The Student Room Group

Oxford history 2017 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Been wondering same thing but not on a gap year, probs best to ring up or go in because there is an online login thing for HAT but your school has the details and access to it I'm pretty sure
(edited 7 years ago)
What's regarded as a good mark for the HAT? Roughly
Original post by historyoxford
What's regarded as a good mark for the HAT? Roughly

Think from the mid 50s is quite good? Guy who went to my school who's now in first year got his highest of 64 in one of the past papers
Original post by Lauren1498x
Think from the mid 50s is quite good? Guy who went to my school who's now in first year got his highest of 64 in one of the past papers

Last year it was about average 58 for everyone who sat it, 64 for everyone interviewed, and 68 for everyone who got in, and its probably never too far from that.

Practice technique and twenty, twenty and thirty in three sections is doesn't sound THAT high
Original post by MouseyBrown
Last year it was about average 58 for everyone who sat it, 64 for everyone interviewed, and 68 for everyone who got in, and its probably never too far from that.

Practice technique and twenty, twenty and thirty in three sections is doesn't sound THAT high

I've only had one marked right now and my school is on holiday so who knows how I'm going to do
Original post by Lauren1498x
I've only had one marked right now and my school is on holiday so who knows how I'm going to do

Yeah who know but check the mark schemes yourself too cause that really helps. And good luck! I guess they're pretty soon now?
How many pages would you write for question 3 and would you write an introduction? HAT thanks.
Original post by Qmwnebrv
How many pages would you write for question 3 and would you write an introduction? HAT thanks.

i wouldn't write an intro, our history teacher said there was no point because there isn't a real argument going through the piece. Write roughly about 1.5-2 sides i'd say
Anyone here doing the HECO question? Also, what titles are people doing for the submitted work? Are you just using an old piece or writing a new one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Applying for straight History:

1)What did you get at GCSE? 9A* 1A
2)What A-levels are you doing? History; Economics; Mathematics
3)How did your AS levels go? AAAA
4)Ideal college? Lincoln
5)Speciality? The German Reformation + Charles V (as HRE)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Malle
4)Ideal college? Lincoln

Are you applying for straight history or joint schools?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Malle
4)Ideal college? Lincoln

finally, another History applicant from Lincoln :biggrin:
Hi Guys, my name is Neal and I am applying for History and Politics at LMH

1)What did you get at GCSE? 6A* 4A
2)What A-levels are you doing? History; Economics (dropped); EngLit; Politics
3)How did your AS levels go? AABB (Predicted 3A's)
4)Ideal college? Lady Margaret Hall
5)Speciality? Caesar's rise to power and his murder - Cicero and social issues in the same time period, French and American revolution literature (Common Sense, The Social Contract) - In school Tudors ans Russian Revolution - I ran my school's history society and invited a professor from oxford in to give a lecture - I met her at an Oxford Taster Day - I also know a lot about 'Contract Theory' and the 'Circle of Government's' idea by Machiavelli which I have written about in my PS

BTW I already have 4 offers for HisPol - including one from Warwick!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Neal_Vithlani
Hi Guys, my name is Neal and I am applying for History and Politics at LMH

1)What did you get at GCSE? 6A* 4A
2)What A-levels are you doing? History; Economics (dropped); EngLit; Politics
3)How did your AS levels go? AABB (Predicted 3A's)
4)Ideal college? Lady Margaret Hall
5)Speciality? Caesar's rise to power and his murder - Cicero and social issues in the same time period, French and American revolution literature (Common Sense, The Social Contract) - In school Tudors ans Russian Revolution - I ran my school's history society and invited a professor from oxford in to give a lecture - I met her at an Oxford Taster Day - I also know a lot about 'Contract Theory' and the 'Circle of Government's' idea by Machiavelli which I have written about in my PS

BTW I already have 4 offers for HisPol - including one from Warwick!

Hello, my name is Emmet, I am applying for History and Politics too, at Jesus. I have read similar, but totally different books, how did you find "The Social Contract"?
Reply 94
Original post by dramanoons
Are you applying for straight history or joint schools?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Applying for straight history - sorry for not mentioning that, I'll edit it in.
Original post by Enrique1688
Hello, my name is Emmet, I am applying for History and Politics too, at Jesus. I have read similar, but totally different books, how did you find "The Social Contract"?

I enjoyed the social contract. Found it rather challengingbut interesting none the less.
Original post by Neal_Vithlani
I enjoyed the social contract. Found it rather challengingbut interesting none the less.

Well, I read the Second Treatise, which presented perhaps the most (classical) liberal version of the Social Contract out there.
Anyone applying to Jesus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dramanoons
Anyone applying to Jesus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am, for History and Politics. And you?
Original post by Enrique1688
I am, for History and Politics. And you?

Yeah I am for History and Economics, how are you feeling about the HAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending