The Student Room Group

What makes us human?

What makes us human?

Scroll to see replies

From what perspective ?
Reply 2
Original post by dr_sepheroth
From what perspective ?

Philosophical. As in, what would mentally distinguish us from other animals? Where is the line drawn?
From a Science Perspective
Hydrogen as this is the first element that is fused in a star. We all know we are carbon based life forms, but carbon is a heavier element and does not fuse in standard star, carbon is created in red and white dwarf stars and super nova implosions. Hence we are made from star stuff hence we are made from hydrogen.

From the Sociological Perspective
Humans are made from competition, war, crime and fear

From a Philosophical point of view.
It can be argued that Love is the only ingredient required to make us human, but this can also be debated as another view states that our desire to explore and understand is what makes us human.
I personally think aspects from all three views are relevant.
Original post by JapanNet
What makes us human?

The capacity to willfully choose to do evil acts imo. Yes, I know animals do things we consider evil (such as killing other animals and non-consensual sex) but they do it out of instinct as opposed to conscious choice
Reply 5
It can be argued that Love is the only ingredient required to make us human, but this can also be debated as another view states that our desire to explore and understand is what makes us human.

Love is a concept created by humans. So according to you are we not then trying to justify our existence by a concept that we made up?
Philosophical. As in, what would mentally distinguish us from other animals? Where is the line drawn?

Ok from that side of the philosophical perspective.
Humans have the ability to exert control over their impulses, many animals do not have this ability.

It is argued that humans are born potty trained, and there is proof to support this. Most animals are not born potty trained.

The Medulla Oblongata in most animals does not continue to the Mid Pons area of the brain or in anyway connect to the Corpus Collosum.

Many animals react on impulse alone humans react on a delicate balance of impulse, feeling, experience and knowledge.

Humans are capable of making an informed choice based on their situation as to weather or not they want to work, most animals are not given this choice.

Humans are unable to see the world through olfactory sense, hear or see extreme high / low frequencies. Many animals poses these abilities and as such an animals perception of the environment around them may be vastly different to a humans perception. This will obviously effect how various species interact with other species, other members of their social group and the world around them.

Many animals do not have the ability to see in 3D, others are unable to tolerate sun light, some can not tolerate moon light, while others do not have a visual sense and rely soley on sound and smell (some species of shark for example)

Humans are also flexible, most animals are not nearly as flexible as a human. If you asked a dog to eat a diet of lettuce, that dog might nibble at it once or twice, but he would give up very quickly. A Human can adapt to dramatic changes most animals are unable to do this and so unable to be flexible.

Love is a concept created by humans. So according to you are we not then trying to justify our existence by a concept that we made up?

That said there is no definitive definition for what Love is.

From a Neurological point of view, Love is the repeated activation of a group of memory synapses that cause an increase in the activation of 5-HTP Receptors and a decrease in the Dopamine Antagonist's
In simple terms Neurologists believe Love is a collection of memories that bring you good feelings and so you think of them repetitively.

I would say this explanation of Love has merit but not nearly enough explanation to define the nature of Love and what it is.
Animals kill each other for food and in fights of territory, mating and dominance. This is normal not evil. Animals do this to survive.

Humans kill each other not for survival but for revenge, or to resolve an argument. This is not normal and is Evil.
Reply 10
Was just covering this very question for an economic history class. From what I have read, many classical economists considered our ability to communicate and thus facilitate trade and exchange as what makes us human.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) we have oral language
2) we have rationality
Original post by sleepysnooze
1) we have oral language
2) we have rationality

1) what about sign language
2) what about the psychopaths
The vanity, the insecurity, the thirst for power, the constant denial of the futility it all.
:evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana::jebus::evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana:
John Locke thought that life, liberty, and property were the fundamentals for a truly human existence.

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bxcks_
1) what about sign language
2) what about the psychopaths

1) that's an addition then - orally coded language is unique to humans but then again sign language would also be unique to us. maybe "complex language" should be the better replacement
2) you mean "retards"? because psychopaths aren't irrational
Original post by sleepysnooze
1) that's an addition then - orally coded language is unique to humans but then again sign language would also be unique to us. maybe "complex language" should be the better replacement
2) you mean "retards"? because psychopaths aren't irrational

1) complex language sounds better😇
2) hmm I think retards is too strong, but basically there are people out there who have no sense of rationality🤔
Original post by bxcks_
1) complex language sounds better😇
2) hmm I think retards is too strong, but basically there are people out there who have no sense of rationality🤔

maybe "intellectually calculated language" - I forgot that there are animals out there (quite a lot really) who have very complex mating calls but they are understood not from intelligence but from instinct
and hmm well "retard" is an easy generalisation of people who have a very challenging time thinking
memes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending