The Student Room Group

Becoming a Police Officer

So here's the deal. I know for sure I want to be a police officer and as someone who has very little interest in anything, this is an achievement. I achieved A*AB at A-Level and am at a Russell Group university studying Criminology. I'm enjoying being at uni and the course is good but I am desperate to just get out into the world and start my police career. I know in an ideal world, yes a degree would be a bonus but could I leave university, apply to the police and be successful? I have had a job and various work experience placements and have contacted my local force who say they will be hiring. Anyone with experience know if I am good enough to be accepted? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by butts>exams
So here's the deal. I know for sure I want to be a police officer and as someone who has very little interest in anything, this is an achievement. I achieved A*AB at A-Level and am at a Russell Group university studying Criminology. I'm enjoying being at uni and the course is good but I am desperate to just get out into the world and start my police career. I know in an ideal world, yes a degree would be a bonus but could I leave university, apply to the police and be successful? I have had a job and various work experience placements and have contacted my local force who say they will be hiring. Anyone with experience know if I am good enough to be accepted? Thanks :smile:

I've no experience of it and I'm sure someone who has will be along shortly, but why would you not just apply for the police and stay at Uni incase you don't get in?
Original post by Vereor
I've no experience of it and I'm sure someone who has will be along shortly, but why would you not just apply for the police and stay at Uni incase you don't get in?

Recruitment would probably be next year at some point and obviously if I stay thats more money going into uni i'd prefer not to waste. If money was no problem that would definitely be the best option!! :smile:
Reply 3
Recruitment would probably be next year at some point and obviously if I stay thats more money going into uni i'd prefer not to waste. If money was no problem that would definitely be the best option!! :smile:

How far into your degree are you? If you've already finished or nearly finished first year I'd stick with it rather than having spent £12k+ for literally nothing if you drop out.

Don't the police start you at a higher grade if you're degree qualified (like other parts of the civil service).
+1 for weighing up what advantages a degree will give you. I would look at the degree as an investment and soemthing that enabled me to do more interesting work.
Original post by Vereor
How far into your degree are you? If you've already finished or nearly finished first year I'd stick with it rather than having spent £12k+ for literally nothing if you drop out.

Don't the police start you at a higher grade if you're degree qualified (like other parts of the civil service).

Its first term of first year so obviously if I think leaving is the best option it really needs to be done before second term starts, cost wise. Also many forces have stopped the fast track for graduates programme now from what i have read which is a shame :frown:
Reply 6
Its first term of first year so obviously if I think leaving is the best option it really needs to be done before second term starts, cost wise. Also many forces have stopped the fast track for graduates programme now from what i have read which is a shame :frown:

So what happens if you quit Uni and this gets approved?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34805856
Original post by Vereor
So what happens if you quit Uni and this gets approved?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34805856

Yeah I read that when I was researching. It so difficult. I know that if I was guaranteed to get accepted I'd leave right now for sure but obviously if that comes into force (which tbh I think it would be further away than 2017) then I'd have a big problem :frown:
I think your question is better framed when you consider the long-term benefits of having a degree. Many members of my family have worked for the police and some currently still are. The vast majority of us have degrees now. A close family friend was a DCI and only got to that position because he studied for a degree part-time while he was a serving PC. My uncle was a high-ranking detective and again, only got to that position because of completing a degree/diploma.

Have you considered applying to be a Special whilst you're still at university? This is a route that a lot of young people take. Alternatively, if you want to work in a Force that isn't currently recruiting police officers, you could work as Police Staff for a few years so that you have a foot in the door, so to speak.

Take a while to think about it very hard. Police officers have to deal with sometimes the most traumatising situations you could imagine. Scraping bodies of children from pavements, cutting down people who've hung themselves, and so on. It happens more often than you think so you need to realistically assess whether you are emotionally hardy enough to deal with these things. There is a lot of support in place in all of the Forces for cases like those however.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending