The Student Room Group

As levels, A level help?

Will a full As level, include a subject that you are studying in A2, so A levels as well.
For example, will my grade C in As media studies, count as a full As level, even though i am studying A2 media studies as well.

Also, in As level, so in year 12. What grade equals a pass in As grade. So will a grade D in As level, also mean a pass.

Please help by answering my question please.
Reply 1
I am not to sure if you fully understand the basic concepts of A-levels.
Year 1:
AS, graded A,B,C,D,E,U.
Anything above a U is a pass.
Usually schools only let you continue into A2 with a grade D or above

Year 2:
A2, graded A*,A,B,C,D,E,U.
Again, anything above a U is a pass.

AS+A2= A-level

Each subject specification is different at the moment. You are either 'old spec' or 'new spec'.
On the old spec, AS =50% of A-level, and A2=50% of A-level.
On the new spec, A2=100% of A-level (this varies between each subject, ie where course work is involved). And AS content will appear alongside A2 content in your final exams.

You cannot study A2 without having completed AS unless you are on a 'fast track' course where you complete both AS and A2 in one year which is rare and usually for coursework subjects.
Reply 2
Original post by Morgii
I am not to sure if you fully understand the basic concepts of A-levels.
Year 1:
AS, graded A,B,C,D,E,U.
Anything above a U is a pass.
Usually schools only let you continue into A2 with a grade D or above

Year 2:
A2, graded A*,A,B,C,D,E,U.
Again, anything above a U is a pass.

AS+A2= A-level

Each subject specification is different at the moment. You are either 'old spec' or 'new spec'.
On the old spec, AS =50% of A-level, and A2=50% of A-level.
On the new spec, A2=100% of A-level (this varies between each subject, ie where course work is involved). And AS content will appear alongside A2 content in your final exams.

You cannot study A2 without having completed AS unless you are on a 'fast track' course where you complete both AS and A2 in one year which is rare and usually for coursework subjects.

I do understand. But wanted to know in detail.
So a D in As level is counted as a pass in As level. So it's a full As level. So a D in As level is counted as a full As level.

If your exam got remarked and went up a grade so to an As grade C, in a copy of your result will it have the updated remarked grade.

Also if you ask your head teacher to stamp the results sheet copy to prove its official from the school for university purpose, then will he do so.
Reply 3
Original post by SabithaK
I do understand. But wanted to know in detail.
So a D in As level is counted as a pass in As level. So it's a full As level. So a D in As level is counted as a full As level.

If your exam got remarked and went up a grade so to an As grade C, in a copy of your result will it have the updated remarked grade.

Also if you ask your head teacher to stamp the results sheet copy to prove its official from the school for university purpose, then will he do so.

You aren't making complete sense. An AS level is half an A-level and so there is no such thing as a FULL AS level. If you have completed year 1 with a grade D then you have a qualification: AS in (subject) grade D.
As for the remark question, I have never had a remark before so that is something that you need to talk to your teachers about
Reply 4
Original post by Morgii
You aren't making complete sense. An AS level is half an A-level and so there is no such thing as a FULL AS level. If you have completed year 1 with a grade D then you have a qualification: AS in (subject) grade D.
As for the remark question, I have never had a remark before so that is something that you need to talk to your teachers about

So a grade D in As will count as an As level.I will ask my head teacher, since my as media was remarked to a grade C, then surely on a copy of my results it should have my new remarked grade.
Reply 5
Original post by SabithaK
So a grade D in As will count as an As level.I will ask my head teacher, since my as media was remarked to a grade C, then surely on a copy of my results it should have my new remarked grade.

Yes an AS grade is a stand alone qualification. If you take it up to A2 and get a full A-Level then it is not a stand alone qualification.

I.e. Your C at AS is a qualification. But as soon as you get a grade at A2 your qualification becomes an a-level and you no longer have an AS grade in media but an A-level in media
Reply 6
Original post by Morgii
Yes an AS grade is a stand alone qualification. If you take it up to A2 and get a full A-Level then it is not a stand alone qualification.

I.e. Your C at AS is a qualification. But as soon as you get a grade at A2 your qualification becomes an a-level and you no longer have an AS grade in media but an A-level in media

But, just to be clear, you need to declare both the AS and the A-level grades (and any resits) on your UCAS.
Reply 7
If you drop out now you will have an AS qualification if you get the A2 qualification (A-Level) then that AS is wiped :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Rigby16
if you get the A2 qualification (A-Level) then that AS is wiped :smile:

Not if it's a reformed/linear subject, it isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Not if it's a reformed/linear subject, it isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But say you're applying to uni post A-levels. You wouldn't be able to use both your AS and A2 for the same subject to count towards UCAS tariffs, right?

I always thought the AS was wiped when you got the A2, because you don't need it anymore.
Reply 10
Original post by Abstract_Prism
But say you're applying to uni post A-levels. You wouldn't be able to use both your AS and A2 for the same subject to count towards UCAS tariffs, right?

I always thought the AS was wiped when you got the A2, because you don't need it anymore.

That's correct - but you must still declare the grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending