The Student Room Group

need help on car guy!

Hey guys, iv passed my driving test like ages ago, probably 4 5 years ago. I'm a uni student and i have decided to commute to university coming this January so i have like 2 months to decide which car to get. The distance will be roughly around 70 miles from A to B and vice versa. Il probably stay one or two day in my friends flat when i have morning lessons so on average il be traveling 420 (blaze it!, sorry lol had to ) miles a week. Iv been researching for past month and the more deeper i go, i seem to get lost even more. So far, the car that i keep looking back to are;

golf tdi 1.6 or 2.0- most people say get 2.0 as 1.6 is a little cranky and not refined well
golf polo 1.4 tdi or tsi- i haven't researched much on this and still debating on my golf or polo mindset
vauxhal new astra cdti 1.6- iv recently stumbled on this beauty and it seems little better than golf but its a little more expensive
and little more on the new ford fiesta, corsa and all that.

Basically, my conclusion and understandment right now is, diesel is better for long commutes and is more fuel friendly, except i'm little confused on the new ford fiesta and corsa petrol which is eco friendly as well.

Could you guys please give me feedback which diesel car would best suit me or if not which petrol. My budget is 8k-10k, and iv looked into max mileage 40k and gotten most results around 8.5k-11k. Many thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by mikmendiri
Hey guys, iv passed my driving test like ages ago, probably 4 5 years ago. I'm a uni student and i have decided to commute to university coming this January so i have like 2 months to decide which car to get. The distance will be roughly around 70 miles from A to B and vice versa. Il probably stay one or two day in my friends flat when i have morning lessons so on average il be traveling 420 (blaze it!, sorry lol had to ) miles a week. Iv been researching for past month and the more deeper i go, i seem to get lost even more. So far, the car that i keep looking back to are;

golf tdi 1.6 or 2.0- most people say get 2.0 as 1.6 is a little cranky and not refined well
golf polo 1.4 tdi or tsi- i haven't researched much on this and still debating on my golf or polo mindset
vauxhal new astra cdti 1.6- iv recently stumbled on this beauty and it seems little better than golf but its a little more expensive

Basically, my conclusion and understandment right now is, diesel is better for long commutes and is more fuel friendly, except i'm little confused on the new ford fiesta and corsa petrol which is eco friendly as well.

Could you guys please give me feedback which diesel car would best suit me or if not which petrol. My budget is 8k-10k, and iv looked into max mileage 40k and gotten most results around 8.5k-11k. Many thanks!

Audi A1 1.6L 76MPG - dead cheap to insure

however if u want it to be even cheaper to insure
Audi A1 1.0L 68MPG

A-B would cost you around £4
Reply 2
Original post by Drunq
Audi A1 1.6L 76MPG - dead cheap to insure

however if u want it to be even cheaper to insure
Audi A1 1.0L 68MPG

A-B would cost you around £4

despite its cheap insurance, isn't Audi expensive as heck to maintain or even to
buy?
Reply 3
despite its cheap insurance, isn't Audi expensive as heck to maintain or even to
buy?

Cars lose over half their value after three years

Picking one up would cost less than 10k. Fuel efficiency is good for a petrol!!!!!! And insurance is just the cherry on the icing.
Reply 4
Original post by Drunq
Cars lose over half their value after three years

Picking one up would cost less than 10k. Fuel efficiency is good for a petrol!!!!!! And insurance is just the cherry on the icing.

Thanks for your quick reply, I just had a look at audi approved site and most under
20k mileage audi cars are around 11k. Kinda expensive, would investing on golf or other new fiesta or corsa or astra eco boost cars be better? Audi just seems expensive and hassle to look after
Reply 5
Thanks for your quick reply, I just had a look at audi approved site and most under
20k mileage audi cars are around 11k. Kinda expensive, would investing on golf or other new fiesta or corsa or astra eco boost cars be better? Audi just seems expensive and hassle to look after

you could go for a healthy 50k mileage. And yes you could go for a new car, however, with Audi you also get that sense of elegance along with the car that you don't really get with a corsa or fiesta.
Reply 6
Original post by Drunq
you could go for a healthy 50k mileage. And yes you could go for a new car, however, with Audi you also get that sense of elegance along with the car that you don't really get with a corsa or fiesta.

