The Student Room Group

Article: I want to study science, maths or social science at university… what maths options should I take?

Maths was the most popular A-level subject in 2016, and Further Maths one of the fastest-growing. The Russell Group of universities describe Maths and Further Maths as ‘facilitating subjects’ because so many different degrees have a mathematical component. These include psychology, geography, biology, architecture and chemistry, among others.

So which of the A-level Maths units are the best choices for which uni subjects? We invited a guest writer to advise TSR users.

You can rad the rest of the article here.
It should be added that there are still module options in the reformed Further Maths. With Edexcel, not sure about the rest, FP1 and FP2 are compulsory, but you're able to choose two additional modules, out of FP3/FP4, S1/S2, D1/D2 and M1/M2.
Decision Maths is being abolished

:yay:

:danceboy::dance::danceboy:
Original post by the bear

:danceboy::dance::danceboy:

Dont worry; it's still an option in further maths :wink:
TAKE STATS

i did both stats and mechanics and i can tell you, mech is only useful to those doing physics long term, you can do better in STATS
Mathematics courses seem to prefer Mechanics modules to Stats ones - Cambridge explicitly state so on their website but others have said so in email correspondence with me.

Computer science courses prefer Physics as one of a candidates A Level options and say that while both probability and mechanics courses would be useful that they do like to see advanced mechanics studied under further maths.

In general, it seems Pure > Mechanics > Stats is how courses in the 'hard' sciences prefer a candidate to load up in mathematics courses at A Level.
Reply 7
In practice, however, if you're going to a good uni to do maths - your modules aren't going to matter at all. You'll be taught everything properly from scratch anyway and almost all of the content is different from A-Level maths, so pick whatever modules you want - it's not going to matter.
Original post by Zacken
In practice, however, if you're going to a good uni to do maths - your modules aren't going to matter at all. You'll be taught everything properly from scratch anyway and almost all of the content is different from A-Level maths, so pick whatever modules you want - it's not going to matter.

Even for STEP?
(btw what would you say are the best modules for this if one was just doing maths and further maths?)
Reply 9
Original post by LifeIsFine
Even for STEP?
(btw what would you say are the best modules for this if one was just doing maths and further maths?)

As much pure as possible, and no decision. Then whatever else you want.
Original post by Zacken

Thanks for the advice, Zacken:biggrin:
Reply 11
Engineering (especially civil and mechanical) - Mechanics

Computer Science - Mechanics/Statistics (I don't see what skills you gain from the decision modules. They're uselsss. )

Economics/Medicine/Chem - Statistics is the most relevant but I'd say pick whatever module you think you'd enjoy the most

Mathematics- Further Pure modules and then mechanics

Physics - Mechanics

For non-stem, it's irrelevant what you pick.
Original post by Zacken

Zacken what's wrong with Decision Maths.

I've never looked at Decision maths since I don't do ComputerScience and WJEC board don't offer Decision modules.

This year I'm taking M2,M3,S2
Reply 13
Original post by Maths is Life
Zacken what's wrong with Decision Maths.

I've never looked at Decision maths since I don't do ComputerScience and WJEC board don't offer Decision modules.

This year I'm taking M2,M3,S2

It's mind-bogglingly dull and useless for anything you could possibly think of.
Original post by AAls
Engineering (especially civil and mechanical) - Mechanics

Computer Science - Mechanics/Statistics (I don't see what skills you gain from the decision modules. They're uselsss. )

Economics/Medicine/Chem - Statistics is the most relevant but I'd say pick whatever module you think you'd enjoy the most

Mathematics- Further Pure modules and then mechanics

Physics - Mechanics

For non-stem, it's irrelevant what you pick.

Although Economics is a social science would you consider it to be a 'proper' STEM?
Theres alot of support for Economics even on PhysicsMaths website but I never could be bothered with the essays and overly tedious theory.

I thought I failed it but I dropped it with a B at AS. I'm happy I didn't fail but the A2 exams look demanding...(specimens)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
It's mind-bogglingly dull and useless for anything you could possibly think of.

If you took you A levels in the usual 2 years would you do Computer Science?

I really want to do A-level Statistics as I want 4 quals but there are 6 EXAMS!

I mean whats more difficult;
S3/4 or Last A-level stats unit?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Although Economics is a social science would you consider it to be a 'proper' STEM?
Theres alot of support for Economics even on PhysicsMaths website but I never could be bothered with the essays and overly tedious theory.

I thought I failed it but I dropped it with a B at AS. I'm happy I didn't fail but the A2 exams look demanding...(specimens)

Definitely wouldn't class Economics at that category at A level but at uni level there's a lot of maths involved so I put it alongside the stem subjects.

I didn't pick it at a level for that reason.
Original post by AAls
Definitely wouldn't class Economics at that category at A level but at uni level there's a lot of maths involved so I put it alongside the stem subjects.

I didn't pick it at a level for that reason.

If you're doing Economics at Uni which Uni are you applying for/currently at.

Statistics mainly? I looked at the Cambridge entrance exam and it's ridiculous
Reply 18
If you're doing Economics at Uni which Uni are you applying for/currently at.

Statistics mainly? I looked at the Cambridge entrance exam and it's ridiculous

Nah I'm in year 13 :biggrin:. I have a few friends studying eco and they all say it involves quite a lot of maths e.g. calculus and linear algebra.

I'm applying for LSE Maths with Economics, Warwick MMORSE and a few similar options.

Quick Reply

Latest