The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Korean and Japanese Studies or Japanese and Korean Studies?

So I went to the open day at SOAS on Saturday and I just have a couple questions that I forgot to ask during the open day.

BA Korean and Japanese Studies or BA Japanese and Korean Studies?

I literally cannot decide which one I should apply for. I'm very passionate and interested in both countries but I cannot decide which one I should go for. Do I go for BA Korean and Japanese, and go for a year abroad in Korea or do I go for the other? I've been interested in Japanese culture for over 5 years and Korean culture for 3 years. Korean is easier for me to learn and I'm currently self teaching it to myself. Japanese is more difficult for me to learn, but I'm extremely passionate about their modern culture and underground, street and alternative fashion scene. I've been dressing goth and visual kei for years and I am going to go into the shironuri fashion soon. (I'm currently an art student at college so unique and crazy to the norm fashion plays a big part in my life). I feel like my love for fashion is pushing me towards BA Japanese and Korean Srudies. Would you say that I should go for that course?

Also what is the difference between the combined BA Korean and Japanese course against the combined BA Korean/Japanese and Korean/Japanese studies course? UCAS showed that there is a BA Korean and Japanese combined course however at the university they only talked about the language courses being combined with a studies course. It's left me a bit confused.
Reply 1
Original post by Taelor_Lee
So I went to the open day at SOAS on Saturday...

I was at the open day and also went to both the course intro and the Q&A!

I think it depends in which language you want to be more proficient; you'll spend a year in the country of your major subject so should be more proficient in that language. One of the lecturers did mention during the Q&A that those doing Japanese and Korean studies could spend some time (was it a semester?) in Korea; it doesn't seem that this is a possibility when doing Korean and Japanese Studies.

You're right that they only talked about the language course being combined with a studies course despite UCAS showing something else. My only guess is that this is reserved for those who are so advanced in a language that they would have been able to skip the first year entirely if doing a single honours language course. That's just me guessing though so I'd email one of the lecturers to find out.

Ultimately, I think you're fairly certain about which course you want to take judging by your post. Do what you want to do and don't let people here influence that! :smile:
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by Uruha
I was at the open day and also went to both the course intro and the Q&A!

I think it depends in which language you want to be more proficient; you'll spend a year in the country of your major subject so should be more proficient in that language. One of the lecturers did mention during the Q&A that those doing Japanese and Korean studies could spend some time (was it a semester?) in Korea; it doesn't seem that this is a possibility when doing Korean and Japanese Studies.

You're right that they only talked about the language course being combined with a studies course despite UCAS showing something else. My only guess is that this is reserved for those who are so advanced in a language that they would have been able to skip the first year entirely if doing a single honours language course. That's just me guessing though so I'd email one of the lecturers to find out.

Ultimately, I think you're fairly certain about which course you want to take judging by your post. Do what you want to do and don't let people here influence that! :smile:

I get so nervous at places with such a big crowd and with my anxiety I lost the confidence to ask questions at the Q&A, but yes you're right. They mentioned that they offer about 5 weeks for a summer programme, something like that.

Now the more I think about it. You're right. I already know the answer to my question. No matter how long I think about it, I cannot miss the opportunity of spending a year in Japan and be closer to the fashion that I adore so much. I guess that artist side to me will never leave me haha
Reply 3
Original post by Taelor_Lee
I get so nervous at places with such a big crowd and with my anxiety I lost the confidence to ask questions at the Q&A, but yes you're right. They mentioned that they offer about 5 weeks for a summer programme, something like that.

Now the more I think about it. You're right. I already know the answer to my question. No matter how long I think about it, I cannot miss the opportunity of spending a year in Japan and be closer to the fashion that I adore so much. I guess that artist side to me will never leave me haha

Hope to see you there next year! I've done all sections of the UCAS application other than the dreaded personal statement :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending