The Student Room Group

Second Job

I'm currently on a gap year before uni next year and work part time (8 hours a week) in Boots. I only earn about £260 a month - and I'm constantly skint.

I've just been offered a job at H Samuel over Christmas (10 hours a week) that would give me extra money.

Boots is weekends only and H Samuel would be weekdays only so it's something I can do.

The tax code I have atm means I don't get taxed unless I'm earning over 11,000 a year - and even with both jobs I'm earning nowhere near that.

I'm worried that I'll be taxed loads because I have second job - even though it's only for a couple of months.

I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and could give me some advice about tax etc?

Any help would be appreciated!
HMRC will split the tax code, you may get emergency taxed at first for the 2nd job.
Original post by jmalley1
I'm currently on a gap year before uni next year and work part time (8 hours a week) in Boots. I only earn about £260 a month - and I'm constantly skint.

I've just been offered a job at H Samuel over Christmas (10 hours a week) that would give me extra money.

Boots is weekends only and H Samuel would be weekdays only so it's something I can do.

The tax code I have atm means I don't get taxed unless I'm earning over 11,000 a year - and even with both jobs I'm earning nowhere near that.

I'm worried that I'll be taxed loads because I have second job - even though it's only for a couple of months.

I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and could give me some advice about tax etc?

I did the same during the summer. PM me if you have any questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jmalley1

Phone hmrc to get the tax codes sorted after you start, but seeing as you wont earn over the limit, you wont get taxed.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
Phone hmrc to get the tax codes sorted after you start, but seeing as you wont earn over the limit, you wont get taxed.

I think I will. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest