The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ShatnersBassoon
I did this paper a few days ago and although I couldn't find a mark scheme, for question 6 I got exactly the same answers as you with exactly the same reasoning. So we would have got the same score... which is hopefully 15/15. If you did the rest of the paper, do you mind checking to see if your answers were the same as mine? Question 5 was a 'show that', but for questions 1, 2 and 3, I'm not sure what, if anything, I got wrong.

Spoiler

I did all the questions (1-7) - I may have made some mistakes but tried to write some full solutions that may be useful

MAT 2006 Sample Solutions (might not be correct)

Edit: amended 1H

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KloppOClock

Doesn't it say that a is less than -1 so a^2 must be greater than 1 so therefore if 7b^2 = a^2 then

b^2 = (a^2) / 7

as a^2 must be greater than 1 then (a^2)/7 must be greater than 0 as it will still be positive. So b^2 must be greater than 0
Original post by some-student
I did all the questions (1-7) - I may have made some mistakes but tried to write some full solutions that may be useful

Thank you; that's very helpful. It's reassuring to see we got the same answers for everything but 1 (h). I don't know if you're doing A levels but part (d) required C3 [a year 13 module] knowledge so it wouldn't come up on any of the MAT papers today.

With part (h), I'm guessing this is also something you haven't studied yet. The right hand side of the equation is a geometric series, for which there's a formula when summing to infinity. Your range of sinxsinx and sin2xsin^2x is correct, but there are plenty of infinite sums which equal 2, for instance 1+12+14+18+...1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{8} + .... In this case, the sum 23+(23)2+(23)3+...=2 \frac{2}{3} + (\frac{2}{3})^2 + (\frac{2}{3})^3 + ... = 2 is relevant, and sinx=23sinx = \frac{2}{3} has two solutions between 0 and 2π, so I think the answer is (c).

For everything else, it looks like we had the same method, with one exception:
For 3(ii), rather than using your algebraic method (which is ingenious, but I think my method is simpler), I used my sketch in part (i). You know that y = f(x) should intersect the line y = -k at two points, one with a negative x value and another with a positive x value. You should be able to see from your graph that y = -k must be a tangent to the minimum you found at x = 1 + 1/√3. The y co-ordinate will be f(1 + 1/√3) = (1 + 1/√3)(1/√3)(1/√3 -1) = 2/(3√3). Thus -k = 2/(3√3), so [after rationalising] k = (-2√3)/9.

So if you're in year 12, why have you been doing MAT papers? Are you planning on applying to Oxford next year? Is it for fun? Or maybe a bit of both?
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
Thank you; that's very helpful. It's reassuring to see we got the same answers for everything but 1 (h). I don't know if you're doing A levels but part (d) required C3 [a year 13 module] knowledge so it wouldn't come up on any of the MAT papers today.

With part (h), I'm guessing this is also something you haven't studied yet. The right hand side of the equation is a geometric series, for which there's a formula when summing to infinity. Your range of sinxsinx and sin2xsin^2x is correct, but there are plenty of infinite sums which equal 2, for instance 1+12+14+18+...1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{8} + .... In this case, the sum 23+(23)2+(23)3+...=2 \frac{2}{3} + (\frac{2}{3})^2 + (\frac{2}{3})^3 + ... = 2 is relevant, and sinx=23sinx = \frac{2}{3} has two solutions between 0 and 2π, so I think the answer is (c).

For everything else, it looks like we had the same method, with one exception:
For 3(ii), rather than using your algebraic method (which is ingenious, but I think my method is simpler), I used my sketch in part (i). You know that y = f(x) should intersect the line y = -k at two points, one with a negative x value and another with a positive x value. You should be able to see from your graph that y = -k must be a tangent to the minimum you found at x = 1 + 1/√3. The y co-ordinate will be f(1 + 1/√3) = (1 + 1/√3)(1/√3)(1/√3 -1) = 2/(3√3). Thus -k = 2/(3√3), so [after rationalising] k = (-2√3)/9.

So if you're in year 12, why have you been doing MAT papers? Are you planning on applying to Oxford next year? Is it for fun? Or maybe a bit of both?

I'm applying next year but I'm doing MAT papers for fun really, but I feel an idiot now because I will have literally none to revise for next year when I apply. However I have told myself to not look at the 2016 paper until I start year 13. We've only started C2 now but I am looking forward to the harder modules.

Your method for 1H makes sense. I found the formula for an infinite sum in a geometric series and tried out 1H so that I could learn it (as I haven't got there in C2 yet):

We have the common ratio r=sinxr=\sin x, first term a=sinxa = \sin x

k=0sinkx=sinx1sinx\sum_{k=0}^\infty \sin^kx = \frac{\sin x}{1 - \sin x}

sinx1sinx=2sinx=22sinx\frac{\sin x}{1 - \sin x} = 2 \Longrightarrow \sin x = 2 - 2\sin x

3sinx=2sinx=233\sin x = 2 \Longrightarrow \sin x = \frac{2}{3}

I understand now - thanks :smile:

I did think my method for 3(ii) was a bit overblown but I hadn't done the sketch so I spent ages doing it that way :smile:.

What are you applying for? I think I'll go for CS or Maths & CS. Good luck to you and everyone else! :smile:
Part ii
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Integrate both sides of the given identity from -1 to 1, remember that the existing integral in that identity is just a number, you might find it helpful to call it u=11f(t)dtu = \int_{-1}^1 f(t) \, \mathrm{d}t and then integrate both sides like so:

116dx+11f(x)dx=211f(x)dx+u113x2dx\int_{-1}^1 6 \, \mathrm{d}x + \int_{-1}^{1} f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = 2\int_{-1}^1 f(-x) \, \mathrm{d}x + u\int_{-1}^1 3x^2 \, \mathrm{d}x

which then simplifies down to 12+u=2u+2u12 + u = 2u + 2u where uu is the answer you want.

I feel dumb, but could you explain how
Unparseable latex formula:

[br]\[\int_{1}^{-1}f(t)dt = u = \int_{1}^{-1}f(x)dx\]

or am I missing something in the simplification?
Original post by theaverage
Part ii

(x+1)22 \displaystyle \frac{(x+1)^2}{2} is perfectly valid as well since it's derivative is clearly x + 1. If you expand this you'll notice it differs from what you have only by a constant term, and constant terms don't matter since they disappear when you're taking the definite integral.

edit: had this page open for a while, by your edit I assume you figured it out
(edited 7 years ago)
Could anyone explain how you would work out 2013 Section 1 H, I and J? I've read through the solutions but I just can't figure out how I'd go about doing them if they came up in a different form next week!
Original post by alexhazmat

They're definite integrals so you don't care what the variable inside is called.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
They're definite integrals so you don't care what the variable inside is called.

I'm confused :confused:

I don't understand how we know that the integral of t w/respect to t is the same as the integral of x w/respect to x? Same limits, but aren't they completely different functions?

Original post by Zacken
okay, integrate x dx between -1 and 1, what number do you get?Integrate t dt between -1 and 1, what number do you get?

The t and x inside the integral don't matter, they're called dummy variables as long as the integral is a fefinite one with limits, then the letter doesn't matter since the integral just represents a number anyway.

It's a bit (actually, almost exactly) why in summation notation, it doesn't matter what letter you choose. The sum from k=1 to 100 of k is the same as the sum from m=1 to 100 of m. The letters are just placeholders.

This has tripped up many a student in the past.

...remember that if you have a definite integral, that's just a really long way of writing a NUMBER. It's a CONSTANT. No matter what variable you use inside the integral, the entire thing eventually evaluates to some number. This is in contrast to indefinite integrals where it evaluates to a FUNCTION.
(edited 7 years ago)

I don't understand how we know that the integral of t w/respect to t is the same as the integral of x w/respect to x? Same limits, but aren't they completely different functions?

No, the function is f in either case..

Say that f(x) = x^3 (just for an example); then f(t) = t^3... t is simply a different variable; the function f is simply performing operations on whatever variable is input. If you were asked to sketch both, you would get the same curve... so integrating between the same limits would yield the same result

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
...remember that if you have a definite integral, that's just a really long way of writing a NUMBER. It's a CONSTANT. No matter what variable you use inside the integral, the entire thing eventually evaluates to some number. This is in contrast to indefinite integrals where it evaluates to a FUNCTION.

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
No, the function is f in either case..

Original post by some-student
Say that f(x) = x^3 (just for an example); then f(t) = t^3... t is simply a different variable; the function f is simply performing operations on whatever variable is input. If you were asked to sketch both, you would get the same curve... so integrating between the same limits would yield the same result

It's worrying that this has tripped me up and the exam is in 6 days lol.

Thanks guys!
It's worrying that this has tripped me up and the exam is in 6 days lol.

Thanks guys!

It trips everybody up for some reason, probably because you aren't taught the distinction beteeen free/bound/dummy variables at school level in the A-Level sham of mathematics.
Good luck to everyone taking mat.
Multiple choice is probably the hardest part of the test and why marks are low take ur time and it will be decent. not the hardest mathematically but people tend to rush it and it is worth a lot.
dont be scared of q5 as sometimes it is literally trivial,in other instances it isn't.
can someone do 2004 Q1F and tell me what they get?
Reply 617
Original post by 11234
i found that the old ones are much easier than the new ones

the average marks decrease through the year, u should subtract how much from ur scores depends on much the previous average differs from the current average.
Reply 618
Original post by physicsmaths
Good luck to everyone taking mat.
Multiple choice is probably the hardest part of the test and why marks are low take ur time and it will be decent. not the hardest mathematically but people tend to rush it and it is worth a lot.
dont be scared of q5 as sometimes it is literally trivial,in other instances it isn't.

how long should i spend on the MCs? I can solve about 3~3.5 questions entirely out of the 4 free response ones. Even though I am not exactly sure how much time I take as I haven't do the free response by it self.
Reply 619
Original post by Mystery.
can someone do 2004 Q1F and tell me what they get?

If you can post the link for 2004 I can solve it for you.

Latest

Trending

Trending