The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Official imperial college london 2017 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Just thought I'd wish everyone luck in their interviews over the coming weeks/months and also good luck to people waiting for interviews.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by oShahpo
They don't judge your social aspects in the interview, I am afraid to say. They judge your maths, physics and your willingness (further reading and stuff). I was as awkward as a scared mongoose in my interview and it didn't seem to have any negative impact at all.

(having applied last year).

are you a physics fresher?
hey, they do care about your personality, ask the RCSU president
Original post by JazzledJunior
Just joining in!

Course: Civil engineering MEng
GCSEs: 11A* 1A
AS (achieved): AA (Maths, French)
A2 (predicted): A*AAA (French, Maths, Physics, English Lit)

For my A2 predicted grades (for maths and physics), my teachers and I decided on not setting it to an A* as we agreed that it would be more realistic than setting the goal too high. Was this a good idea? I'm a little worried that this has hindered my chances of getting in.

Ah mate, If you could have been predicted all A*s you really should have grabbed it by the balls.
No one cares if the predicted grades seem outta this world. At the end of the day as long as you get the minimum required grades by the uni, they'll still take you.
The way I see it, predicted grades are more for the uni than for your own personal goals or anything like that.

That being said though, with your stellar record and a solid personal statement, you're still a contender

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 383
Just joining in!

Course: Civil engineering MEng
GCSEs: 11A* 1A
AS (achieved): AA (Maths, French)
A2 (predicted): A*AAA (French, Maths, Physics, English Lit)

For my A2 predicted grades (for maths and physics), my teachers and I decided on not setting it to an A* as we agreed that it would be more realistic than setting the goal too high. Was this a good idea? I'm a little worried that this has hindered my chances of getting in.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/civil-environmental-engineering-department/civil-engineering/

AFAIK the entry requirements for Civil Engineering is A*A*A minimum with the A* predicted in Maths and/or Physics which is risky since it means that you haven't met the requirements. Perhaps you can ask your teachers to be predicted an A* in Maths? Or you have already sent off your UCAS application you can still email the university to amend your predicted grades.
Original post by Bright_Gift
Ah mate, If you could have been predicted all A*s you really should have grabbed it by the balls.
No one cares if the predicted grades seem outta this world. At the end of the day as long as you get the minimum required grades by the uni, they'll still take you.
The way I see it, predicted grades are more for the uni than for your own personal goals or anything like that.

That being said though, with your stellar record and a solid personal statement, you're still a contender

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true but it's better to get rejected earlier on than later when I don't get the grades I suppose. Also, sometimes by chance if they do give me an offer, it might be more lenient who knows. There's always UCL too! LOL :biggrin:
Thanks for the reply!
Original post by ewin30
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/civil-environmental-engineering-department/civil-engineering/

AFAIK the entry requirements for Civil Engineering is A*A*A minimum with the A* predicted in Maths and/or Physics which is risky since it means that you haven't met the requirements. Perhaps you can ask your teachers to be predicted an A* in Maths? Or you have already sent off your UCAS application you can still email the university to amend your predicted grades.

Thanks for your reply. (:

I did check the requirements beforehand but the teachers said I'm like borderline A/A* so they didn't want to put my hopes up just to be rejected in August. Also, when I went to their open day, we asked questions based on these requirements and they said that they do take into consideration grades lower than three A*s as there are still other factors to take into account. In this case, do you think it would be best to email the admissions office regarding my chances?

I haven't sent off my UCAS application yet but my school is very strict on predictions and will not change it if asked just to meet the minimum requirements of a university.
(edited 7 years ago)
That's true but it's better to get rejected earlier on than later when I don't get the grades I suppose. Also, sometimes by chance if they do give me an offer, it might be more lenient who knows. There's always UCL too! LOL :biggrin:
Thanks for the reply!

:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 387
Thanks for your reply. (:

I did check the requirements beforehand but the teachers said I'm like borderline A/A* so they didn't want to put my hopes up just to be rejected in August. Also, when I went to their open day, we asked questions based on these requirements and they said that they do take into consideration grades lower than three A*s as there are still other factors to take into account. In this case, do you think it would be best to email the admissions office regarding my chances?

I haven't sent off my UCAS application yet but my school is very strict on predictions and will not change it if asked just to meet the minimum requirements of a university.

I would suggest that in your case, you should email the admissions office just to make sure.
Original post by TiernanW
Sorry I know this doesn't answer your question, but when did you apply? xD

I think I applied on the 11th but I'm not too sure. It's pretty annoying that I only got an email yesterday saying I have an interview in 6 days... But anyhow, you shouldn't worry too much, I'm sure you'll be fine
Original post by BeatrizEstrada
are you a physics fresher?
hey, they do care about your personality, ask the RCSU president

I am on deferred entry for physics, so I will be starting next year.
I don't know about that, I personally felt I was in no way being judge over personality.
Original post by oShahpo
I am on deferred entry for physics, so I will be starting next year.
I don't know about that, I personally felt I was in no way being judge over personality.

you defo are, have fun on your gap year btw
you defo are, have fun on your gap year btw

Original post by oShahpo

I am a Physics fresher this year ahah
I am a Physics fresher this year ahah

Mind if I ask you a few questions then :P?
First of all, how is the demographics at the course? Is the proportion of international student negatively affecting the uni experience? I don't care for ethnicities, but I am just concerned over the proportion of British vs. international students.

Secondly, how hard is the course :biggrin:? I know it's subjective, but maybe compared to STEP mathematics (if you've done it), or compared to A-level maths if you haven't, how hard is it?

Thirdly, and most importantly, how cheap is the food around campus :biggrin:?
Original post by oShahpo
Mind if I ask you a few questions then :P?
First of all, how is the demographics at the course? Is the proportion of international student negatively affecting the uni experience? I don't care for ethnicities, but I am just concerned over the proportion of British vs. international students.

Secondly, how hard is the course :biggrin:? I know it's subjective, but maybe compared to STEP mathematics (if you've done it), or compared to A-level maths if you haven't, how hard is it?

Thirdly, and most importantly, how cheap is the food around campus :biggrin:?

there's people from everywhere doing physics and I think that's great! i don't know the stats by heart but I would say we are 55%/45% home/international students.

the course is not hard until now ahah but it's starting to get not hard but you know it requires time, work and patience. if you love the subject you should be okay :smile:

I consider the food around campus cheap and good! you have multiple options and most of them are good and for a very reasonable price (specially for students)
Aero applicants on here, what are we expecting in the maths exam?
I've applied on the 15th of November.

It's been 10 days and i have gotten absolutely no response from Imperial. Not even an acknowledgement that they have received my application.

Should this be worrying?
Reply 397
Original post by KingYusHalo

It's been 10 days and i have gotten absolutely no response from Imperial. Not even an acknowledgement that they have received my application.

Should this be worrying?

Maybe check your junk mail or check to see if Imperial's email is blocked? I don't think acknowledgement emails should take 10 days to arrive O.o
Original post by KingYusHalo

Should this be worrying?

Same here
Original post by Quido
Maybe check your junk mail or check to see if Imperial's email is blocked? I don't think acknowledgement emails should take 10 days to arrive O.o

I've checked everywhere and it's quite distressing for me.

Imperial is my top choice I'm really worried that they might have lost my application
:cry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending