The Student Room Group

Cambridge maths part iii ?

Hi guys, I am currently doing G100 at an average Russell Group uni(Nottingham)

I have achieved 83% in my second year and I would like to continue my study at part iii at Cambridge part iii

I got several questions though...
1, My undergraduate modules are from different fields, including pure, physics, probability and statistics. Honestly I am not sure which field I am particularly interested in and wondering which course (Pure, Applied, Applicable) I should apply. (Maybe pure, I did well in Mathematical Analysis and I plan to take level 4 modules on Functional Analysis and Measure Theory in my third year)

2, It seems that part iii application does not need a personal statement (from the application procedure on the website, nothing is mentioned about personal statement). However, it has a "optional" personal statement part in the application form. I am just wondering whether it is fine to submit the application without personal statement.
You can apply to Pure, Applied or Statistics when applying for part III maths, but the course is the same regardless. You're supposed to apply to the department with the most relevance to your interests (i.e. you're expected to take more modules from that area), but it's not a fixed rule. So I would spend some time thinking about which area you mind prefer and have a look at the options in each area on the website: https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/current-students-master-mathematics-master-advanced-studypart-iii-mathematical-tripos/part-iii-guide But don't agonise over it if you're not totally sure which area might interest you most. That said, you should have some idea of which courses you'd like to take and what interests you, as there's a vast amount of courses available and it's not possible to try them all!

You don't need a personal statement akin to what is required for undergraduate applications, but there are still boxes that ask about your experience (e.g. any research projects you've undertaken) and any extra-curricular things that may be relevant (e.g. your hobbies if they're likely to add something to your application). So I would include any extra information that you think might help your application, though the decision is heavily based upon your university module marks and your references.

If there's anything else you want to know, feel free to ask as I went through the admissions process of part III this year and am starting in a few weeks. I also studied at Nottingham!
Reply 2
Hi, nice to know that you studied at Nottingham! Which course did you do at Nottingham? G100?

I have just submitted my application. I applied pure maths since I am doing G13MTS and G14FTA this year.

Also, when did you applied and when did you received an offer from Cambridge? What grade did you have for second year?
Reply 3
Original post by AlesanaWill
You can apply to Pure, Applied or Statistics when applying for part III maths, but the course is the same regardless. You're supposed to apply to the department with the most relevance to your interests (i.e. you're expected to take more modules from that area), but it's not a fixed rule. So I would spend some time thinking about which area you mind prefer and have a look at the options in each area on the website: https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/current-students-master-mathematics-master-advanced-studypart-iii-mathematical-tripos/part-iii-guide But don't agonise over it if you're not totally sure which area might interest you most. That said, you should have some idea of which courses you'd like to take and what interests you, as there's a vast amount of courses available and it's not possible to try them all!

You don't need a personal statement akin to what is required for undergraduate applications, but there are still boxes that ask about your experience (e.g. any research projects you've undertaken) and any extra-curricular things that may be relevant (e.g. your hobbies if they're likely to add something to your application). So I would include any extra information that you think might help your application, though the decision is heavily based upon your university module marks and your references.

If there's anything else you want to know, feel free to ask as I went through the admissions process of part III this year and am starting in a few weeks. I also studied at Nottingham!

Hi, nice to know that you studied at Nottingham! Which course did you do at Nottingham? G100?I have just submitted my application. I applied pure maths since I am doing G13MTS and G14FTA this year.Also, when did you applied and when did you received an offer from Cambridge? What grade did you have for second year?
Original post by Yifan~
Hi, nice to know that you studied at Nottingham! Which course did you do at Nottingham? G100?I have just submitted my application. I applied pure maths since I am doing G13MTS and G14FTA this year.Also, when did you applied and when did you received an offer from Cambridge? What grade did you have for second year?

I did Physics with Theoretical Astrophysics at Nottingham. I didn't apply until right before the deadline (bad idea, don't recommend) - it was a bit of a last minute decision, I hadn't planned to switch to Cambridge for part III! It took a few months until I got an offer, I think it was the end of May / start of June that I heard back. Usually people apply well before the deadline, and hence hear back earlier (e.g. around March / April). My marks were very high first standard.
Reply 5
Original post by AlesanaWill
I did Physics with Theoretical Astrophysics at Nottingham. I didn't apply until right before the deadline (bad idea, don't recommend) - it was a bit of a last minute decision, I hadn't planned to switch to Cambridge for part III! It took a few months until I got an offer, I think it was the end of May / start of June that I heard back. Usually people apply well before the deadline, and hence hear back earlier (e.g. around March / April). My marks were very high first standard.

Hi, do you know anyone else doing part iii with a previous maths background from Nottingham?

Quick Reply

Latest