The Student Room Group

Doing A levels during a full time job??

I'll be doing 37 hours a week at a hospital. I'm not going to sixth form/college so will be doing the exams as an external student and will be doing all the studying on my own? I'll be doing A2 maths (I got B in AS), A2 Psychology (Got a C in AS) and AS and A2 Religious Studies (Cause I need a third option). I'm not sure if this is unrealistic but I really want to apply for Nursing in the coming year and if I have the grades then it will be so much easier and I can spend a year working/relaxing if I get offers. Idk am I setting myself up for failure?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bluemadhatter
I'll be doing 37 hours a week at a hospital. I'm not going to sixth form/college so will be doing the exams as an external student and will be doing all the studying on my own? I'll be doing A2 maths (I got B in AS), A2 Psychology (Got a C in AS) and AS and A2 Religious Studies (Cause I need a third option). I'm not sure if this is unrealistic but I really want to apply for Nursing in the coming year and if I have the grades then it will be so much easier and I can spend a year working/relaxing if I get offers. Idk am I setting myself up for failure?

I did the same, I worked as waiter whilst studying and came out with AAC (Maths, chem and Geography), I'm retaking a few units this year. Just revise and you will be fine.

Should be fine as long as you prioritise. There are a few mature students who do this. I've known one guy who worked 40 hrs (5pm -1am) a week, went to school everyday and got good grades, so it's definitely possible. You're paying for the exams with your hard earned money should be enough incentive to do well. There's no need to take AS Religious studies exams though, as it's linear, just take the A level exams.
(edited 7 years ago)
It will be incredibly difficult. If you're not very intelligent, avoid
Original post by Raizelcadres
I did the same, I worked as waiter whilst studying and came out with AAC (Maths, chem and Geography), I'm retaking a few units this year. Just revise and you will be fine.

Oh wow those results are amazing :hugs: Did you work full time as well?

Original post by NotNotBatman
Should be fine as long as you prioritise. There are a few mature students who do this. I've known one guy who worked 40 hrs (5pm -1am) a week, went to school everyday and got good grades, so it's definitely possible. You paying for the exams with your hard earned money should be enough incentive to do well. There's no need to take AS Religious studies exams though, as it's linear, just take the A level exams.

Thanks :smile: That's true, I wont want to give up easily knowing I'm spending a lot on it :lol: That's true :h:

Original post by A-LJLB
It will be incredibly difficult. If you're not very intelligent, avoid

How do I know if I'm intelligent?
I think it's extremely difficult but if you are motivated you should be okay.
Thanks for your sharing. Your article is very useful, it gives me more understanding.
Original post by loveleest
I think it's extremely difficult but if you are motivated you should be okay.

Okay :smile:
Oh wow those results are amazing :hugs: Did you work full time as well?

Thanks :smile: That's true, I wont want to give up easily knowing I'm spending a lot on it :lol: That's true :h:

How do I know if I'm intelligent?

I worked 40-45 hours a week. Usually worked from 9- 5 and I payed for my exams like in late november. I stopped working around late march and focused entirely on doing past papers and going over stuff I would get wrong. Btw at the start I was so tired when I came home from work but I slowly got used to it.
(edited 7 years ago)
I worked 40-45 hours a week. Usually worked from 9- 6 and I payed for my exams like in late november. I stopped working around late march and focused entirely on doing past papers and going over stuff I would get wrong. Btw at the start I was so tired when I came home from work but I slowly got used to it.

How did your organise your time? Did you still get 8 hours sleep? I don't think I would be able to stop working until at least a month before exams...
How did your organise your time? Did you still get 8 hours sleep? I don't think I would be able to stop working until at least a month before exams...

I would wake up at 5:30 and eat breakfast than revise ( 20 min revision with 5 min break) until 8 o'clock than leave for work. During work in my break I would go over each of my subjects definitions (which are just boring). I would leave work at 5:00 and get home at around 6 (sorry I accidentally wrote 9-6 on my other post), I would eat, drink some tea whilst watching a show, at around 7 I would begin revision (same 20 min with 5 min break) and do this until 9:30 than I would read a book and do some exercise to tire myself out, I would go to sleep at 10:00. I worked Mon-Fri so on weekends I studied around 4-5 hours and do past papers and would just watch a movie every sunday. I learnt that I only required a little bit of motivation and the rest was disciplining myself and not to be stressed. You have plenty of time until your exams start so get cracking ( lol I haven't even started my revision). Hope this is of some advice.
(edited 7 years ago)

Why can't you stop working at least a month before?
Why can't you stop working at least a month before?

My contract is 18 months and I only have a 28 day annual leave
My contract is 18 months and I only have a 28 day annual leave

Ah crap, what happens if you quit earlier than that?
Ah crap, what happens if you quit earlier than that?

i wont have a job for the rest of the time (a year and a half)?? and I work for NHS so I'm lucky enough to have got this job in the first place
i wont have a job for the rest of the time (a year and a half)?? and I work for NHS so I'm lucky enough to have got this job in the first place

Try talking to them to see if you can sort something out. But if nothing can be done and you slip up in a few exams (God forbid) just retake them next year.
bump

I can't really talk much from personal experience but my mum studied RS, English Language and some kind of sports thing whilst working two jobs and me on top of it all and she got into Manchester University so if she can do it you can

HI madhatter, I am really digging this discussion and I was wondering if you could give us an update on how its going with you.What has been the biggest challenges of doing 3 A-levels whilst working full time?I am considering following in your footsteps, but I am a little hesitant.
Original post by ChemicalChance
HI madhatter, I am really digging this discussion and I was wondering if you could give us an update on how its going with you.What has been the biggest challenges of doing 3 A-levels whilst working full time?I am considering following in your footsteps, but I am a little hesitant.

Decided not to do the A levels and just continue with health and social care level 3 which I have to do with the course anyway. Its hard enough trying to do coursework whilst I work full time so I wouldnt dream of doing A levels :lol: It would just be too much stress that I am in no position to handle.

Quick Reply

Latest