The Student Room Group

Birthcake banned in schools to stop kids from getting 'fat'

Birthday cake and sweets are being banned from schools across the UK

:fuhrer:

From the Daily Mail

'Your child always receives a birthday card, and the class wish him or her a happy birthday. There is no need for parents to provide sweets or any other items for birthdays.' Grayshott Church of England Primary in Hindhead, Surrey, said it was focusing on healthy eating, adding: 'Children will no longer be able to hand out sweets, cakes or treats on their birthday.'

Schools have decided that unhealthy treats should no longer be allowed because of growing obesity and are telling parents that sweet foods are banned.

They're also concerned that nuts in cakes may trigger nut allergies.

Too far?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by She-Ra

From the Daily Mail

Schools have decided that unhealthy treats should no longer be allowed because of growing obesity and are telling parents that sweet foods are banned.

Too far?

Too far fam. Like it's hardly everyone's birthday everyday and a cake once in a while isn't harmful.

With the nut allergy thing, 2 girls in yr 7 have airbourne nut allergies and the whole school can't eat nuts which is ridiculous but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Original post by Mrs.Grey
Too far fam. Like it's hardly everyone's birthday everyday and a cake once in a while isn't harmful.

With the nut allergy thing, 2 girls in yr 7 have airbourne nut allergies and the whole school can't eat nuts which is ridiculous but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I feel like young people need to be taught the value of food. Part of the problem is schools not having time to share what good food is in terms of nutrition and even if they do, it isn't followed up at home. I wonder if that means they'll stop serving biscuits and other baked goods at break and lunchtime?

Oh wow - that is intense but you're right, they have to do what they have to do.
It is probably too far, but my secondary school banned all these things straight from the start, so I can't say I know how sharing out sweets in secondary feels like.
Although it was fun in primary school, I guess.
Reply 4
I think it's fair enough. It's always such a waste of time to have a kid walk around and give out sweets. Plus if I was a parent I'd rather know what my kid eats and not have them eating random crap at school.
Original post by She-Ra

From the Daily Mail

Too far?

Lol seriously !! Chocolates are good fr children its just not good fr adults !!! :wink:
Original post by Mrs.Grey

I used to work at a public school. Their policy about allergies was that they would try to avoid serving common allergy-causing foodstuffs like peanuts in the canteen, but they couldn't guarantee an allergen free environment for every single various allergy as at the end of the day it was up to the boys to manage their own allergies and make sure they always had their epipens with them etc.

On the other hand of the spectrum, an 18 year old girl at the affiliated girls' school died from an anaphylactic shock after eating a piece of cake at a birthday party which she knew contained something she was allergic to. So I guess you can't trust all kids to manage their allergies properly...
Reply 7
Just encouraging yet more unhealthy behaviour, forget moderation, do everything to excess or not at all.
Reply 8
'Birthcake banned' pahaha
who cares anyway, this is from the dailymail who only care about sensationalist stories and post utter tripe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by fgn
Just encouraging yet more unhealthy behaviour, forget moderation, do everything to excess or not at all.

Who says they can't eat sweets at all? They are simply banning the birthday sharing of sweets and cakes. You can still eat your own sweets during breaks or at home. Why is that a problem?
Too far. A few sweets aren't going to make them fat, so focusing on this because of "childhood obesity" is kind of pointless given the much bigger issues at play with the problem. Let kids be kids.
Reply 11
Original post by Nadile
Who says they can't eat sweets at all?

What's the point then? Oh it makes your job easier, I see.
I think it's a shame. A couple of sweets every now and then isn't going to hurt. I remember things like that from primary school fondly.

I get it with allergies and stuff, but we used to bring in those little bags of haribo. One for each kid. I don't think that's a big problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by She-Ra

From the Daily Mail

Too far?

Talk about ruining childhoods.
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I think it's a shame. A couple of sweets every now and then isn't going to hurt. I remember things like that from primary school fondly.

I get it with allergies and stuff, but we used to bring in those little bags of haribo. One for each kid. I don't think that's a big problem

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly, they're acting like one sweet exceeds the recommended amount.
I feel like its unhealthy to ban foods.
you should eat junk food as a treat. birthdays only come about once a year, so you dont get to eat birthday cake that much even if there is say 30 people in the class.
I feel that there is so many obese children is that because they are not active enough eg sit and play xbox all day.
'Birthcake' sounds hideous lmao

Is it placenta-infused fruit and nut cake? Colin the (umbilical) cord cake?
Misleading DM drivel. Big deal you missed out on a slice of Bday cake. Who actually takes them in these days. There was no ban on taking your own sweets. Drama .

Update just to add

For those people complaining. Do you celebrate your birthday at school by bringing a cake and sweets in for the class?

This happened through all your school years including sixth form? If not when did it stop?

It happens at work.
(edited 7 years ago)
But birthday cake is too good :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by fgn
What's the point then? Oh it makes your job easier, I see.

My job? What job?
Having the "go around during a lesson to give out sweets" is a waste of time, delays teaching and let's be fair, some idiot kid will be too dumb to remember their allergies and will probably die eventually. Why can't kids just celebrate their birthday outside of school, or during breaks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending