The Student Room Group

So, Gladstone and Home Rule..

Anyone able to help shed a little light on this topic? Specifically, his conversion to Home Rule.

I understand why it may be perceived that way - His "mission" etc.. But how do I form the counter argument? It's proving to be rather tricky.

Any help with this is appreciated.
Reply 1
When you say counter argument, do you mean the reasons others were so against HR?

Sorry, brain incredibly fuzzy but I studied HR myself so can help!
Reply 2
Original post by Airmed
When you say counter argument, do you mean the reasons others were so against HR?

Sorry, brain incredibly fuzzy but I studied HR myself so can help!

Thanks for getting back to me and apologies for being vague and perhaps contributing to your fuzzy head! :tongue:

So, essentially I have to assess whether or not Gladstone's conversion to Home Rule was a personal thing with Irish Nationalism in mind, OR, whether or not it was a more calculated act in order to secure the support of the Irish Parliamentary Party. I gues those are the two sides of the 'argument' although seemingly it is more difficult to find the evidence that it was a considered political act.

Many thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by JJC23
Thanks for getting back to me and apologies for being vague and perhaps contributing to your fuzzy head! :tongue:

So, essentially I have to assess whether or not Gladstone's conversion to Home Rule was a personal thing with Irish Nationalism in mind, OR, whether or not it was a more calculated act in order to secure the support of the Irish Parliamentary Party. I gues those are the two sides of the 'argument' although seemingly it is more difficult to find the evidence that it was a considered political act.

Many thanks!

Sorry for the late reply :colondollar:

Personally, I lie on the political act side of the argument. After all, he did pass the Coercion Act 1881 and that did not really help the situation. :redface: Also consider that he needed the IPP seats in order to have a majority in parliament.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending