The Student Room Group

How to kindly refuse a date?

I have already declined a date but obviously I did this a little too gently.
He says he wants to know if I wanted to do something sometime. AGAIN. and is constantly ringing me.
How do I politely but assertively say ' We are complete opposites and no, thank you '?

Any tips
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by natalie427
So, I have been speaking to this guy off Tinder for awhile.
I found him a little strange and he liked to continually phone and FaceTime me. Anyway, cut a long story short, he asked for us to do something but I kindly said Im sorry but I really do not want to be dating at the moment.
That didn't seem to do the trick as he is still trying to talk to me and has phoned me again today and I ignored it and asked him why he called.
He says he wants to know if I wanted to do something sometime.
How do I politely but assertively say ' We are complete opposites and no, thank you '?

Any tips

Tell him he's a nice guy and all, but you don't feel the spark :lol: #Moooose
Do you still want to speak to them? If not, simply block?
Reply 3
I swear some girls are just too nice these days. I think it's time to be a bit more blunt and tell him that you're not interested in dating him at all.

Or go with "you're like a brother to me" line, but remember that will tear his soul apart so use that as a last resort.
-If you're not interested in him, say, "I'm not interested in you in a romantic way", and if you want to meet up with him as friends, say "we could meet up sometime, as friends. I'll bring my friends along too."

-If you're not into guys, you could say, "I can't be your date because I'm not straight."

-If you don't want to date anyone, "I don't want to date anyone, you should stop trying to ask me out."
Reply 5
Original post by OvergrownMoose
Tell him he's a nice guy and all, but you don't feel the spark :lol: #Moooose

Are you patient zero for Twitter-induced Tourette's, or do you genuinely not realise that your username already accompanies each post you make, thus obviating the need to hashtag-strapline your every utterance like some kind of manically self-fellating Youtube hack?

Honestly, I half expect a fluorescent signature commanding everyone to "smash that rep button!"
Yo no hablo Inglés
Original post by Profesh
Are you patient zero for Twitter-induced Tourette's, or do you genuinely not realise that your username already accompanies each post you make, thus obviating the need to hashtag-strapline your every utterance like some kind of manically self-fellating Youtube hack?

Honestly, I half expect a fluorescent signature commanding everyone to "smash that rep button!"

Erm, no #Moooose
"any tips"?
I would answer you but a "mushroom tip" probably isn't what you want, right?
Original post by Conceited
I like the whole moose thing. Ignore toxic inputs and focus on bringing happiness and prosperity to the interwebs. #Mooooose

Thank you very much :smile: It's all just a bit of fun! #Moooose
Reply 10
I think the phrase 'I'd rather not' is polite but very discouraging. Only wanting to be friends and having you're eye on someone else can also work.
Original post by natalie427
I have already declined a date but obviously I did this a little too gently.
He says he wants to know if I wanted to do something sometime. AGAIN. and is constantly ringing me.

Any tips

Heartbroken....

Just tell him you don't feel you are suited and you arent interested in a date.
Tell him to stop contacting you and then block him anyway.
Tell him you don't date under 9 inches.
Original post by OvergrownMoose
Erm, no #Moooose

Thanks guys, I replied and *edited* it got taken badly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can I just have a little moan about this.

He asked me what made me not like him.

So I told him that he hadn't been considerate/respectful when I was working on my dissertation and finalising my masters degree . (even after me telling him to back off a bit because I was deep in uni work, he still messaged/phoned etc and called me ignorant when I wouldn't reply).

He flipped his lid.

Im sorry but don't ask a question if you can't take the response!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending