The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

International business and a language at edinburgh

Hi everyone i was thinking about applying to edinburgh for international business with mandarin or french. Just wondering if anyone here has applied successfully before.
I have done these highers
English A
French A
Geography A
Music A
Chinese A

Now i am doing advanced french, chinese, and Higher business.
Just wondering do you think you need mathematics higher for getting in? Or advanced higher business?
Basically - do you think id get in with these subjects and I already have a pretty kick ass personal statement lol!
Thanks very much!!
Have you looked at uni entry requirements? They're usually on the website.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
I got accepted for entrance 2016.
My offer was 42 IB points.
I did maths sl and got a 6 (think you need 5 as a minimum). Therefore, you need maths at a certain level in ordet to be considered.
You fulfill the language requirements they ask for.
Hope this helps.
Reply 3
Original post by DKstudent
I got accepted for entrance 2016.
My offer was 42 IB points.
I did maths sl and got a 6 (think you need 5 as a minimum). Therefore, you need maths at a certain level in ordet to be considered.
You fulfill the language requirements they ask for.
Hope this helps.

How are you finding the course? I am considering going to Edinburgh to do International Business
Original post by finlay4
How are you finding the course? I am considering going to Edinburgh to do International Business

Finally I've found someone! I've been looking for ages and never found someone who wants to do my course anywhere XD
Reply 5
Original post by tictactao
Finally I've found someone! I've been looking for ages and never found someone who wants to do my course anywhere XD

Hahaha, I haven't found anyone other than you who wants to do it either!
Reply 6
I didn't end up accepting the offer. Thus, I won't be able to talk about the degree programme. Sorry.
Original post by finlay4
Hahaha, I haven't found anyone other than you who wants to do it either!

Where else are you applying? I'm really curious now XD I wonder why there's no one it's not a weird course like artificial intelligence or anything
Reply 8
Where else are you applying? I'm really curious now XD I wonder why there's no one it's not a weird course like artificial intelligence or anything

I am applying for UCAS next year, but I plan to apply for Scottish universities as I am Scottish myself and I don't feel like paying 9 grand a year at an English one so. But I plan to apply for Edinburgh, Glasgow Strathclyde, Dundee, Heriot- Watt and Robert Gordon. What ones are you applying to? Ye it is quite weird, I am not sure if it's a new course either so I am not entirely sure why it's not popular
Original post by finlay4
I am applying for UCAS next year, but I plan to apply for Scottish universities as I am Scottish myself and I don't feel like paying 9 grand a year at an English one so. But I plan to apply for Edinburgh, Glasgow Strathclyde, Dundee, Heriot- Watt and Robert Gordon. What ones are you applying to? Ye it is quite weird, I am not sure if it's a new course either so I am not entirely sure why it's not popular

Ah okay yeah Edinburgh is my only scottish university but as I am an EU national I get the same benefits as you as scottish citizen does which is quite nice. But yeah I've applied for Warwick, King's College, Manchester and SOAS. The course isn't actually that new and when i went to the open day the lecture hall which could fit maybe 100/150 people was pretty full and there were 3 versions of that same talk so who knows. Maybe they all wanted business management instead of international business. But even so I haven't seen many business management people around either.
Reply 10
Ah okay yeah Edinburgh is my only scottish university but as I am an EU national I get the same benefits as you as scottish citizen does which is quite nice. But yeah I've applied for Warwick, King's College, Manchester and SOAS. The course isn't actually that new and when i went to the open day the lecture hall which could fit maybe 100/150 people was pretty full and there were 3 versions of that same talk so who knows. Maybe they all wanted business management instead of international business. But even so I haven't seen many business management people around either.

Bit odd, yea I've heard business being quite a popularity degree but I don't know anyone at my school who is interested in studying it. My teacher didn't even know international business was a course lol
Original post by finlay4
Bit odd, yea I've heard business being quite a popularity degree but I don't know anyone at my school who is interested in studying it. My teacher didn't even know international business was a course lol

Yeah almost everyone in my economics class wants to do either economics or business but no one wants to do anything international. a lot of people are actually quite afraid of year abroad oddly enough.

I remember a talk I went to at the Durham open day back when I was considering to go there and they basically said barely anyone does year abroad it's like 5-10% max which is really odd I was expecting more.
Reply 12
Yeah almost everyone in my economics class wants to do either economics or business but no one wants to do anything international. a lot of people are actually quite afraid of year abroad oddly enough.

I remember a talk I went to at the Durham open day back when I was considering to go there and they basically said barely anyone does year abroad it's like 5-10% max which is really odd I was expecting more.

Lmao the main reason I want to do this course is for the year abroad and I find business fairly interesting. Economics isn't for me, too much maths and I despise maths, hope there isn't too much in the course
Original post by finlay4
Lmao the main reason I want to do this course is for the year abroad and I find business fairly interesting. Economics isn't for me, too much maths and I despise maths, hope there isn't too much in the course

OMG I totally agree! I like Economics A Level but I really couldn't do just that for 3/4 years and there is way too much maths. I just got my first offer from Warwick on Monday!
Reply 14
OMG I totally agree! I like Economics A Level but I really couldn't do just that for 3/4 years and there is way too much maths. I just got my first offer from Warwick on Monday!

Nice grats 😁😁 yeah I hate maths, I prefer the theory side to business like managerial theories etc., ive looked at all the partner universities you can go so many places for your year abroad it's amazing
Original post by finlay4
Nice grats 😁😁 yeah I hate maths, I prefer the theory side to business like managerial theories etc., ive looked at all the partner universities you can go so many places for your year abroad it's amazing

I know I am so excited I'm planning on going to Asia, probably Seoul National University and I really can't wait even though it's quite far away!
Reply 16
I know I am so excited I'm planning on going to Asia, probably Seoul National University and I really can't wait even though it's quite far away!

I am thinking Asia as well, Singapore or Japan. But no joke, I'll go anywhere I don't mind at all. I am so excited as well hahaha, it is so long but it's so exciting I don't know why people wouldn't want to go away, it's a dream
Original post by finlay4
I am thinking Asia as well, Singapore or Japan. But no joke, I'll go anywhere I don't mind at all. I am so excited as well hahaha, it is so long but it's so exciting I don't know why people wouldn't want to go away, it's a dream

Right? But so few people do want to go which I think is crazy. I mean it's the closest thing you can get to a year out during your course as all you have to do is pass the year and you get to experience a totally new country for a year who wouldn't want to do that
Reply 18
Right? But so few people do want to go which I think is crazy. I mean it's the closest thing you can get to a year out during your course as all you have to do is pass the year and you get to experience a totally new country for a year who wouldn't want to do that

Yeah and with International Business, at some universities it's actually compulsory whereas for some courses going abroad can be quite competitive but you are kinda guaranteed a spot with this course. Did you do A-level Business btw?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending