The Student Room Group

nato - assembling biggest troop buildup since cold war

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
Says the GCSE resitter. If you insist on educating yourself and believing every video off youtube plus grawing giant phallusses and swearing at the examiner in your exam papers, then you cant really be expected to be taken seriously.

Quite capable of making my own mind up thanks very much.

I also make my own mind up.

Just a word of advice. Don't listen to a reporter. Listen to the person they report on.

You seem very paranoid by this. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that anything will materialise from this. It's just a bolstering statement. NATO is drawing the line.
Original post by 2016_GCSE
I also make my own mind up.

Just a word of advice. Don't listen to a reporter. Listen to the person they report on.

Dude you are in year 10 or 11?

When you make your mind up you have made it obvious you dont have much of a mind to make up.

Your analytical skills are poor to non existent.
Dude you are in year 10 or 11?

When you make your mind up you have made it obvious you dont have much of a mind to make up.

Your analytical skills are poor to non existent.

I'm in Year 12... A-Levels (English Resit) (Passed Math, Core Science, Additional Science, Business)
(edited 7 years ago)
You guys are fools just leaching on main stream media and becoming glued to what they say. You should instead focus on what the people in power say and not some reporter.

Yep. Like that time the President of the US said there's a "red line" over chemical weapons in Syria. And then did nothing when they were used.

Or like the time the PrimeMinister said there would be no UK action in Syria and then used RAF aircraft to launch strikes in Syria.

Yep. You're exactly right. We should definitely only listen to politicians who never ever say something that later turns out to be not true.
Original post by Drewski
Yep. Like that time the President of the US said there's a "red line" over chemical weapons in Syria. And then did nothing when they were used.

Or like the time the PrimeMinister said there would be no UK action in Syria and then used RAF aircraft to launch strikes in Syria.

Yep. You're exactly right. We should definitely only listen to politicians who never ever say something that later turns out to be not true.

This is why you listen to them. Then go do the research online. Skip the middleman which is a reporter.
I'm in Year 12... A-Levels

Well 2 weeks ago you were posting how you were resitting your GCSE's

Its relevant on your threads because you make these great claims like building a wall at the UK French border, when we dont actually have one. Such consistently stupid ideas has helped you garner a reputation for being intellectually challenged. You seem to revel in it.
Well 2 weeks ago you were posting how you were resitting your GCSE's

Its relevant on your threads because you make these great claims like building a wall at the UK French border, when we dont actually have one. Such consistently stupid ideas has helped you garner a reputation for being intellectually challenged. You seem to revel in it.

Well intellectually challenged seems a bit far. But we do have a border with France. It's at sea.
Well intellectually challenged seems a bit far. But we do have a border with France. It's at sea.

Not for someone who thinks its a great idea to swear at their examiners, draw giant penises or think its a good idea to build a giant wall round the UK and cant see the practical difficulties.

The only border we have with France is the channel tunnel.
Go and look up the definition of border , international waters and EEZ. See what rights they confer.
Not for someone who thinks its a great idea to swear at their examiners, draw giant penises or think its a good idea to build a giant wall round the UK and cant see the practical difficulties.

The only border we have with France is the channel tunnel.
Go and look up the definition of border , international waters and EEZ. See what rights they confer.

Definition of BORDER:
a line separating two countries, administrative divisions, or other areas. A EEZ is a border under this definition.....

And A giant wall could be built or if your GREEN how about a Tidal lagoon?

Those exam papers were fine.
Definition of BORDER:
a line separating two countries, administrative divisions, or other areas. A EEZ is a border under this definition.....

And A giant wall could be built or if your GREEN how about a Tidal lagoon?

Those exam papers were fine.

It really isnt. A country has no sovereign rights over its EEZ.

Why would you be wanting to build a giant tidal lagoon around the UK. Just where would the lagoon come from?

I thought you wnated to build a wall?

If you hadnt noiced its taken them 30 years + to make a decision on building a 3rd runway at Heathrow.

Your idea of building a wall in the middle of the sea os stupid in the extreme.

Intellectually challenged seems to be overly generous for you.
It really isnt. A country has no sovereign rights over its EEZ.

Why would you be wanting to build a giant tidal lagoon around the UK. Just where would the lagoon come from?

I thought you wnated to build a wall?

If you hadnt noiced its taken them 30 years + to make a decision on building a 3rd runway at Heathrow.

Your idea of building a wall in the middle of the sea os stupid in the extreme.

Intellectually challenged seems to be overly generous for you.

Someone had to decide the EEZ and it had to be agreed as a meeting point between the UK and France...
Reply 32
Original post by Drewski
I'm quite fond of the one outside my window.

i dont like mine :frown:

But there is no realistic threat. If you want to convince yourself there is, then go ahead. DRAMA.

but there is a threat to some degree -.-
Reply 33
Original post by cbreef
You seem very paranoid by this. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that anything will materialise from this. It's just a bolstering statement. NATO is drawing the line.

not paranoid, just worried which is understandable especially if you have family/friends in the military who will be sent to defend us
NATO has, rather belatedly really, come to understand that Russian conventional forces could storm throw the Baltic nations (Estonia, Lithuania & Latvia) within days, if not hours. If Russia actually seized those nations, getting them back would be almost impossible due to the threat of nuclear war; you can guarantee Putin would threaten to unleash the weapon systems in Kaliningrad on European cities if NATO attempted to retake these countries.

http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR1253.html

Sending more NATO forces there is a deterrent to stop any kind of attempt the Russians might make both through the fact that they'd be more resistance & the aspect that they'd be engaging American, British & other prominent NATO members from the offset. European nations may be predisposed to want avoid conflict but if their forces come under attack then they'll respond. NATO unity is under threat but a Russian attack that directly attacks NATO personnel would almost certainly unite the alliance against Putin & the other ex-KGB gangster thugs currently in power in Moscow.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tempest II
NATO has, rather belatedly really, come to understand that Russian conventional forces could storm throw the Baltic nations (Estonia, Lithuania & Latvia) within days, if not hours.

Quite why they'd want to roll through is another matter.
Wars between super powers won't happen , nukes an all.
Great plan.They could pick a war with any country in the world but no it just has to be the one country with the ability to turn us all into so much radioactive ash doesn't it?
Original post by shawtyb
reckon something seriois will happen?
one article states its to 'prevent' conflict

I reckon something will.

I would call this intimidation not prevention.

I ****ing hate it.
Original post by Drewski
Quite why they'd want to roll through is another matter.

There's a range of reasons & scenarios which I'm sure those with more knowledge than me are privy to & have analysed.
But acts that the Russians have carried out in recent years such as the 2008 invasion of Georgia and annexing Crimea while conducting hybrid warfare in other areas of eastern Ukraine shows that they have the resolve to carry out military action. There's plenty of evidence to suggest a Russian SA-11 SAM (possibly even under the direct control of the 53rd Anti-Aircraft Rocket Brigade) annihilated MH17 over Ukraine.
The resumption of Russian airborne incursions against the UK & other NATO members along with a general increase in foreign activities on the whole, such as in Syria, and a sizeable increase in military spending (with a focus on weapon systems that directly interfere with Western tactics, strategies & systems including 5th generation stealth aircraft, hypersonic missiles, advanced air defences, T-14 MBTs & cyber warfare etc) certainly suggests Russia is flexing its muscles in a way not seen since the end of the Cold War.

It doesn't help that some Russians see the Baltic states as their's & that they should never have been given independence back in the 1990s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33325842

That said, I don't think Putin has the ideological intention to invade the Baltic states or even the rest of the Ukraine for that matter. However, there could be opportunities in the not-to-distant future where, Russia decides to intervene to "protect" ethnic Russians living in the Baltic states as it did with Ukraine. If there was a credible NATO presence then I highly doubt Putin would try any kind of overt military action but should there be no NATO presence, or a small one, then Russia may decide the risk is worthwhile.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending