The Student Room Group

Nuffield Research Placements 2017

With applications just opened I figured this would be a good time to open this thread. Who else is thinking about doing it? What are you doing? How is your personal statement?

2018 Nuffield Research Placements Thread HERE
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zeldor711
With applications just opened I figured this would be a good time to open this thread. Who else is thinking about doing it? What are you doing? How is your personal statement?

A new thread! How exciting!I did mine last year so anyone doing it feel free to fire questions at me and I will try and answer them/help you all as best I can!Good evening and good luck! I encourage you to apply - tis an incredible experience!
Cheese :h:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
A new thread! How exciting!I did mine last year so anyone doing it feel free to fire questions at me and I will try and answer them/help you all as best I can!Good evening and good luck! I encourage you to apply - tis an incredible experience!Cheese :h:
I also completed a Nuffield placement this year and will be able to answer any questions. Completely agree with Cheese- it is an amazing opportunity and I got so much out of doing my placement :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
A new thread! How exciting!I did mine last year so anyone doing it feel free to fire questions at me and I will try and answer them/help you all as best I can!Good evening and good luck! I encourage you to apply - tis an incredible experience!

What did you do in your placement? How did you find it all? Do you think it would help with uni applications? I was thinking of doing something with physics. What exactly did you do? ill think of more qs later my brain is dead rn but anyways thanks!
Original post by Labrador99
I also completed a Nuffield placement this year and will be able to answer any questions. Completely agree with Cheese- it is an amazing opportunity and I got so much out of doing my placement :smile:

:yy: :smile:

Original post by borborygmus
What did you do in your placement? How did you find it all? Do you think it would help with uni applications? I was thinking of doing something with physics. What exactly did you do? ill think of more qs later my brain is dead rn but anyways thanks!

My placement was at the uni of Brighton, I had to design and test an experimental setup for a normal fuel injector with liquid nitrogen as a spray
I also had to collate recent works in the area in a summary of research paper findings :tongue:

It was daunting at first but absolutely fine, relaxed and I had help and advice along the way :smile:

I'm currently applying to unis etc now, i had an interview last week and talking about it is fun, it comes across as impressive so i think it does :wink:

Although i applied for a chemistry /physics related placement mine turned out to be physics /engineering based

Hope this helped, feel free to ask more :smile:
:yy: :smile:

My placement was at the uni of Brighton, I had to design and test an experimental setup for a normal fuel injector with liquid nitrogen as a spray
I also had to collate recent works in the area in a summary of research paper findings :tongue:

It was daunting at first but absolutely fine, relaxed and I had help and advice along the way :smile:

I'm currently applying to unis etc now, i had an interview last week and talking about it is fun, it comes across as impressive so i think it does :wink:

Although i applied for a chemistry /physics related placement mine turned out to be physics /engineering based

Hope this helped, feel free to ask more :smile:

Was the work hard? Or was it a bit challenging for your level of understanding? also were you given accommodation? did you have to pay for anything? i cant seem to find this information on the website, or maybe im just not looking in the right place... either way thanks a lot for your help! :biggrin:
Original post by borborygmus
Was the work hard? Or was it a bit challenging for your level of understanding? also were you given accommodation? did you have to pay for anything? i cant seem to find this information on the website, or maybe im just not looking in the right place... either way thanks a lot for your help! :biggrin:

There were hard parts. For example: designing the rig was daunting and I had to ask my supervisors and the lab technician for guidance and also a phD student helped me out :yep: but I got it done and it wasn't too bad!I was given lots to read etc. so my level of understanding improved as I went along :smile:
No accommodation no... They reimburse all travel expenses! I actually got paid mine yesterday :rofl: (the cost of my train tickets :wink: ) You have to keep all receipts, fill in forms, send them receipts and also do it on the online system but they'll tell you about it nearer the time :yep:
I paid for my lunch and that was it :tongue:

no problem :yy:Keep firing questions at me :colone:
Reply 7
Hi there
Thinking to go for it coming summer but wondering do we have to be full time at the placement as Ian thinking of doing medicine so will have to prepare for UK CAT and BMat.
Original post by AD1505
Hi there
Thinking to go for it coming summer but wondering do we have to be full time at the placement as Ian thinking of doing medicine so will have to prepare for UK CAT and BMat.

It is pretty much full-time stuff - but you've still got your weekends unless you are working in industry etc. and they are usually very lenient so this shouldn't throw off your prep too much :h:
Placement timescales vary as well. Some are 5 weeks some are 3 weeks. All depends on where you go :h:
Best of luck, feel free to ask any more questions you have :smile:

Original post by Labrador99

Do you have any advice for writing the personal statements but I am really stuck. Also what did you enjoy the most and what was the best thing you got out of it
Original post by charl0ttem
Do you have any advice for writing the personal statements but I am really stuck. Also what did you enjoy the most and what was the best thing you got out of it

Give it your best shot! It's quite academic but also they like to know why you have an interest in what you do and why you'd like to get onto the scheme
Make sure you convey your enthusiasm and any experience you may already have :smile: Best of luck!

I really enjoyed working in the lab :ahee:
Liquid nitrogen is awesome :tongue:
Also talking to my supervisors and phD students was really fun :smile: I got to watch some of their experiments/things they are working on :smile:
I got lots of experience in working at a uni, researching, referencing and being in the lab
Was so much fun :tongue:

Hey Cheese!
Hope you can answer these...
When does the AS Level Summer term finish?
Does it take up your entire Summer holidays?
Do you have to come up with the topic for your research?
Thanks.
Ratchet3903.
Original post by Ratchet3903
Hey Cheese!
Thanks.
Ratchet3903.

Hello there :hi:
Me too :giggle:
Around late June (further maths are the latest exams as far as I know)
No, but a large proportion (3-5 weeks depending on your supervisors)
No, but you can if you want to (I didn't)
Hopefully this helped :smile:
You can always fire more at me :tongue:
Original post by zeldor711

how is your personal statement going? I have absolutely no clue what to write, its going horrible!!!
Hey Cheese!
Thanks.
Ratchet3903.

why does it feel like ik u... or is it just me?
(edited 7 years ago)

I AM LITERALLY THE MOST ENTHUSIASTIC PERSON EVER HOW DO I MAKE SURE THEY KNOW THAT IN MY PERSONAL STATEMENT IDK HOW TO START IT OR ANYTHING PLS HeLP???????????????
Original post by defenestrated
I AM LITERALLY THE MOST ENTHUSIASTIC PERSON EVER HOW DO I MAKE SURE THEY KNOW THAT IN MY PERSONAL STATEMENT IDK HOW TO START IT OR ANYTHING PLS HeLP???????????????

:rofl: Calm defen - calm :hugs:
Start it with what you are interested in (in science), since when, why
Why would you benefit from a placement? Any previous experience?
I just re-read mine (I think it's quite awful really :toofunny:) but I basically said what I wanted to do and that this would help me decide if it was for me etc. because I had no experience of anything like it

Hopefully that helps :/, pls feel free to ask more questions defen :hugs:
Original post by rayestar
why does it feel like ik u... or is it just me?

It's just you.
It's just you.

oh really now... :colonhash:
I'm pretty sure u knw me!
(edited 7 years ago)

This is probably a stupid question but for the personal statement did you do 500 words per section or 500 words shared between the two sections? (If it's the second I'm screwed 😅😅)

Also, just curious, how long was your placement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending