The Student Room Group

June 24th: 'UK Independence Day'. The People of Great Britain Have Spoken. Now What?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pinkberry_y
There are plenty of other more exotic countries besides France Germany and co that British citizens can go to on their holidays without needing a visa. For example many countries in South America, Malaysia, Thailand etc. If anything maybe this will encourage people to broaden their horizons.

Also we'll be getting reduced influx of certain citizens of certain Eastern European countries, which is really what the aim was anyway

Original post by InnerTemple
Cool - lets sort out my Autumn holiday plans!

London to Barcelona. Flight time: 2 hours and 15 minutes. Cost: £40

London to Phuket. Flight time: 21 hours and 40 minutes. Cost: £430

10 times the cost. 10 times the time on a plane. I'm still not seeing how this is a good thing... especially given that non EU destinations were already an option for British holiday makers.

See the highlighted.

Edit: also you are being completely pedantic and over dramatic. Us leaving the EU will just mean visas will be set in place. People will still be able to travel to EU countries, they'll just need a visa. It would NOT be in the best interests of these countries to be banning British citizens from entering as you're acting like they are
(edited 7 years ago)
See the highlighted.

Edit: also you are being completely pedantic and over dramatic. Us leaving the EU will just mean visas will be set in place. People will still be able to travel to EU countries, they'll just need a visa. It would NOT be in the best interests of these countries to be banning British citizens from entering as you're acting like they are

Well it hasn't been established that there will be a halt to EU immigration. The way things are going, we could still be left with freedom of movement applying to us. So I wouldn't rest too easy on that point.

And anyway, stopping immigration from the EU doesn't matter to me - and it doesn't matter to a lot of people who voted to leave.

I never said that we would be prevented from entering EU countries. I was commenting on what has been mooted. It is clear that these plans would add further requirements for British holiday makers. They'd have to apply for a visa and no doubt this would cost money. Whichever way you slice it, under these suggestions, the position of a British holiday maker is worse after Brexit than it was before.

You were the one who responded by suggesting that a jaunt to South America or the Far East was a suitable alternative to popping over the Channel.
Well it hasn't been established that there will be a halt to EU immigration. The way things are going, we could still be left with freedom of movement applying to us. So I wouldn't rest too easy on that point.

And anyway, stopping immigration from the EU doesn't matter to me - and it doesn't matter to a lot of people who voted to leave.

I never said that we would be prevented from entering EU countries. I was commenting on what has been mooted. It is clear that these plans would add further requirements for British holiday makers. They'd have to apply for a visa and no doubt this would cost money. Whichever way you slice it, under these suggestions, the position of a British holiday maker is worse after Brexit than it was before.

You were the one who responded by suggesting that a jaunt to South America or the Far East was a suitable alternative to popping over the Channel.

Holiday makers can save up for a more meaningful holiday than a week of tanning by the Spanish/Greek coast and getting wasted, where would the harm in that be? Maybe they'd come back more cultured after a holiday to Thailand as opposed to Magaluf.
Holiday makers can save up for a more meaningful holiday than a week of tanning by the Spanish/Greek coast and getting wasted, where would the harm in that be? Maybe they'd come back more cultured after a holiday to Thailand as opposed to Magaluf.

Alternatively, they may come back more cultured having explored the Minoan ruins in Crete as opposed to getting stoned at a full moon party in Thailand.

If your knowledge on the topic amounts to "EU = Magaluf", then you clearly have no idea.

You seem to be admitting that visiting more distant places would cost more and mean that people take fewer holidays. Why can't you just admit that these proposals would be a bad result for ordinary British holiday makers?
Alternatively, they may come back more cultured having explored the Minoan ruins in Crete as opposed to getting stoned at a full moon party in Thailand.

If your knowledge on the topic amounts to "EU = Magaluf", then you clearly have no idea.

You seem to be admitting that visiting more distant places would cost more and mean that people take fewer holidays. Why can't you just admit that these proposals would be a bad result for ordinary British holiday makers?

It will be an online visa application form that will take minutes to complete. It will take longer to read the small print on your ryan air booking and will become an automatic thing like checking in online and pre advising your passport number. People of the UK will adapt!
People like you are over reacting. If your heart is so set on Barcelona and Crete, even adding on the cost of a visa won't make the holiday cost as much as a plain ticket to South America.
Having said this, I think we'd gain more from visit far and remote countries

Having said this, I think we'd gain more from visit far and remote countries

And we can't do that now why?
And we can't do that now why?

Of course we can still do that, but by implementing the visa to EU countries, it will stop people flocking to France and co like they're on autopilot and encourage them to broaden their scope
Of course we can still do that

So the only thing that'll change is that it'll be slightly more hassle and costly to visit 27 countries than it was beforehand.

but by implementing the visa to EU countries, it will stop people flocking to France and co like they're on autopilot and encourage them to broaden their scope

So you think that the proposals are onerous enough to encourage people to think of going somewhere outside of the EU. But that, on the whole, this is a good thing because people can't be trusted to decide where to go on holiday on their own?

Aside from the fact that people should be able to holiday wherever they want, I don't think that the proposals will work this way.

Other destinations are much more expensive and further away. They just aren't suitable alternatives for many EU destinations.

People will continue to go to the continent. But now their holidays have just got more expensive and there is more admin.

It's amazing that you see this as a gain. The mind of a Brexiter eh?
I think it's a bit foolish to deny that holidays have got 'worse' due to Brexit, with the additional admin and fees impending, but in the bright side it's literally only £50 added on and won't take too long to complete. Inconvenient, but not exactly the be all and end all. My biggest concern right now is single market access or some kind, at least for our services. Without this I think we'll be in a tough economic position. I am mellowing a bit to some other Brexit causes though, like increased self-governance. I think for me, the most desirable outcome now is 'soft' Brexit where we retain single market access but don't have to subscribe to certain other policies and laws.
Original post by Foo.mp3
It's tragic, Bremoaners are still at it! :laugh:

Looks less likely by the day, tbh. Far too much uncertainty/potential risk for economic misery. Bad luck SNP separatists! :redface:

the leave supporters will be the ones moaning soon, no one in parliament wants Brexit, our situation is almost certainly going to be identical to how things are now, and you lot will whinge about not getting your precious lowered immigration or that £350 million
Original post by Foo.mp3
(no longer can they palm off criticism onto the EU, post-Brexit) :naughty:

Providing they give us everything we want in any deal. If not it's their fault and not messrs Fox, Davis and Johnson.
Original post by Foo.mp3
True. The low oil price has also put a dampener on Operation Scottie Freedom. Plus Spain have ostensively ruled out any band of Scots separatists joining (due to domestic concerns about their own merry band of separatist rebels) :horse:

When? They said if the UK leaves, Scotland leaves; ruling out the pie in the sky idea of little England ****ing off over the precipice while Scotland and NI remain. Besides, provided Scotland go through it via indyref2 rather than declaring unilaterally, it means nothing for the Catalans or basques, given Spains constitution prevents independence referendums for those regions, who'd have to declare independence unilaterally. Scotland seceding by Westminster doesn't give Spain any problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foo.mp3
Now is not a time for puerile/jubilant triumphalism. Instead, we must focus on dampening the fires of hysteria, restoring confidence, reuniting the nation behind a positive vision of a prosperous future UK, and collectively taking the country forward in a calm, considered, and responsible spirit

This means holding politicians well and truly to account, going forward, and ensuring that we mitigate risk and ward off the circling vultures – preventing them from capitalising on/worsening societal conditions e.g. in terms of rights, freedoms, inequality, spatial deprivation, and division

Whichever way we voted – rich or poor, young or old, urbanites or rural folk, North, South, East, or West – and whatever our reasons for doing so, it now falls to each and every Brit to make the most of our revitalised Democratic powers, for the common good and in the national interest

We will pause before changing our leadership and effecting withdrawal under Article 50; let’s each and every one of us support the public/private/third sectors in making the most of this time by steadying the ship and charting a sensible course through uncharted waters

Britannia: unite, heal, and prosper

The Answers Lie within this document!

Innovative Economics For A Free Britain!
Original post by Foo.mp3
Indeed so. In some respects the site is less knee-jerk reactionary 'progressive' than it was back in the day, but if nothing else the EUref has shown a great many sheeple here/in the UK lack composure when exposed to doom and gloom propaganda. Funny to think this is a country that battled through two world wars and toughed out the Great Depression. Brits are supposed to have backbone! :horse:

So our benchmarks for how much we should tolerate challenging circumstances without dissent are periods of time during which UK world trade halved and 1% to 2% of the population was killed?

No wonder you've always been so blasé about the consquences of Brexit!
Original post by offhegoes
So our benchmarks for how much we should tolerate challenging circumstances without dissent are periods of time during which UK world trade halved and 1% to 2% of the population was killed?

No wonder you've always been so blasé about the consquences of Brexit!

It's all going to be fine. Two years of possible uncertainty then far better for us than the in the Communist- sorry European- Union
Original post by james813
It's all going to be fine. Two years of possible uncertainty then far better for us than the in the Communist- sorry European- Union

So, please do elaborate how you think it'll be better in two years' time.

Because people seem to have heard this once and keep repeating it. Go on, explain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For a start we will be making new trade deals for businesses as countries are already queuing up to sign them with us (New Zealand, Australia, USA (if Donald wins))

Unlike the EU who allows less than 1% of its population to veto a 7 year deal.

Then our business will start to be freed from Eurocratic red tape if they aren't trading with Europe.

And if the EU bureaucrats decide to impose tariffs, we will get companies moving to the UK (considering our huge trade deficit with them)

:smile:

Original post by _Fergo
So, please do elaborate how you think it'll be better in two years' time.

Because people seem to have heard this once and keep repeating it. Go on, explain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
June 23rd is Independence Day, my main man Farage said so.
Original post by james813
For a start we will be making new trade deals for businesses as countries are already queuing up to sign them with us (New Zealand, Australia, USA (if Donald wins))

Unlike the EU who allows less than 1% of its population to veto a 7 year deal.

Then our business will start to be freed from Eurocratic red tape if they aren't trading with Europe.

And if the EU bureaucrats decide to impose tariffs, we will get companies moving to the UK (considering our huge trade deficit with them)

:smile:

Delusional.

All three of Australia,New Zealand and USA rejected requests to talk on the deals before exiting the EU. Australia has said in fact that it will first finalise a deal with the EU before doing so with the UK. 'Queing up'- lol.

But, what is mind-bobbling is that you use these potential deals as a reason to leave the EU when the UK already has them due to the EU.

Yes, because companies will choose a comparatively small economy over a huge one because... Reasons. And a trade deficit counts against the country, not in its favour jeez.

Logiked. See... Current Democracy is flawed precisely because people like you are allowed to vote.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I was so happy when brexit was decided; change is good 😇

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest