The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
I completed mine on Monday and the test timed out before the count down timer at the top of the screen?! Really annoyed at this :I I just emailed Fast Stream about it.

Anyone had the same problem?
Original post by Fizzyx
I completed mine on Monday and the test timed out before the count down timer at the top of the screen?! Really annoyed at this :I I just emailed Fast Stream about it.

Anyone had the same problem?

It's a common issue that pretty much dominated the last few pages lol. Just email them and send a screen shot of the error page and they should be able to reset it for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I keep checking my inbox for my eTray to arrive. I know I have passed and that I am through...looks like the guys with errors on their first attempt are being dealt with before my group of entrants. Which is understandable, but I just have a sneaky feeling that my assessment time will come when I am swamped with assignments in work lol :ahee:
Reply 683
Could somebody explain to me how the e tray test works please? I've never sat one before
Original post by Kirssst
Could somebody explain to me how the e tray test works please? I've never sat one before

So basically, you'll be given some background as to your role. You're essentially a fast streamer in an area of government and it explains your positions and duties. Then you'll be given some background information which goes into much more detail. My advice is to speed read through this and keep tabs on where important info is since you can return to it; there's no use trying to memorise. Try and spend 15-20 minutes on this part. Then you're given 24 questions in the form of emails where you reply using the "most" and "least" likely responses, similar to the E-Tray. When needed refer back to the background info as well as who is emailing this to you as it'll give you hints as to what sort of tone to use (since some answers are exactly the same, just worded differently) and what information is needed in terms of facts and figures. The background reading and email answering takes 80 minutes altogether. I found spending 20 minutes reading and 2.5 minutes per question to be best. Don't guess answers of you run out of time since it'd only damage your score. I'm sure you'll be fine, good luck!
Original post by Caravan_Palace
So basically, you'll be given some background as to your role. You're essentially a fast streamer in an area of government and it explains your positions and duties. Then you'll be given some background information which goes into much more detail. My advice is to speed read through this and keep tabs on where important info is since you can return to it; there's no use trying to memorise. Try and spend 15-20 minutes on this part. Then you're given 24 questions in the form of emails where you reply using the "most" and "least" likely responses, similar to the E-Tray. When needed refer back to the background info as well as who is emailing this to you as it'll give you hints as to what sort of tone to use (since some answers are exactly the same, just worded differently) and what information is needed in terms of facts and figures. The background reading and email answering takes 80 minutes altogether. I found spending 20 minutes reading and 2.5 minutes per question to be best. Don't guess answers of you run out of time since it'd only damage your score. I'm sure you'll be fine, good luck!

I gussed the 23rd answer and left the 24th blank. Realised I should of just left them both blank after. Hopefully it won't damage my score too much given it was only one question. Silly of me really! Never know i may have got lucky with one of the correct options which will hopefuly cancel out the other incorrect one i no doubt guessed wrong. Heres hoping!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gingerwizard
I gussed the 23rd answer and left the 24th blank. Realised I should of just left them both blank after. Hopefully it won't damage my score too much given it was only one question. Silly of me really! Never know i may have got lucky with one of the correct options which will hopefuly cancel out the other incorrect one i no doubt guessed wrong. Heres hoping!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I don't think guessing one would hurt you to be honest. It's more like they're only at 17/24 and decide to guess the rest.
Reply 687

Thanks very much. Appreciate that!
Yeah, I don't think guessing one would hurt you to be honest. It's more like they're only at 17/24 and decide to guess the rest.

Hopefully!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have until 6:06am tomorrow to complete the e-tray, so doing it later this afternoon, wish me luck!
Reply 690
Hi guys, is it true that results from the E-tray will come out mid-November?
I did mine on the 22nd and the wait is so painful already :biggrin:
I have never ever checked my e-mail so often in the day!
Thanks!
xx
Original post by LONazar
Thanks!
xx

Yeah, it can take 2 weeks until you hear something back. Bare in mind though that there are still some people who still haven't heard back from the SJT so I'd give it three weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LONazar
Thanks!
xx

Website says this:

When can I expect my e-tray results?

You can expect your e-tray results by the middle of November. If you’re successful, you’ll unlock the next section (video interview).
(edited 7 years ago)
A bit behind most of you but just submitted my initial tests a few minutes ago and it immediately says I've been rejected on the login page. That seems very soon to get a response. If this is the case it would be great to hear some feedback from them as to why... it's a bit of a confidence blow.

I also applied unsuccessfully last year and definitely didn't hear anything until several weeks later.

Has this happened to anyone else? Will I get an email confirming I've been unsuccessful? Can I hold a glimmer of hope that this isn't a rejection yet?

Or just cut my losses and move onto plan B? :frown:
Hi All,

I'm through to the e-tray exercise. I got my response immediately after completing the previous tests! Just wondering if I need a calculator for the e-tray exercise and how much data/maths I'm going to have to deal with?
Finally did the e-tray this afternoon, but the test timed out 11 seconds before the timer did, and I was just about to give the final answer on the 24th email. Not too happy about that but no way am I doing that again.

The rest of it went ok, just a LOT of info to digest!
Anyone who had problems first time sat the e-tray again yet?
Reply 697
Hello everyone!

Thanks so much for this thread, very helpful. I'm late with applying because I only finished my MA a week ago and will start my application this weekend! I see that people have recommended applying to many streams at the same time and I have identified 7 I would be interested in, but I have a few questions:

- If I do apply to all 7, do I have to go through 7 different video interviews? If not, what will be different (if anything) in the application process between applying to 1 stream and to 7 streams?

- For the European stream, it says that "you need an A-level C grade or above in any EU state member language other than English or pass a professional language test". Will that definitely include ALL of European languages? I seemed to remember reading that it has to be one of the 'main' European languages like French or German. I am fluent in Greek because I was born and raised in Greece, so would that count?

Thank you and good luck to everyone!
Do you know if it's possible to get our scores for the online tests if we didn't make it through? Has anyone contacted Parity and managed to get them?
Original post by Emmak7
Hello everyone!

Thanks so much for this thread, very helpful. I'm late with applying because I only finished my MA a week ago and will start my application this weekend! I see that people have recommended applying to many streams at the same time and I have identified 7 I would be interested in, but I have a few questions:

- If I do apply to all 7, do I have to go through 7 different video interviews? If not, what will be different (if anything) in the application process between applying to 1 stream and to 7 streams?

- For the European stream, it says that "you need an A-level C grade or above in any EU state member language other than English or pass a professional language test". Will that definitely include ALL of European languages? I seemed to remember reading that it has to be one of the 'main' European languages like French or German. I am fluent in Greek because I was born and raised in Greece, so would that count?

Thank you and good luck to everyone!

No, it's one video interview. I assume that the interview only really becomes specified in the AC and final selection (unless you're applying to the generalist and another scheme I cant remember the name of).

And yes, it's any of the official languages of the EU. If you're fluent, then you can prove it and wouldn't need the A Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending