The Student Room Group

Is this really mean, or just the norm?

Today our class had a piece of work set on the Boxing Day Tsunami in 2004.

When discussing this, one of my friends quite off the cuff remarked "who cares?!". I didn't say anything (nor did the others), but I couldn't help thinking what they had said was really mean spirited - even though the disaster occurred over 10 years ago.

Is it really the case that people can just dismiss such a tragedy so lightly?

What did they mean when they said "who cares"?

I genuinely would like to know what people think of this. I suffers from mild Asperger's, so can't deduce meanings as easily as others.

Thanks.
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar
Today our class had a piece of work set on the Boxing Day Tsunami in 2004.

When discussing this, one of my friends quite off the cuff remarked "who cares?!". I didn't say anything (nor did the others), but I couldn't help thinking what they had said was really mean spirited - even though the disaster occurred over 10 years ago.

Is it really the case that people can just dismiss such a tragedy so lightly?

What did they mean when they said "who cares"?

I genuinely would like to know what people think of this. I suffers from mild Asperger's, so can't deduce meanings as easily as others.

Thanks.

In schools, I guess this happens quite a bit. It is very insensitive though
Reply 2
Though it was a tragedy and affected a lot of people it may not have any impact on him so it makes sense (to me at at least) that he wouldn't care. Personally I don't care either, but then again I'm not the most empathetic person.
That's pretty condescending if someone says "who cares" when a natural disaster killed over 230,000 people.

Some of the people missing are still missing. Yeah, I'd consider that to be pretty mean.

And yes, the Daily Mail is a big liar.
In a geography lesson at some point we were tasked with writing a fake newspaper article about some tsunami or another. I chose the headline "THEY DID NOT SEA THAT COMING"

The reality is when it's not something that effects anything really near you it just doesn't feel like it necessarily matters whether you're sensitive about what you say or not.
Bias to the near. It's the human condition. Ensures that our emotions don't control our ability to handle daily life, and allows us to look after ourselves and close family as a priority.

It doesn't excuse being a completely heartless and thoughtless person though.

Since it was a school environment it's pretty "normal" since emotional intelligence is still developing as a teenager. If that was said in a workplace by an adult then I'd be a lot more concerned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest