The Student Room Group

Should I retake C3 or C4?

Hi everyone!
I'm on a gap year and want to retake maths A level to move from an A to an A*. Do you think it would be better to retake C3 or C4?
I'm on AQA btw, and I got 90 UMS/53 raw marks for C3 and 86/58 for C4
Original post by DazedDreamer
Hi everyone!
I'm on a gap year and want to retake maths A level to move from an A to an A*. Do you think it would be better to retake C3 or C4?

Why not retake both?
Reply 2
Original post by NotNotBatman
Why not retake both?

What would be the point? They can just really focus on C4 and get full marks.
Original post by jamestg
What would be the point? They can just really focus on C4 and get full marks.

What if you make a carless error in C4 that costs many marks or has a bad day? It's unlikely that they'd do worse on a resit, but just in case, I'd suggest taking both.
Reply 4
Original post by NotNotBatman
What if you make a carless error in C4 that costs many marks or has a bad day? It's unlikely that they'd do worse on a resit, but just in case, I'd suggest taking both.

True, but assuming they're only retaking one exam in total the chances of a bad day are slim because bad days are usually caused by the overall pressure of exam season and not an individual exam.
I'd recommend just concentrating on C4 to get close to full marks.

Though I guess it depends on how much free time you're gonna have on your gap year - if you're going to have quite a bit of spare time, there's no harm in retaking both (if you don't mind the extra workload). But I'm guessing that, since you said "or", you don't want to retake both haha. :smile:
Retake C3 is becuz 3<4 so c3 is easier than c4 therefore easy max marks

easy
Original post by DazedDreamer
Hi everyone!

Both probably. Even if you end up doing worse in a module they keep the best one (not 100% sure), and you're very unlikely to do worse anyways as long as you do a little bit each week. You don't really have to learn any new content either so it won't be much of a hassle. Doesn't even have to be much, maybe one past paper for each every week at the start with increasing frequency as the year goes on.
Thanks for your advice everyone! Yeah I'm planning just to do one as I have another couple of exams to retake and thought it would be best to focus on doing really well in just one of them.
I do see the point about maximising my chances in case one of the exams is really difficult though!
I think I'm going to go with C4, but I will consider taking both!
from what ive heard from my teacher (im in the second year of a level so im only just on c3 the first time) that last year's c3 was brutal and the boundaries were lower than c4. don't know if i mright or i misheard but if im right definitely do c3, don't know how much harder c4 is normally so i cant say there.
You already have an A* in C3, and are 4 UMS away from an A* in C4, so I would say retake C4 if you want an A* overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which one do you prefer? I have a very pedantic relationship with C3 so I'm biased :tongue: C4 is bae

Quick Reply

Latest