Haha, that is true. But for now all I was want is power house car which can last long for atleast 5 years. I don't really mind as long as it doesn't look like ford KA LOL. What about golf tdi? or even tsi or polo?. I feel vw just sits right in middle in terms of class from ford and all that to Mercedes and audi lot.

For that money with several thousand in change, you can buy a brand new car such as a Dacia Sandero or a Suzuki Celerio with a three year guarantee. It won't break down and you won't have big repair or maintenance bill, plus good mpg will save you money on that high mileage.
If you want a flasher option, you will end up paying for it.
Reply 8
Original post by Horsedobbin
For that money with several thousand in change, you can buy a brand new car such as a Dacia Sandero or a Suzuki Celerio with a three year guarantee. It won't break down and you won't have big repair or maintenance bill, plus good mpg will save you money on that high mileage.
If you want a flasher option, you will end up paying for it.

Suzuki Celerio looks a little too bland for my taste... Dacia Sandero however looks fineee, il have a look into it :biggrin:
edit: iv just looked in reddit posts, and people seem to keep saying golf is overpriced and it is the badge you're paying for. A lot of Volvo, civic and skoda seems be reasonably mentioned. Whats your say?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Suzuki Celerio looks a little too bland for my taste... Dacia Sandero however looks fineee, il have a look into it :biggrin:
edit: iv just looked in reddit posts, and people seem to keep saying golf is overpriced and it is the badge you're paying for. A lot of Volvo, civic and skoda seems be reasonably mentioned. Whats your say?

In all honesty, it's true. Nowadays you pay for the price. If you aren't going for the looks (excluding the KA :u:). A skoda should be reasonable.

If i were you I'd be looking at automatic transmissions due to long distance. It makes it easier and it's worth the extra 10/20p per one day journey.
Reply 10
Original post by Drunq
In all honesty, it's true. Nowadays you pay for the price. If you aren't going for the looks (excluding the KA :u:). A skoda should be reasonable.

If i were you I'd be looking at automatic transmissions due to long distance. It makes it easier and it's worth the extra 10/20p per one day journey.

I have researched a lot of forums, since it's filled with experienced users who give feedbacks and etc rather than looking at biased, ad filled sites and etc. And a lot of users have pointed towards the new ford fiesta for being worth its price for drivers with budget under 10k. It seems good but the 1.0 engine, is that even powerful enough for motorway? i drive my mums aygo 1.0 sometimes to work and its nightmare going up the hill.

Would 1.0 giving more KW (PS) than, for instance, 1.4 KW (PS) mean, 1.0 outputs more power or torque or whatever you call it?

update: it has lots of tags for being good at city and motorway aka best of both though... hmmmm
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
I have researched a lot of forums, since it's filled with experienced users who give feedbacks and etc rather than looking at biased, ad filled sites and etc. And a lot of users have pointed towards the new ford fiesta for being worth its price for drivers with budget under 10k. It seems good but the 1.0 engine, is that even powerful enough for motorway? i drive my mums aygo 1.0 sometimes to work and its nightmare going up the hill.

Would 1.0 giving more KW (PS) than, for instance, 1.4 KW (PS) mean, 1.0 outputs more power or torque or whatever you call it?

update: it has lots of tags for being good at city and motorway aka best of both though... hmmmm

Yes of course it's powerful enough.

I have an Audi A1 1.0L TDSI automatic 2016 plate. And knowing ford their engines are world class and will do great!

140horse power that ford has. On the other hand my Audi only has 95HP but does 0-60 in around 11 seconds.
Reply 12
Original post by Drunq
Yes of course it's powerful enough.

I have an Audi A1 1.0L TDSI automatic 2016 plate. And knowing ford their engines are world class and will do great!

140horse power that ford has. On the other hand my Audi only has 95HP but does 0-60 in around 11 seconds.

Thanks a lot man!, you have been big help. im looking into seat 1.6 and 2.0 diesel hatchbacks currently :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest