The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Degrees

Are degrees from Oxbridge unis significantly more advantageous than an equivalent degree from a Russell Group uni such as Bristol, Southampton etc?

Mainly thinking in terms of the job market. I understand that there is a clear difference and an Oxbridge degree will be looked on favourably but I am attempting to weigh up this advantage with choosing a course that I much prefer.
In the past, yes. These days... to an extent, especially if you want to go into law or banking/finance. It really depends on what you want to do - there are lots of professions where having an Oxbridge degree won't give you an advantage.
Reply 2
For some careers they do prefer Oxbridge. This includes banking, corporate law, strategy consulting
I'm sure you know that Oxbridge degrees are prestigious, but having a Russell Group degree will not stop you from getting the same top jobs as Oxbridge graduates, especially if you have a UCL/LSE or other 'top' Russell Group degree. People from Russell Group universities can and do get fantastic jobs and have great careers.

The main benefit you'll get from having an Oxbridge degree, IMO, is getting to be all smug when people are impressed when you tell them you went to Oxbridge.

That's not to downplay the job benefits of having an Oxbridge degree, though. Having an Oxbridge degree will mean that on paper you will be the more favourable applicant, all other things being equal. But there are only so many Oxbridge graduates going around: employers have to hire people who went to other universities because there aren't enough Oxbridge graduates to fill all their posts! :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I'm sure you know that Oxbridge degrees are prestigious, but having a Russell Group degree will not stop you from getting the same top jobs as Oxbridge graduates, especially if you have a UCL/LSE or other 'top' Russell Group degree. People from Russell Group universities can and do get fantastic jobs and have great careers.

The main benefit you'll get from having an Oxbridge degree, IMO, is getting to be all smug when people are impressed when you tell them you went to Oxbridge.

That's not to downplay the job benefits of having an Oxbridge degree, though. Having an Oxbridge degree will mean that on paper you will be the more favourable applicant, all other things being equal. But there are only so many Oxbridge graduates going around: employers have to hire people who went to other universities because there aren't enough Oxbridge graduates to fill all their posts! :wink:

Thank you all for your responses.

I think the more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm thinking that I should choose a course that I like rather than a university with a reputation
Reply 5
Original post by langnerd
Thank you all for your responses.

I think the more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm thinking that I should choose a course that I like rather than a university with a reputation

Might be worth applying to Oxbridge just for the sake of the interview practice, and if you change your mind. There's nothing wrong with applying and withdrawing the application later.
Reply 6
Original post by Tubbz
Might be worth applying to Oxbridge just for the sake of the interview practice, and if you change your mind. There's nothing wrong with applying and withdrawing the application later.

Yeah that's what I've done. Cambridge, Bristol, Southampton and Newcastle are where I have applied. Tbh the one I liked the most was probably Newcastle

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending