The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
I'm still waiting for Croydon
Reply 621
Original post by Em1979
Hope you hear something soon! Good luck!

Thanks, you too. Cant stand this waiting
Reply 622
Original post by Lindere
Yeah, I wanted to give myself a bit of time to relax and prepare before going through the toture of the past few weeks again 😅

If I get an interview I hope I can do the same ha, ha!
Prepping for my interview in Cardiff next week and seeking a little advice please! Would you say it is sufficient to apply the competency 'delivering at pace' to my current job role, explaining how within my role I do this exact thing, or is it best to drill down and discuss a particular incident/case as if its an isolated incident of delivering this competency? Thanks in advance and best of luck to all those waiting to hear and prepping :smile:
Original post by katchooon
Prepping for my interview in Cardiff next week and seeking a little advice please! Would you say it is sufficient to apply the competency 'delivering at pace' to my current job role, explaining how within my role I do this exact thing, or is it best to drill down and discuss a particular incident/case as if its an isolated incident of delivering this competency? Thanks in advance and best of luck to all those waiting to hear and prepping :smile:

You need to give a specific example. How you went about the task, your thought process, how you dealt with challenges and problems, what the end result was, what you learned from it etc
Reply 625
Hey anyone else already been at the interview
Just had the email to invite to interview. So relieved! Just to know is satisfaction enough!

I've had zero luck over the last few years with jobs. Hopefully my luck is about to change.

Liverpool.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sk80gse
Just had the email to invite to interview. So relieved! Just to know is satisfaction enough!

I've had zero luck over the last few years with jobs. Hopefully my luck is about to change.

Liverpool.

Congratulations, good luck with your interview
Reply 628
Original post by Sk80gse

Liverpool.

Yey well done! Good luck! I still haven't heard (uh oh!)
Original post by Em1979
Yey well done! Good luck! I still haven't heard (uh oh!)

Thank you! I hope you hear soon!
Congrats Sk80gse! No news was good news after all.....

Still waiting...not sure what to think anymore! (Belfast)
Had my interview today in Cardiff . bit confused why others have said interviews asked very simply 'Tell me about a time when' and then the competency. Mine wasn't and each question was not just that had a specific slant , one of them very specific. Really threw me especially after reading others saying they were simply. Agree that they asked you to say a bit about yourself at start but don't think they score it. Was told the recruitment is so huge a lot of people won't hear until Jan 2017 and start Feb !
Reply 632
Im the same still waiting in belfast 😔
Reply 633
Can you give anymore detail on the questions you were asked?
The candidate pack isn't really clear, just says they will ask three key questions covering three competencies and that "the questions are unique to this interview and will be asked of all candidates" 😣
Reply 634
Got an email inviting me to an interview in Glasgow at 16:26 today.

Booked in for next Wednesday afternoon, so down to work on competencies til then!
Original post by ellemewo
Had my interview today in Cardiff . bit confused why others have said interviews asked very simply 'Tell me about a time when' and then the competency. Mine wasn't and each question was not just that had a specific slant , one of them very specific. Really threw me especially after reading others saying they were simply. Agree that they asked you to say a bit about yourself at start but don't think they score it. Was told the recruitment is so huge a lot of people won't hear until Jan 2017 and start Feb !

Hi, is this an AO role? :smile:
no, heo :smile:
I have an interview coming up this week, in Bristol, and am VERY nervous as I have no idea what to expect. I too received the email to explain that lots of people have applied and there would be a delay, it is always a worry when you know there have been a large amount of people applying for a much smaller amount of jobs. I struggled to sleep until I got the email which said I was among the highest scoring.

I have managed to produce good examples for the Making Effective Decisions and Leading and Communicating competencies which have got me this far. Now I am struggling to come up with examples for the Delivering at Pace and Managing a Quality Service - which I guess are what the interview is all about (along with repeating my Making Effective Decisions for the application form).

It sounds as if there is a chance to tell them a little bit about yourself and why you want to work for HMRC - this is nice and I feel pretty confident about this. It is just trying to cover all the bullet points for each competency and not knowing exactly what questions they are going to ask - that makes it very hard to prepare.

There seems to be some confusion/differences on here about what the interview actually consists of? To be honest we are all essentially competing against eachother for these jobs so I can't see people telling everyone exactly what happens in the interview. But if anyone can provide any information about what goes on in the interview, I am sure many of us would be very grateful!

Anyway, looks like I am going to awake all night trying to prepare these competencies.....

Good luck to everyone with your interviews
Reply 638
hi ellemewo what questions were you asked
The comventional way of interviewing in the civil service is to ask questions such as can you give me an example of when you have done xyz and your example should tie in with the indicators for a particular competency.

However, I know in the Hidden Economy department when they did their last big recruitment drive they asked very specific questions e.g. You have gone to visit a trader who has become very irate about your presence, how do you respond?

I know in the June HO campaign two people I work with at the same location were asked either competency questions or scenario questions.

I heard somewhere that in previous campaigns some of those recruited don't have the skills required for the job despite doing well at a competency based interview. And so I think the scenario questions are being asked to some candidates to trial how that works.

Be prepared for both types of question.

Latest