The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PJJ12345
I noticed earlier in the thread that you were talking about the behavioural test, i was wondering if you could help me? Are you supposed to use every option on each statement, for instance Disagree, Slightly disagree, Slightly agree, Agree or can you can you use agree multiple times in response to one statement. Thanks in advance.

Not sure what you mean. There's 1 line per question - you can only give one response per question. On a single page you do not have to rank them, you just put what is true of yourself.
Hi,

To anyone that's taken the etray, how long does it take to complete?

Also, is it just choosing responses or do you have to actually write a reply?

Thanks!
Original post by Bulbasaur
Not sure what you mean. There's 1 line per question - you can only give one response per question. On a single page you do not have to rank them, you just put what is true of yourself.

Ah ok, i think that is where i got confused, i thought you had to rank them through a agree, slightly agree etc. But them being all independent statements makes more sense. Thank you.
Reply 523
Just finished Etray and honestly it was not easy coz there is a lot of information to read which you have to remember as it affects your responses to the emails you will be answering. For those asking about a written test, the Etray does not have one, its simply about replying to emails about your most likely and least likely response. All the best to those who are yet to do it.
Original post by PJJ12345
Ah ok, i think that is where i got confused, i thought you had to rank them through a agree, slightly agree etc. But them being all independent statements makes more sense. Thank you.

Worth mentioning that while you individually say whether each statement you strongly agree, agree, disagree or strongly disagree with. For each 4 questions on a page you also need to choose one which is most like you and one which is least like you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did my E tray today. Barely finished. So hard!

Did not get to check the background information as much as I would have liked, so a few of my responses were not based on the facts, so probably getting rejected. How long does it take to get the rejection or acceptance to come through?

Also, I read that an alt route into the civil service is applying for Administrative Officer grade positions normally. Has anyone else heard this? Would they accept a fresh faced graduate?
I tried to do my etray and it kicked me out when i went to click onto viewing the actual emails. Got an error now it won't let me back in. Have had to email to see if there's anything they can do to help.
Bit the bullet and just finished the Etray - so hard to gauge whether it went OK or not......
Original post by IllmaticDragon

Did not get to check the background information as much as I would have liked, so a few of my responses were not based on the facts, so probably getting rejected. How long does it take to get the rejection or acceptance to come through?

Also, I read that an alt route into the civil service is applying for Administrative Officer grade positions normally. Has anyone else heard this? Would they accept a fresh faced graduate?

How did you approach the e tray..did you spend the first 20 minutes reading the background info like they suggested or did you just dive in.. i tried reading all yhe background information first but it took me a lot more time than 20minutes because im a slow reader and tend to reread stuff over just for it to check-in. By the end of the test i didn't have enough time to finish all yhe questions. Left 2 out
Original post by warratz10
How did you approach the e tray..did you spend the first 20 minutes reading the background info like they suggested or did you just dive in.. i tried reading all yhe background information first but it took me a lot more time than 20minutes because im a slow reader and tend to reread stuff over just for it to check-in. By the end of the test i didn't have enough time to finish all yhe questions. Left 2 out

I took 20 minutes to read. Skipped one or two of the readings, but oh well, always next year.

I kept key ideas and aims in mind
So hard to discuss without giving someone reading it an unfair advantage lol
Original post by twister123
Does anyone else keep putting off their Etray?? Mine runs out on Tuesday but I am too nervous to do it!

Original post by gingerwizard
I'm the exact same, was going to do it today as mine runs out on tuesday but leaving it till tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's honestly not too bad! It's not something you can prep for or anything, it's just a lot of information. If you can cope with writing degree essays, you can do it!! :smile:

Original post by polecon
Hi,

To anyone that's taken the etray, how long does it take to complete?

Also, is it just choosing responses or do you have to actually write a reply?

Thanks!

It took me the whole 80 minutes, and I can't see how anyone could do it below that. It is just choosing responses, no written replies required.
Just done the e-tray.

As others have said it was certainly very difficult and I can't see how it could be comfortably done with much time to spare, I think I had about 2 or 3 minutes left at the end. It was difficult, but I cannot recommend enough spending the first 20 minutes calmly reading what you can.

I think the idea is that you don't need to remember everything you read, but just grasp the key aims and objectives as well as remember where the information is should you need it and need to go back to it.

Good luck everybody, think the e-tray might have killed me off this time though. See you all next year.

P.s. if anybody has any useful info I could put to applicants in the OP (links to practice test sites or advice or anything like that) please quote me and let me know.
Now everybody has worried me! I managed to finish with about 15 minutes spare at the end.

I spent the first 20 mins or so reading everything and taking brief notes and then as the emails came in I went back to refer to the documents, although didn't really focus on the aims and objectives too much - just tried to work through it logically based on the background docs - although i'm now worried I completely glossed over key objectives (aside from a few) - and had time left! Ah well!
Reading all your comments inspired me to also bite the bullet.

I'm just glad it's over.

Now for the dreaded wait..

#allaboard
still waiting for my E-Tray.. i did the tests on the 15/16th i think?
Original post by IllmaticDragon

I applied to the fast stream last application cycle and narrowly missed out. I have reapplied again and need to do my etray.

I applied direct for Executive Officer posts when I found out that I was unsuccessful and I started in August just after graduating, managing a team of 12 staff... As it is all competency based, you dont need to worry about being "fresh out of uni". I am a line manager with no previous experience!

Best of luck with your application(s) :smile:
I found this practice E-Treay from Cubiks (the same people who provide the actual E-Tray). About 30 minutes long and gives you an idea of what to expect. Just ignore the part about the written test since that's not included anymore. I got 7/8 and the one I got wrong I chose the 2nd most likely as opposed to the first so I'm feeling fairly confident but who knows. Anyway, the link to the practice test is here;
http://www.cubiksonline.com/Cubiks/Etray3/Instructions/ShowInstructionsForEtray.

I'm doing my test tomorrow after putting it off for so long. I know it's not something you can really prepare for, but seeing how others have found it hard, I decided that I might as well get some extra practice before hand. Good luck all!
Original post by linney
Now everybody has worried me! I managed to finish with about 15 minutes spare at the end.

I spent the first 20 mins or so reading everything and taking brief notes and then as the emails came in I went back to refer to the documents, although didn't really focus on the aims and objectives too much - just tried to work through it logically based on the background docs - although i'm now worried I completely glossed over key objectives (aside from a few) - and had time left! Ah well!

I don't think you should worry honestly. From the practice one I did, 3/4 of the information was completely useless. You're probably a fast reader lol. :tongue:
Reply 538
I'm going to do my e-tray tomorrow too since it expires on Tuesday, a bit apprehensive after reading people's comments! Good luck everyone :smile:
These links are so helpful, thank you everyone! :yes::yy:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending