The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Maths 9-1 2018

I'm currently in year 10, doing the new Maths GCSE in 2018 that is graded from 9-1. I would like to try and get a grade 9. Does anyone have any tips on how to achieve this or have any idea on what the grade boundaries will be like?

UPDATE:
I am now in year 11 and predicted a 9 in maths. Lots of people are commenting to ask which websites are best for revision. Here is the list of websites/resources that I use:

The CGP revision guide and workbook.
Mathswatch / Pixl Maths (if your school has a subscription)
www.mathsgenie.co.uk
- questions of all levels with mark schemes
www.crashmaths.com
Your exam board's sample materials
www.mathsmadeeasy.co.uk
www.m4ths.com
www.mrbartonmaths.com
Hegarty Maths
www.drfrostmaths.com (with lessons and power points)
TES Resources
www.getrevising.co.uk
bland.in
justmaths.co.uk
BBC Bitesize
www.desmos.com is good for practise plotting graphs and equations
www.onmaths.com

Good luck for your mock exams :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Loci Pi
I'm currently in year 10, doing the new Maths GCSE in 2018 that is graded from 9-1. I would like to try and get a grade 9. Does anyone have any tips on how to achieve this or have any idea on what the grade boundaries will be like?

We know very little about both of those things, as the examination has not been sat by anyone yet.

Edexcel, within their textbook, indicates the difficulty of questions next to them. This is the best indicator, pretty much, that we have about what topics will be considered "9" topics. I'm unsure if other exam boards have similar indicators.

For all intents and purposes, just use the current spec grade boundaries, reduced. I believe that it is unlikely that a 9 will surpass the percentage required for an A* in the old spec, considering the difficulty increase.

Edit: Those who say you'll need 95% for a 9 are confusing raw with UMS. It will never be that high.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Loci Pi

No one has sat this exam so far. We don't know much about it until it actually comes out. Just revised from the current spec until the new one comes. Always do past papers and learn all topics.
Original post by Illimitable
No one has sat this exam so far. We don't know much about it until it actually comes out. Just revised from the current spec until the new one comes. Always do past papers and learn all topics.

I forgot to mention this in my previous post, but exam boards have released a few sample papers to give an idea of difficulty. The specification and respective revision guides have been out for a while. They (the specification and the sample papers) can found on the respective board's website, @Loci Pi.
Original post by _gcx
I forgot to mention this in my previous post, but exam boards have released a few sample papers to give an idea of difficulty. The specification and respective revision guides have been out for a while. They (the specification and the sample papers) can found on the respective board's website, @Loci Pi.

Oh ok thanks for mentioning this to me. :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks. Hopefully the exam boards will give more information about grade boundaries nearer the time.
Reply 6
Original post by Loci Pi
Thanks. Hopefully the exam boards will give more information about grade boundaries nearer the time.

They won't know the grade boundaries until the exam has been sat.
Reply 7
Original post by Loci Pi

The only way is to practice answering the kind of questions that might appear. Repeating them will really help you out, and make sure you fully understand the topics - the new exams stretch your understanding a great deal more than the old ones. Work hard! Do that and you're sure to succeed! If you ever feel hopeless, so did I, but through hard work I achieved 231/240 in the final exam.

ps. a 9 will be awarded to the top 3 percent of students
Reply 8
Original post by lafee
The only way is to practice answering the kind of questions that might appear. Repeating them will really help you out, and make sure you fully understand the topics - the new exams stretch your understanding a great deal more than the old ones. Work hard! Do that and you're sure to succeed! If you ever feel hopeless, so did I, but through hard work I achieved 231/240 in the final exam.

ps. a 9 will be awarded to the top 3 percent of students

I posted that like a year ago and I'm pleased to say my grades have improved and I'm now predicted a 9 in the exam. In my last mock I got 237/240 so I hope it goes as well in the real exam!

Congratulations on your great mark on the exam and grade 9 :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Loci Pi

I posted that like a year ago and I'm pleased to say my grades have improved and I'm now predicted a 9 in the exam. In my last mock I got 237/240 so I hope it goes as well in the real exam!

