The Student Room Group

Should I complain about a teacher who is awful at teaching and swears at students?

Scroll to see replies

Definitely!!
Original post by tory88
Schools tend to have similar management structures. The headmaster will speak with the head of department and then similar actions will be taken. The key distinction is that the head of department will feel under attack and as if he has to defend his department. Going to them discretely will avoid this issue.

Unless you have some reason not to trust the head of maths, he is the person to speak with. The most important thing is to voice your concerns to someone.

Hmm do you teach at one of those sixth form college places, I get the impression those places don't have any rules? Tbh I think the head teacher would be more likely to speak to the teacher directly rather than the head of department, but I could be wrong.
Original post by ___Sophie___
Yes exactly! He hasn't ever swore directly at me but if he did I would be having none of it! I'm not afraid to stand up to teachers

This is copied and pasted from something I just sent my lecturer. They asked me to meet them in their office today after I protested against a grade they gave me:

Spoiler

Original post by Caprice-1999
Definitely!!

Indeed
Reply 44
Get him sacked :colonhash: He's not worthy enough to be teaching you.
Original post by 0to100
This is copied and pasted from something I just sent my lecturer. They asked me to meet them in their office today after I protested against a grade they gave me:

Spoiler

Hahaha indeed just tell it like it is!
Original post by OGGUS
Get him sacked :colonhash: He's not worthy enough to be teaching you.

Hmm don't know if I want to go that far, I'd feel awful although he shouldn't be getting away with it!
Hmm don't know if I want to go that far, I'd feel awful although he shouldn't be getting away with it!

My secondary school actually got a teacher fired for bullying a student because he wasn't too good at maths. You should tell the headteacher if other students also feel the same.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 48
Hmm do you teach at one of those sixth form college places, I get the impression those places don't have any rules? Tbh I think the head teacher would be more likely to speak to the teacher directly rather than the head of department, but I could be wrong.

I teach at a grammar school with a fairly old fashioned approach to discipline. Teachers tend to close ranks if they feel under attack, and involving the headmaster will do that. Unless your school is particularly small the headmaster will not have the time to deal with this directly.

I have dealt with complaints against members of staff before, both justified and unjustified. The head of department would be the correct prson to complain to professionally.
Hahaha indeed just tell it like it is!

Do you think what I said the lecturer did (they did do all that by the way) is worthy of me wanting to transfer out or telling them off about it? I was considering dropping the course because I couldn't even look at her tbh.

And they're lucky they're a lecturer because 1st off if I had spoken that way to staff they'd try to kick me out the course or fail me out of revenge or report me lol and this has happened before that "higher ups" and I have argued and they've proceeded to sabotage my grades for it, not that I was having that either. My mates and partner told me to move on with it and just get my degree but I refused to come to lectures for a whole week, I was livid.

And secondly...you should have heard the way she was talking during the presentation, it was so unreasonable and unprofessional how she carried on, seriously. I would never let anyone else speak to me like that and I'm honestly sick of faculty thinking they can talk to people any kind of way they want :colonhash:
I once had a d**k head Tech teacher who called my friend "A waste of space" on two occasions. My friend reported him the first time he did it and one of the support teachers had a word with him and then he did it again to my friend months later. Definitely report him, teachers shouldn't be doing this stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes report him, I wish I reported some of my teachers, they were absolute pricks.
Original post by 0to100
Do you think what I said the lecturer did (they did do all that by the way) is worthy of me wanting to transfer out or telling them off about it? I was considering dropping the course because I couldn't even look at her tbh.

And they're lucky they're a lecturer because 1st off if I had spoken that way to staff they'd try to kick me out the course or fail me out of revenge or report me lol and this has happened before that "higher ups" and I have argued and they've proceeded to sabotage my grades for it, not that I was having that either. My mates and partner told me to move on with it and just get my degree but I refused to come to lectures for a whole week, I was livid.

And secondly...you should have heard the way she was talking during the presentation, it was so unreasonable and unprofessional how she carried on, seriously. I would never let anyone else speak to me like that and I'm honestly sick of faculty thinking they can talk to people any kind of way they want :colonhash:

Don't worry you definitely had the right to talk to her like that!
Unfortunately seems like uni lectures can get away with anything
Original post by RossB1702
I once had a d**k head Tech teacher who called my friend "A waste of space" on two occasions. My friend reported him the first time he did it and one of the support teachers had a word with him and then he did it again to my friend months later. Definitely report him, teachers shouldn't be doing this stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah exactly
Original post by NotNotBatman
Yes report him, I wish I reported some of my teachers, they were absolute pricks.

Yeah unfortunately more often than not no action is taken
Yeah, cheers for the advice. I wouldn't want to get him fired or anything ...

To be honest, by the sound of it he probably needs firing.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
To be honest, by the sound of it he probably needs firing.

Yeah mabye but it's pretty rare for that to happen, he's not the absolute worse but he is pretty awful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending