The Student Room Group

Looking for a good University that does a concept art course?

I have already sent in an application form in for a interview for Teesside University to do a concept art course next September, but i'm not sure if I want to go down there as it's quite a rough area from what I have heard people say. I have tried looking into to other Universities but only found a few, like Staffordshire and Doncaster University but from what I have read from the reviews of both uni's they don't seem to particularly very good compared to Teesside, but the only reason why I am a bit put have off by going to Teesside is because of the area. Do any of you know of a good University that does a concept art course, specifically as I don't want to do a games design course or anything like that as Its not what I want to pursue?
Original post by Elexion
I have already sent in an application form in for a interview for Teesside University to do a concept art course next September, but i'm not sure if I want to go down there as it's quite a rough area from what I have heard people say. I have tried looking into to other Universities but only found a few, like Staffordshire and Doncaster University but from what I have read from the reviews of both uni's they don't seem to particularly very good compared to Teesside, but the only reason why I am a bit put have off by going to Teesside is because of the area. Do any of you know of a good University that does a concept art course, specifically as I don't want to do a games design course or anything like that as Its not what I want to pursue?

Have you read through the creative skillset advice on pathways into concept art careers: http://creativeskillset.org/job_roles/3072_concept_artist

Essentially they don't specify a concept art degree as the most common route (mainly because as you've noticed - it isn't very common or established) but through graphics/illustration or VFX/animation.

I'd recommend looking into these degrees - dig into the various websites of universities offering them to decide if they offer the sort of flexibility/grounding that you are looking for to build a concept art portfolio and make contacts in industry to get into this career.

(although for the record Teesside has an excellent record for games design/games programming - they have excellent links with industry and have essentially developed a local hub of designers http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/business/business-news/entrepreneurial-revolution-shaping-computer-games-9693517#r3z-addoor - but if you don't want to do games design then that very likely isn't the best course for you)
I'm not sure what concept art is but Goldsmiths is an amazing university for the arts so check them, sorry I couldn't be helpful lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile
I looked at Teeside and I wasn't particularly impressed by the work on there webpage. It's a new course, it might be great, it might be awful who knows going is a risk but it might be one that pays off. If you don't want to do a games course then Illustration is your best bet. I haven't found any particular illustration courses that strike my as good for concept art specifically. But good by reputation are Falmouth and Camberwell. Also perhaps consider a 2D animation course. Could provide some of the things you'll need. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest