The Student Room Group

How bad is shakespeare/webster at A-level?

I'm more of a contemporary sort of guy so i'm into things like Frankenstein, the great gatsby, steinbeck, orwell etc. Shakespeare doesnt really appeal to me so much. Will i have a hard time at english lit if a lot of the course is shakespeare/webster?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Hi! I do English Lit A Level and I was in the same position - I much prefer contemporary literature. Having said that, I studied Measure for Measure last year at AS and am about to start The Duchess of Malfi. I really enjoyed the Shakespeare play and I didn't expect to! I even got a better mark in that exam - I would say give it a go from my experience as I really enjoyed it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by cg99
Hi! I do English Lit A Level and I was in the same position - I much prefer contemporary literature. Having said that, I studied Measure for Measure last year at AS and am about to start The Duchess of Malfi. I really enjoyed the Shakespeare play and I didn't expect to! I even got a better mark in that exam - I would say give it a go from my experience as I really enjoyed it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm studying the Duchess of Malfi :biggrin:D the language is quite weird for me and i'm quite unfamiliar with it but the plot is good and easy to understand. I have to write tons of essays on it though.
Reply 4
Original post by 0lut0
I'm studying the Duchess of Malfi :biggrin:D the language is quite weird for me and i'm quite unfamiliar with it but the plot is good and easy to understand. I have to write tons of essays on it though.

I haven't started it yet! My class is starting it after half term but I'm worried it won't be as good as Shakespeare and that the quotes will be hard to remember! That makes me feel slightly better that it's easy to write about, I would really like an A this year 😬

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending