The Student Room Group

Leicester A199 Medicine with a foundation year

Has anyone else applied to leicester's A199 course? It's a medicine with a foundation year course (6 years) and it's widening participation... I've applied and there are 20 places on the course; anyone else applied?
Me! Really hoping there aren't many of us, not sure how popular it is :/
Original post by Charlottexox

No one is. It's the first year it's running.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

Hope we both get in!! Good luck to you! What are your stats??
Reply 4
Original post by ForestCat
No one is. It's the first year it's running.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I take it you've applied too??
Original post by d010534
Can I take it you've applied too??

No. I'm already at Leicester, I'm in my third year of the GEM course.
Reply 6
Original post by ForestCat
No. I'm already at Leicester, I'm in my third year of the GEM course.

Oh really?!! Whoa! So you've got a year to go?? How's medical school like at Leicester?? I went on the open day and I really really liked it!
Original post by d010534
Oh really?!! Whoa! So you've got a year to go?? How's medical school like at Leicester?? I went on the open day and I really really liked it!

Well its pretty much 2 years, but yeah.

Its hard to compare Leicester as I have only been to the one medical school. And I'm a grad so I'm a bit old and cynical. Like every med school/university there are some niggles but its generally a good course. I haven't used the new building much but it looks quite nice.
Good luck to you too!! And I've got AAB prediction (hence why I didn't apply to the main 5 year course), 2010 in UKCAT, 6A*'s 3A's and the normal volunteering etc.etc and live in a disadvantaged area apparently which worked pretty well for me 😃 wbu?
Reply 9
Good luck to you too!! And I've got AAB prediction (hence why I didn't apply to the main 5 year course), 2010 in UKCAT, 6A*'s 3A's and the normal volunteering etc.etc and live in a disadvantaged area apparently which worked pretty well for me 😃 wbu?

Prediction: A*A*A*
GCSEs: 2A*s, 6As, 2Bs (but i went to a school which was below national average)
Bit of work experience and some volunteering to start in a few weeks time :o:
UKCAT: 2050

Live in a **** area too :tongue: and low income so not too bad, eh? :colondollar::colondollar: Good luck to the both of us, and I hope we get in! Btw, did you go to an open day recently?? I went to one in July and there was no mention of the foundation year, so if you went to a recent one, do you know if they mentioned it there? It would be good to have an idea of the sort of competition there is ygm
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by d010534
Prediction: A*A*A*
GCSEs: 2A*s, 6As, 2Bs (but i went to a school which was below national average)
Bit of work experience and some volunteering to start in a few weeks time :o:
UKCAT: 2050

Live in a **** area too :tongue: and low income so not too bad, eh? :colondollar::colondollar: Good luck to the both of us, and I hope we get in! Btw, did you go to an open day recently?? I went to one in July and there was no mention of the foundation year, so if you went to a recent one, do you know if they mentioned it there? It would be good to have an idea of the sort of competition there is ygm

Its the first year, so you can't really gauge the competition. This thread was the first I heard of it, and I go there, so i don't think its been hugely publicised so that might reduce the numbers who apply.
woah, you have me beat with predictions and UKCAT 😂 my teachers are so damn stubborn, and they won't allow any A* predictions because they don't know what an A* looks like!! and yeah, good luck to you too, would be really cool to meet you on the actual course considering how much we're discussing it now 😂😂 and I haven't managed to go to any open days, it was a real spur of the moment application because I hadn't actually found it before n it seemed like a great opportunity :smile:)
Reply 12
woah, you have me beat with predictions and UKCAT 😂 my teachers are so damn stubborn, and they won't allow any A* predictions because they don't know what an A* looks like!! and yeah, good luck to you too, would be really cool to meet you on the actual course considering how much we're discussing it now 😂😂 and I haven't managed to go to any open days, it was a real spur of the moment application because I hadn't actually found it before n it seemed like a great opportunity :smile:)

But you beat me with GCSEs!! Well done! Most universities look at them more than predictions tbh :tongue: Leicester scores you on them too so you're better than me because 4A*s outweigh 40 points at UKCAT dw girl you're doing really well already!

Ikr!! I hope no one else knows about it so they just accept both of us hehe.

Where else have you applied?
Original post by d010534
But you beat me with GCSEs!! Well done! Most universities look at them more than predictions tbh Leicester scores you on them too so you're better than me because 4A*s outweigh 40 points at UKCAT dw girl you're doing really well already!Ikr!! I hope no one else knows about it so they just accept both of us hehe.Where else have you applied?
Aw thank you 😊😊 And that would be so funny 😂 I've applied at Keele and Nottingham (the normal and foundation course) bc they seem to be the only ones that don't care as much about predictions, so I didn't wanna waste time by applying to places like Birmingham or Sheffield :/ wbu??😊😊
Reply 14
Aw thank you 😊😊 And that would be so funny 😂 I've applied at Keele and Nottingham (the normal and foundation course) bc they seem to be the only ones that don't care as much about predictions, so I didn't wanna waste time by applying to places like Birmingham or Sheffield :/ wbu??😊😊

Oooh! I was going to apply to Nottingham but they look at GCSEs and PS and both mine aren't good enough (I meet the minimum requirement but competition is intense lmao) and I don't meet the criteria for the foundation year D:

I applied to ones that don't really look at GCSEs like Southampton, Sheffield, and hopefully, SGUL... Hopefully... I don't know much about SGUL :/
I applied to Bradford's foundation in clinical sciences too! But I really want to go to Leicester!
only for East Midlands
Original post by d010534
Oooh! I was going to apply to Nottingham but they look at GCSEs and PS and both mine aren't good enough (I meet the minimum requirement but competition is intense lmao) and I don't meet the criteria for the foundation year D: I applied to ones that don't really look at GCSEs like Southampton, Sheffield, and hopefully, SGUL... Hopefully... I don't know much about SGUL :/ I applied to Bradford's foundation in clinical sciences too! But I really want to go to Leicester!
Ooooh nice uni choices! I quite liked Sheffield too but they looked at predicted grades so didn't want to waste my time :/ but anyway, good luck!! I really hope you get to where you want to be 😊😊
Reply 17
Ooooh nice uni choices! I quite liked Sheffield too but they looked at predicted grades so didn't want to waste my time :/ but anyway, good luck!! I really hope you get to where you want to be 😊😊

Omg same here!! I hope you do too! (personally I want to go to Leicester hehe) Good luck sweetheart xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending