The Student Room Group

Big Four Applications 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
For Transactions at EY there is a deadline of 31st October. They are still deciding on how many vacancies there will be TS.

If for example after the 31st they decide they have 10 vacancies but 50 applicants who have passed the 5 assessments, how would they decide which 10 go through?
Reply 221
Original post by rd123456
Has anyone been to an EY a/c? If so can you please tell me what happens on the day

Usual introductions + fact about yourself.
Pair up with another candidate while the assessment team walk around and chat with you.
Do the working day/intray task which is about 45mins with 4emails/2 reports.
Group exercise (this ones fun at EY)
Interview

the 3 activities can be in any order and after you've done em you'll usually eat lunch with current members of your chosen field.
Original post by Yaboi
Pair up with another candidate while the assessment team walk around and chat with you.
Interview

the 3 activities can be in any order and after you've done em you'll usually eat lunch with current members of your chosen field.

Thanks for the insight. Can you remember the interview? Was it a grilling? Is there any presentation involved?
Reply 223
Original post by hodgey111
Thanks for the insight. Can you remember the interview? Was it a grilling? Is there any presentation involved?

Yeah ours was based on 'building a better working world' which they dont give you any monitor or computer to use for. So I basically gave them a single sheet to run an overview of what I was gonna talk about.

Overall theme wanted you to cover 3 things:
1. An idea to create a better working world for EY and their clients
2. How this would be implemented
3. How changes in Technology and regulation could potentially impact it along with talking about how it's relevant to the role you applied for (Audit)

As for the grilling it comes down to which partner you have, mine clearly wanted to make it as hard as possible though.

But Generally speaking I'd go over as much about EY as you can, particularly remember the EY 2020 vision, that's brought up every minute.
Original post by Yaboi
Interview

Thanks for this :smile: How did you find the group exercise?
Reply 225
Original post by lisa96
Thanks for this :smile: How did you find the group exercise?

We basically had two people assessing us, but it wasn't very formal and there was a lot of interaction between us and them.

They asked us 3 questions in the beginning about what sets EY apart, what should a new employees attitude be like etc. Then we got given a sheet of paper with 5 questions, each question had a different amount of time allowed to answer (you can't save time by answering questions quicker and using the remaining time for the next Q, if that makes sense). Exercise involved a pack of cards with strengths on each card (stuff like motivation, innovation, hard work, relationships, honesty). Each exercise built on the last, so initially we chose the top 10 strengths, then we got 10 scenarios and had to decide which of the strengths we chose fit into which scenario best without using each card more than once. After that we had to narrow it down to 5 (of course discussing why you think each one should be picked as a group) and finally create a presentation as a group and each explaining a strength + why it's important for the position we applied to. Each questions had a time limit of between 2-5mins and the last one I think was 10mins including the presentation part.

They asked some random informal questions after that to us as a group that we answered individually, mostly about how we would prioritise work vs study.

Overall I actually enjoyed it for some reason, nearly forgot that we were being assessed. The hardest part by far is the written exercise/intray thing.
Reply 226
Original post by Yaboi
We basically had two people assessing us, but it wasn't very formal and there was a lot of interaction between us and them.

They asked us 3 questions in the beginning about what sets EY apart, what should a new employees attitude be like etc. Then we got given a sheet of paper with 5 questions, each question had a different amount of time allowed to answer (you can't save time by answering questions quicker and using the remaining time for the next Q, if that makes sense). Exercise involved a pack of cards with strengths on each card (stuff like motivation, innovation, hard work, relationships, honesty). Each exercise built on the last, so initially we chose the top 10 strengths, then we got 10 scenarios and had to decide which of the strengths we chose fit into which scenario best without using each card more than once. After that we had to narrow it down to 5 (of course discussing why you think each one should be picked as a group) and finally create a presentation as a group and each explaining a strength + why it's important for the position we applied to. Each questions had a time limit of between 2-5mins and the last one I think was 10mins including the presentation part.

They asked some random informal questions after that to us as a group that we answered individually, mostly about how we would prioritise work vs study.

Overall I actually enjoyed it for some reason, nearly forgot that we were being assessed. The hardest part by far is the written exercise/intray thing.

Did u get an offer?
Reply 227
Original post by e^x
Did u get an offer?

Nah, didn't do well enough on the working day exercise.
Reply 228
I've applied for EY consulting and currently waiting to schedule a phone interview. Do you think that at this stage I could ask them to transfer my application to Transaction Services (deadline for that is 31/10) or is it not possible to do that?
Reply 229
Original post by Yaboi
Nah, didn't do well enough on the working day exercise.

What do u have to do to pass the working day exercise? Do u have to complete all the 4 emails and 2 reports?

Also what do the assessors look for in the group exercise?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 230
Original post by KTS89
I've applied for EY consulting and currently waiting to schedule a phone interview. Do you think that at this stage I could ask them to transfer my application to Transaction Services (deadline for that is 31/10) or is it not possible to do that?

Yh u can
Hi everyone, need a bit of advice...
I'm looking to get into management/strategy consulting and I applied for the Performance Improvement consultancy role at EY. However for telephone interview I was given Financial Consulting - IT Risk & Assurance. I've got an AC comining up and want to work at EY, however I'm a little unsure on this role. I feel like the role will limit my experience to mainly IT/Data. I tried calling them up and they've basically said that there are no more positions available for Performance Improvement.
Assuming I get an offer, do I try the role I'm given? If I don't like it, perhaps I could try and switching service line while I'm there? Or alternatively I could look to apply again next year - however I would kick myself in the foot if I got rejected next year and I don't particularly like the idea of going through the whole process again.

Thanks
Original post by big4applicant
Hi everyone, need a bit of advice...
I'm looking to get into management/strategy consulting and I applied for the Performance Improvement consultancy role at EY. However for telephone interview I was given Financial Consulting - IT Risk & Assurance. I've got an AC comining up and want to work at EY, however I'm a little unsure on this role. I feel like the role will limit my experience to mainly IT/Data. I tried calling them up and they've basically said that there are no more positions available for Performance Improvement.
Assuming I get an offer, do I try the role I'm given? If I don't like it, perhaps I could try and switching service line while I'm there? Or alternatively I could look to apply again next year - however I would kick myself in the foot if I got rejected next year and I don't particularly like the idea of going through the whole process again.

Thanks

I feel like once you are there, it'll be quite hard to change service line. Especially to such an in demand one and I'm fairly sure you'd have to work at least for a year or so before they would even consider transferring you. Even then, you'd have to basically say that you are so unhappy in your role that you are thinking of leaving.

On the other hand, I don't believe it is unheard of changing service line after the grad scheme has finished, but this is definitely not guaranted.
Been waiting for over 2 weeks to schedule my partner interview for a school leaver position at PwC. Anyone know how long it usually takes?
Original post by popcornjpg
Been waiting for over 2 weeks to schedule my partner interview for a school leaver position at PwC. Anyone know how long it usually takes?

hi, wanted to know what your group exercise at the AC was like and the written task.

thanks
Has anyone scheduled/attended an assessment center for EY London - Sept 2017 Grad - Consulting Performance Advisory yet?
Original post by daveevad
Has anyone scheduled/attended an assessment center for EY London - Sept 2017 Grad - Consulting Performance Advisory yet?

nope still waiting to be given an AC date
Original post by PPEStudent2307
Same here! Fingers crossed for a positive outcome! Good luck!

By on hold do you mean you're waiting for the webinar invite?
Reply 238
Original post by Yaboi

Hi Yaboi, thank you for your insight and good luck with your job application. Do you mind sharing some experience about EY's written exercise please?
Reply 239
Original post by ksqcyjr
Hi Yaboi, thank you for your insight and good luck with your job application. Do you mind sharing some experience about EY's written exercise please?

Pretty much a day to day run through of everyday for a month, you have to write 4 emails and 2 reports.

Of-course you need to prioritise but the hardest part is the sheer amount of information you have to understand to know what to answer first/who takes priority.

There was like 5 pages of pure text that we had to cover within the 45 minutes and the reports were both limited to 300 words.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending