The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by molly221
Thank you to everyone who helped me with my previous question. Very much appreciated and helped a lot.

These are the questions I was unsure how to do question 1: D, H, I, J in the 2009 paper and I was wondering if anyone could explain how to do these questions?

Thank you so much in advance.

H:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know what I am doing wrong but I am getting nowhere with MAT. I am really good at maths at school, one of the best in my year, but MAT questions just throw me off. My confidence in doing these is below 0 especially after doing the 2015, and now I am seriously questioning my degree choice.
I am doing well in the multiple chpice so if anyone has any tips on how to tackle or if its just you either can or can't do it then please tell me. I am serioiusly giving up after one question.
Original post by Mystery.
I don't know what I am doing wrong but I am getting nowhere with MAT. I am really good at maths at school, one of the best in my year, but MAT questions just throw me off. My confidence in doing these is below 0 especially after doing the 2015, and now I am seriously questioning my degree choice.
I am doing well in the multiple chpice so if anyone has any tips on how to tackle or if its just you either can or can't do it then please tell me. I am serioiusly giving up after one question.

normally 25% of people don't even score above 35, i wouldnt worry too much if you are doing good in multiple choice and question 6,7

Thank you so much
Original post by KloppOClock
normally 25% of people don't even score above 35, i wouldnt worry too much if you are doing good in multiple choice and question 6,7

Really??
However, I am unlikely to be interviewed at 35 lol
Sadly, I don't do 6 and 7 because I am applying for maths itself.. which is a shame because those seem a little easier (atleast when I tried one for fun)
Original post by Mystery.
Really??
However, I am unlikely to be interviewed at 35 lol
Sadly, I don't do 6 and 7 because I am applying for maths itself.. which is a shame because those seem a little easier (atleast when I tried one for fun)

oh i thought you were doing computer science, im doing it for maths too. and yeah, questions 6 and 7 are way better
Reply 446
Is it just me or is the 2015 paper a massive step up from all the other papers?
Original post by joodaa

yeah i dont know how the average score stayed around the same as the previous years
Reply 448
yeah i dont know how the average score stayed around the same as the previous years

ikr! I'm working through it now it it seems like even the types of questions has changed hmmm
Original post by joodaa

That paper can do one
for 2015 question 4 part i, I don't get why m=0. I mean I know how they got to m=0 but I don't know why that means m is 0

if you have a circle of (xm)2+(yh)2=r2\displaystyle (x-m)^2 + (y-h)^2 = r^2
and all you know is that it passes through (-1,0) and (1,0)
then couldn't m,h,r = -1,+1,1
or
m,h,r = -2,2,5

all these values give a circle that passes through those points??
Reply 451
Quick question when u use the trapezium rule how do you work out how many strips are needed for an over/underestimate
Reply 452
for 2015 question 4 part i, I don't get why m=0. I mean I know how they got to m=0 but I don't know why that means m is 0

if you have a circle of (xm)2+(yh)2=r2\displaystyle (x-m)^2 + (y-h)^2 = r^2
and all you know is that it passes through (-1,0) and (1,0)
then couldn't m,h,r = -1,+1,1
or
m,h,r = -2,2,5

all these values give a circle that passes through those points??

That was the only part of the question I could do ( I think)
I put those two points into the equation and got 2 simultaneous ones where h and r cancelled out leaving 4m equals 0, so m equals 0 if that makes sense.
Original post by 11234
Quick question when u use the trapezium rule how do you work out how many strips are needed for an over/underestimate

either by inspection or algebraically

For inspection, just draw a graph and draw on the trapeziums and see if its and over or under by looking, although doing this is quicker, you could inspect it wrong

For algebraically, just workout the area normally by integration or whatever, then do the trapezium rule and compare the areas for each n value, although this is slower, its less risky
I REALLY hope this year's paper isn't like last year's.
Reply 455
either by inspection or algebraically

For inspection, just draw a graph and draw on the trapeziums and see if its and over or under by looking, although doing this is quicker, you could inspect it wrong

For algebraically, just workout the area normally by integration or whatever, then do the trapezium rule and compare the areas for each n value, although this is slower, its less risky

how do u do it by inspection?
Original post by 11234
how do u do it by inspection?

draw out the graph on a y and x axis,

say you are looking at the area between 0<x<4
and you wanted to test 2 strips of equal length 2
you draw a vertical line upwards from 0,2,4 up to the graph and then connect the top of each vertical line the top of the adjacent lines, then you look at the area of your trapeziums in comparison the the graph and see which is bigger.
the bigger you draw your graph, the easier it is to compare
Reply 457
draw out the graph on a y and x axis,

say you are looking at the area between 0<x<4
and you wanted to test 2 strips of equal length 2
you draw a vertical line upwards from 0,2,4 up to the graph and then connect the top of each vertical line the top of the adjacent lines, then you look at the area of your trapeziums in comparison the the graph and see which is bigger.
the bigger you draw your graph, the easier it is to compare

thanks makes a lot of sense now. Whats your average scores so far?
Original post by 11234
thanks makes a lot of sense now. Whats your average scores so far?

i dont think i can really give an average lol, ive gotten scores from 30-85
Reply 459
i dont think i can really give an average lol, ive gotten scores from 30-85

lol yea mine vary quite a bit as well. Do u do any olympiad maths. I'm using some olympiad and step to help prep....though dont know how relevant they are

Latest

Trending

Trending