Congratulations on your great mark on the exam and grade 9 :smile:

Good! thanks
Hey guys there's two weeks left till I have my maths mock and I seriously don't know how to revise for it as there's soo much to cover. Can you guys give me really good advice of how to revise as I didn't revise till now and I wanna aim at least a 6 for the mocks. P.s my teacher gave me a revision list for each paper but I didn't find that useful as in the real exam you wouldn't been given a revision list for each topic. It would be really appreciative thanks
Reply 11
Original post by VirgoStrain
This is complete bull**** I sat the paper in June of this year. Do your research before you spread lies on social media. English and maths were the only subjects to make the switch to the reforms early.

Look at the date of their post :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by VirgoStrain
My apologies...

Perhaps editing your original comment would be a smart thing to do?
Can someone reply to my previous question please. It would be really helpful thanks
Reply 14
Original post by Freshyeezys01
Hey guys there's two weeks left till I have my maths mock and I seriously don't know how to revise for it as there's soo much to cover. Can you guys give me really good advice of how to revise as I didn't revise till now and I wanna aim at least a 6 for the mocks. P.s my teacher gave me a revision list for each paper but I didn't find that useful as in the real exam you wouldn't been given a revision list for each topic. It would be really appreciative thanks

Mathswatch (if your school has a subscription)
www.mathsgenie.co.uk - questions of all levels with mark schemes
www.crashmaths.com
Your exam board's sample assessment materials
www.mathsmadeeasy.co.uk
www.m4ths.com
www.mrbartonmaths.com
Hegarty Maths
TES Resources
www.getrevising.co.uk
bland.in
justmaths.co.uk
BBC Bitesize

This is the list of websites I use. Revising little but often works best for me. Good luck on your mock exam :smile: I have mine on the 27th.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Loci Pi
Mathswatch (if your school has a subscription)
www.mathsgenie.co.uk - questions of all levels with mark schemes
www.crashmaths.com
Your exam board's sample assessment materials
www.mathsmadeeasy.co.uk
www.m4ths.com
www.mrbartonmaths.com
Hegarty Maths
TES Resources
www.getrevising.co.uk
bland.in
justmaths.co.uk
BBC Bitesize

This is the list of websites I use. Revising little but often works best for me. Good luck on your mock exam :smile: I have mine on the 27th.

Thanks btw xxx
i would like to ask if these websites are for the edexcel examboard
www.mathsmadeeasy.co.uk
www.m4ths.com
www.mrbartonmaths.com
and also shall i start my revision for my yr 10 mock now
p.s thank you for the websites whom i just figured out now.
Reply 17
Original post by milly_studies
i would like to ask if these websites are for the edexcel examboard
www.mathsmadeeasy.co.uk
www.m4ths.com
www.mrbartonmaths.com
and also shall i start my revision for my yr 10 mock now
p.s thank you for the websites whom i just figured out now.

It doesn't really matter which website you use, in my experience anyway. The content for each exam board is very similar and most revision websites aren't aimed at a particular exam board. If you want revision for only your exam board I would recommend using textbooks made for or by your exam board.

If your mock is in a few weeks time I would start revising now but if you don't have the mock until the end of the year wait a few months. Don't get too stressed about year 10 mocks anyway, by year 11 they don't really mean much. For example, I did terrible on my year 10 English mock despite revision and panicked over the holidays that I would be moved down a set but I wasn't. Don't over work yourself in year 10 or start of year 11. I revised every day after school from December of year 10 but I felt tired and less motivated come year 11 November mocks because I wasn't immediately seeing the improvement that I expected. I'm feeling more motivated for the next set of mock exams at the end of March lol. I think a good time to start revising is around October of year 11 so you don't experience burn out too early.

Good luck :smile:
I'm wondering what you mean by 'revision' in maths.
I think it's different to 'revision' in other subjects.
I never 'revised' for KS4 maths exams.
Reply 19
Original post by begbie68
I'm wondering what you mean by 'revision' in maths.
I think it's different to 'revision' in other subjects.
I never 'revised' for KS4 maths exams.

Same here. By 'revising' maths I mean reading and learning new / more convenient methods, doing sample papers and doing practice questions. For other subjects I'd usually just read a textbook and make revision cards or mind maps or something like that to help me remember it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest