The Student Room Group

BTEC going to Uni...

Is it really difficult going from doing BTEC Extended Diploma to University? A Levels seemed like a struggled to a lot of people I know but I didn't struggle that hard with BTEC. (Btw the way I studied level 3 Applied Science). I feel like I wouldn't of been taught what others in A levels have been.
Original post by Bronxoxo
Is it really difficult going from doing BTEC Extended Diploma to University? A Levels seemed like a struggled to a lot of people I know but I didn't struggle that hard with BTEC. (Btw the way I studied level 3 Applied Science). I feel like I wouldn't of been taught what others in A levels have been.

Universities have people with a whole variety of qualifications and backgrounds (even those doing A levels will have a bunch of different subject combinations).

That's why first year marks don't count towards your degree classification on most degrees - the first year is designed to bring everyone from various backgrounds up to a similar level of basic knowledge about the subject. To fill in any gaps and to give you a feel for how university study works.

I'd recommend if you're used to BTECs with lots of coursework that you look on unistats for your choices to see how much of your mark is from exams and how much from coursework (and how it changes over time) - that way you'll be prepared if you're going onto a course that is 100% exams in the first year.
Many universities (some even good/decent) will accept BTEC students, but you will most likely not get into the top-tier without an additional A-Level. Unis prefer A-Level as it is academic and BTEC is vocational course.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending