The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by olly_price
Anyone have any idea of the number of applications that are made for given summer internship position vs. the number that make assessment centres? I am wondering for BB and smaller but still big ones such as Nomura or BNP.

A few hundred applications?? 20 to the AC?? Have no idea haha.

you are severely underestimating this crap.
here are the #s for a regional US BB (EMEA) office of which i'm sure of:
2500 apps for 5 AC spots for 1 final spot.
same odds at another for the same regional office but for 2 spots instead.
here are the #s for the SW of another US bb @london
5000 apps for 150 first rounds and 30 spots in the end.

Unless you qualify as some sort of diversity hire (B/F/LGBT) you're gonna need a spotless resume and then some luck with itw'er castings to get a spot some place.
Original post by DaFrenchy
About Centerview, what happens after the first chat with Dartmouth and when does it happen ?

F2F with Dartmouth. Idk when it happens but had the first chat on friday and was told would hear back start of this week but haven't heard yet
Does anyone know if/how many ACs PJT already had or if they have given out offers already?
Original post by savonarollla
you are severely underestimating this crap.
here are the #s for a regional US BB (EMEA) office of which i'm sure of:
2500 apps for 5 AC spots for 1 final spot.
same odds at another for the same regional office but for 2 spots instead.
here are the #s for the SW of another US bb @london
5000 apps for 150 first rounds and 30 spots in the end.

Unless you qualify as some sort of diversity hire (B/F/LGBT) you're gonna need a spotless resume and then some luck with itw'er castings to get a spot some place.

Whilst i firmly believe in diversity - I know plenty of people who lie about their sexual orientation on their applications. I am curious if this is still considered / weighted in decision making.
Original post by blackboard
Whilst i firmly believe in diversity - I know plenty of people who lie about their sexual orientation on their applications. I am curious if this is still considered / weighted in decision making.

lol, i have a hard time believing there are straight guys saying that they are gay on an employment form xD
lol, i have a hard time believing there are straight guys saying that they are gay on an employment form xD

like I said I have plenty of colleagues who lie. When you are out there to differentiate yourself and get an interview in one of the most competitive industries.... you do just about anything.

P.S. Not just the guys!!!
Reply 4766
Anyone heard back from HL final round?
like I said I have plenty of colleagues who lie. When you are out there to differentiate yourself and get an interview in one of the most competitive industries.... you do just about anything.

ok now i got it.
well ****. i'm a lesbian now gimme my interviews :angry:

Nah because on the application form that section gets filtered off. I think it's more if you have an organisation that helps people from your background into the industry by placing influential recommendations and giving you networking/training with professionals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
can anyone suggest good report on M&A trends in 2016?
Original post by shandawg
Has anyone done the UBS first round?

Willing to help out with RBC, MS, HSBC, PJT

PM me!
Original post by torres657
can anyone suggest good report on M&A trends in 2016?

if you just need the #s
google THOMSON REUTERS LEAGUE TABLES M&A H1 2016
Do Morgan Stanley conduct both telephone interview on the same day? Or do you have to pass the first one before the second?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4773
Jefferies (grad) first round IBD interview advice?
(edited 7 years ago)
if you just need the #s
google THOMSON REUTERS LEAGUE TABLES M&A H1 2016

thanks, I am always using Thomson/Dealogic to check rankings, but I need the one more for getting some ideas to have discussion around industry/trends this year
Original post by gsbs2
Mergermarket, pm me if you want the Q3 one

thanks man, I actually have it already
thanks, I am always using Thomson/Dealogic to check rankings, but I need the one more for getting some ideas to have discussion around industry/trends this year

0 growth / low interest rates : financing is cheap, let's do SOMETHING with it while it lasts !!!!
the pound is 20% down: let's seize these prime UK assets !!
with this you're covered usually.
more complicated:
FIG - italian gov created a bad loan portfolio with some tasty yield, there might be a market for this junk let's move around loan portfolios
Sponsors - although funding is readily available, pricing sucks, everything is so ****ing expensive, reaching that 20% irr is tough, let's add some add-on acquisitions using the cheap cash and cov-lite financing
Beverages: **** europeans and their healthy diets, let's buy some US drinks
Snacks/food: **** europeans and their healthy diets, let's get into protein bars/green crap/pseudo healthy ****
0 growth / low interest rates : financing is cheap, let's do SOMETHING with it while it lasts !!!!
the pound is 20% down: let's seize these prime UK assets !!
with this you're covered usually.
more complicated:
FIG - italian gov created a bad loan portfolio with some tasty yield, there might be a market for this junk let's move around loan portfolios
Sponsors - although funding is readily available, pricing sucks, everything is so ****ing expensive, reaching that 20% irr is tough, let's add some add-on acquisitions using the cheap cash and cov-lite financing
Beverages: **** europeans and their healthy diets, let's buy some US drinks
Snacks/food: **** europeans and their healthy diets, let's get into protein bars/green crap/pseudo healthy ****

wow good points, very useful

what is your view on energy and healthcare?
wow good points, very useful

what is your view on energy and healthcare?

my take on energy dates from when i was following the special oil situation back in august:

mid-stream: there's action in MLP's (mater limited partnerships, funds who own pipelines and get an income at $/m^3*distance) because they are affected by volumes not by the oil price
up-stream: calamity
oil services: calamity
energy is responsible for 1.6% of default rates in Europe (out of 2%) so all of the Rx is focused on that tho'.
that and shipping.

i don't follow healthcare, kinda complicated if you're not dedicated to it.
my take on energy dates from when i was following the special oil situation back in august:

mid-stream: there's action in MLP's (mater limited partnerships, funds who own pipelines and get an income at $/m^3*distance) because they are affected by volumes not by the oil price
up-stream: calamity
oil services: calamity
energy is responsible for 1.6% of default rates in Europe (out of 2%) so all of the Rx is focused on that tho'.
that and shipping.

i don't follow healthcare, kinda complicated if you're not dedicated to it.

thoughts on tech, and leveraged finance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending