to maximise the function 2y2y+132y^2-y+\frac{1}{3} with the restriction that 1y1-1 \leq y \leq 1.

So first, complete the square. Then think about which value of yy between 1-1 and 11 (inclusive) is going to maximise the function.
Reply 10
You're trying to maximise the function 2y2y+132y^2-y+\frac{1}{3} with the restriction that 1y1-1 \leq y \leq 1.

So first, complete the square. Then think about which value of yy between 1-1 and 11 (inclusive) is going to maximise the function.

ok i get it thanks. how do you know if they are talking about the max/min value which would be the vertex or the maximum/min overall value like the above
Original post by Carman3
ok i get it thanks. how do you know if they are talking about the max/min value which would be the vertex or the maximum/min overall value like the above

It's not about which one they're talking about, it's about what the function is. 2sin2xsinx+132\sin^2 x - \sin x + \frac{1}{3} is not the same function as 2x2x+132x^2-x+\frac{1}{3} (which is a parabola with a vertex and such). It's just that the maximum of 2sin2xsinx+132\sin^2 x - \sin x + \frac{1}{3} is going to be the same as that of the function 2x2x+132x^2-x+\frac{1}{3} restricted to 1x1-1 \leq x \leq 1, since sine can only take those values.
Original post by Carman3

To get the maximum value:
we want the maximum value of 2sin2x2\mathrm{sin}^2 \, x
we want the minimum value of sinx\mathrm{sin} \, x as we are subtracting it from our maximum of 2sin2x2\mathrm{sin}^2 \, x
we cannot change 13\frac{1}{3} as it is a constant

Solution

Spoiler

i would use differentiation :dontknow:
Original post by some-student
we want the minimum value of sinx\mathrm{sin} \, x as we are subtracting it from our maximum of 2sin2x2\mathrm{sin}^2 \, x

Solution

Spoiler

Yep good approach for this particular problem but OP should remember that this method does not work in general for similar functions.
Reply 15
Original post by some-student

Solution

Spoiler

Thanks...
Dont answer the question from the paper as i havent tried it yet but would you also do the same for this: and similar questions as well

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/www.tutorfair.com/resources/attachments/d3a7c8252adc8fd22abb6bc1a79d877756dfc5cd_1.pdf

Question 1E
Yep good approach for this particular problem but OP should remember that this method does not work in general for similar functions.

Yeah - I should comment that this problem only happens as when sinx=1\mathrm{sin}x = -1, it lines up with sin2x=1\mathrm{sin}^2x = 1, and this isn't always the case.

I don't see a need to complete the square here, although it is a technique that you need to know and is useful for sketching the function.

As it's a parabola with a positive y2y^2 coefficient, you know that the maximum value over any range is going to be at the end of the range. For a symmetric range, the negative yy coefficient tells you which end, or simply trying the two values.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RogerOxon
I don't see a need to complete the square here, although it is a technique that you need to know and is useful for sketching the function.

As it's a parabola with a positive y2y^2 coefficient, you know that the maximum value over any range is going to be at the end of the range. For a symmetric range, the negative yy coefficient tells you which end, or simply trying the two values.

Yeah that's true, but I was trying to show them explicitly how this works.
Yeah that's true, but I was trying to show them explicitly how this works.

Fair enough.

Quick Reply

Latest