The Student Room Group

geography answering help

Please can you describe the way in which you are required to answer your geography questions to get optimal marks?

What where why how etc..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellieloves
Please can you describe the way in which you are required to answer your geography questions to get optimal marks?

What where why how etc..

That depends on whether you're referring to GCSE or A Level. It's been a few years since I did GCSE Geography, so I won't comment on that in case the specifications etc have changed by now, but I did A Level Geography just over a year ago. I was with WJEC, and we were required to explain any key terms we used, e.g. instead of just using the term 'surface run-off', we had to explain what it meant as well in order to gain a mark for it. Also, we had to use lots of different case studies in our answers, rather than just one which I seem to remember doing at GCSE.

Obviously the exam technique required varies between exam boards, and the level you're at, so I'd suggest asking your teachers what's needed as you'll get a definitive answer that way :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
That depends on whether you're referring to GCSE or A Level. It's been a few years since I did GCSE Geography, so I won't comment on that in case the specifications etc have changed by now, but I did A Level Geography just over a year ago. I was with WJEC, and we were required to explain any key terms we used, e.g. instead of just using the term 'surface run-off', we had to explain what it meant as well in order to gain a mark for it. Also, we had to use lots of different case studies in our answers, rather than just one which I seem to remember doing at GCSE.

Obviously the exam technique required varies between exam boards, and the level you're at, so I'd suggest asking your teachers what's needed as you'll get a definitive answer that way :smile:

are you doing geography what year are you in ?
Original post by mayu123
are you doing geography what year are you in ?

I did Geography for GCSE and A Level, I'm in my first year of university studying Geoscience at the moment :smile:
Reply 4
I did Geography for GCSE and A Level, I'm in my first year of university studying Geoscience at the moment :smile:

aww WOW good luck and well done for reaching that far:wink: Do you know any tips how i can revise for subject like geography do you have any notes for any subjects i can see and what subjects did you take for a-levels ?
Reply 5
Original post by ellieloves

What where why how etc..

Its year 9 starting GCSE's. The tutor said there was a process to answering questions.. and he mentioned command words... trying to remember as I'm going to be helping him do homework etc and I want to get it straight!

Many thanks
Original post by mayu123
aww WOW good luck and well done for reaching that far:wink: Do you know any tips how i can revise for subject like geography do you have any notes for any subjects i can see and what subjects did you take for a-levels ?

Thank you! :biggrin:

I found Geography to be my most challenging subject, I didn't really have a proper way of revising for it honestly. I would suggest having a go at past papers though and trying to get your exam technique as good as possible, and making sure you learn your case studies really well!

I put up my A Level notes for Glaciers and Glacial Environments here, although if you aren't studying those topics then they may not be very useful :lol:

I also did Geology and ICT for A Level :h:
Reply 7
Thank you! :biggrin:

I found Geography to be my most challenging subject, I didn't really have a proper way of revising for it honestly. I would suggest having a go at past papers though and trying to get your exam technique as good as possible, and making sure you learn your case studies really well!

I put up my A Level notes for Glaciers and Glacial Environments here, although if you aren't studying those topics then they may not be very useful :lol:

I also did Geology and ICT for A Level :h:

Aww thats amazing im jealous sorry your so smart i want the brain of yours :biggrin:
Well good luck how long in uni?
Original post by mayu123
Aww thats amazing im jealous sorry your so smart i want the brain of yours :biggrin:
Well good luck how long in uni?

Haha, thank you :tongue:

I'm currently in my first year of uni, so I've got the rest of this year and then another two years to go :smile:
Reply 9
Haha, thank you :tongue:

I'm currently in my first year of uni, so I've got the rest of this year and then another two years to go :smile:

Just one question if you want to be an accountant what subjects do you have to take for a levels just asking because you seem nice
Original post by mayu123
Just one question if you want to be an accountant what subjects do you have to take for a levels just asking because you seem nice

Well, some Accounting and Finance degrees require A Level Maths, so Maths would be a sensible option. Picking traditional, facilitating subjects is also good because a wider range of degrees are open to you, so subjects like Geography, History or Physics could be useful too. Also remember that some universities don't like combinations such as Business Studies and Economics or Maths and Further Maths because are they are considered to be too similar, so that's something to check as well :smile:
Well, some Accounting and Finance degrees require A Level Maths, so Maths would be a sensible option. Picking traditional, facilitating subjects is also good because a wider range of degrees are open to you, so subjects like Geography, History or Physics could be useful too. Also remember that some universities don't like combinations such as Business Studies and Economics or Maths and Further Maths because are they are considered to be too similar, so that's something to check as well :smile:

Ohh thanks do you have any old websites that are useful for GCSE?
Original post by mayu123
Ohh thanks do you have any old websites that are useful for GCSE?

I seem to remember using BBC Bitesize quite a bit during my GCSEs, so that's one possibility. S-Cool also has revision resources for GCSEs, which you might find useful. I would also highly recommend getting a copy of the specification for each of your subjects if you haven't yet, because it's much easier to keep track of what you need to learn when you have all of the required learning content in front of you :smile:
I seem to remember using BBC Bitesize quite a bit during my GCSEs, so that's one possibility. S-Cool also has revision resources for GCSEs, which you might find useful. I would also highly recommend getting a copy of the specification for each of your subjects if you haven't yet, because it's much easier to keep track of what you need to learn when you have all of the required learning content in front of you :smile:

do you know gcsescience the website?
Original post by mayu123
do you know gcsescience the website?

Yeah, I used that at GCSE (if it's the one I'm thinking of) :smile:
Yeah, I used that at GCSE (if it's the one I'm thinking of) :smile:

did you have a school code for it or not ?
Original post by mayu123
did you have a school code for it or not ?

I think so, but I really can't remember now :smile:
I think so, but I really can't remember now :smile:

Can you find it out soon or do you know anyone who does know it ?
Original post by mayu123
Can you find it out soon or do you know anyone who does know it ?

Unfortunately I doubt anyone would still have it as it's been about 4 years since I did GCSE, and I have no contact with any of my high school classmates now :nah:
Unfortunately I doubt anyone would still have it as it's been about 4 years since I did GCSE, and I have no contact with any of my high school classmates now :nah:

Ohh i mean like if you see anyone post the code please can you tell meh and im having a physics test soon :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending