The Student Room Group

Undecided about A levels

So mid way through this term, I realised what I wanted to do which is to become a police officer. My original career choice was to become an aerospace engineer which is why I took Maths and physics in the first place, but I eventually grew out of that idea after a dad's friend of mine discussed about being part of the police force which made me want to go for that instead. Right now, I don't seem to be enjoying A levels as much as I thought I would be and it's already past the first term. I found a course that is related to becoming a police officer (BTEC public services) but the problem is, when I called the college, it appears that I can only apply for next year as they are oversubscribed at this moment and it is already 7 weeks into the school term. I've been thinking about dropping A levels after this year and just do that instead, but the only problem is, I won't get a qualification for maths as it is not AS anymore, therefore I won't get a qualification for an entire year meaning that I have wasted this year for nothing. At this point I am totally unsure as to whats the best choice right now. I could just stick with the A level course and try to enrol to the police force straight after but I just don't enjoy the subjects as much anymore and I am currently finding physics tough. That course that I found really does interest me and will help at developing key skills and fitness when going straight for the police force which is why I am considering just doing that instead, but I need to figure out if it's really worth dropping this whole year. I could possibly ask the college if there's a one year course that I could still do and get a qualification for at least, but right now I am totally
unsure.
Reply 1
pick subjects you think you can get A's in... if you're not a fan of maths and physics then please pick something else... too many people make the mistake of picking the hard subjects that ' look good' and end up with average grades
Reply 2
Maths does still have the AS?
Reply 3
Original post by fefssdf
pick subjects you think you can get A's in... if you're not a fan of maths and physics then please pick something else... too many people make the mistake of picking the hard subjects that ' look good' and end up with average grades

I chose those subjects because I thought I'd enjoy it as i did in GCSE. Right now I don't seem too and really regret not thinking this out properly. I just don't think A levels is for me and at this point seems like its too late to change. So I might just stick with it and study my hardest even if i do end up with "average grades"
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Gogregg
Maths does still have the AS?

Last time I checked, my teacher told me I do have exams, but they're not AS anymore and only go towards the final grades after the second year, so it seems pointless if i do drop out after the first year.
Reply 5
If you want to be a policeman, why not do some law related course? Might help you to be promoted and you may become a lawyer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Trevish
If you want to be a policeman, why not do some law related course? Might help you to be promoted and you may become a lawyer

Posted from TSR Mobile

I could, but i'll have to apply for next years course meaning i have done nothing this year as i won't get a qualification for it. I'm just thinking that it's best if i just stick with A levels and see where it takes me
Reply 7
Can you change your A level options?I mean you could request and do subjects like Sociology for instancd

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by JamesNMD
Last time I checked, my teacher told me I do have exams, but they're not AS anymore and only go towards the final grades after the second year, so it seems pointless if i do drop out after the first year.

The Maths exams are still the AS-Levels that count towards the A2, that doesn't change until next year.
All exams that you take this year will still count as standalone qualifications if you do drop out after this year.

What do you mean by not AS anymore? The only thing different about AS now for all subjects apart from maths, is that it's a standalone qualification?

Quick Reply

Latest