The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Catering

Hi, I'm considering applying to study history 2017, I loved the open day but my concern and issue is catering.
I have aspergers and cannot cook , it sounds silly but it's a major issue and as far as I can tell it's all self catering, I will have to reconsider my choice if this cannot be resolved.
Any information would greatly appreciated.
Original post by oohnewshoes
Hi, I'm considering applying to study history 2017, I loved the open day but my concern and issue is catering.
I have aspergers and cannot cook , it sounds silly but it's a major issue and as far as I can tell it's all self catering, I will have to reconsider my choice if this cannot be resolved.

Whilst the halls themselves are self-catering, there are food outlets on campus... I think you can get some kind of meal deal plan which if you're eating in The Campus Kitchen saves you a bit of money...!
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by mobbsy91
Whilst the halls themselves are self-catering, there are food outlets on campus... I think you can get some kind of meal deal plan which if you're eating in The Campus Kitchen saves you a bit of money...!

Thanks, I did email to ask this but as yet no reply.
Reply 3

All the accommodation is self catering but as stated above there are plenty of places to eat on campus. There are a shop and a couple of cafes to get something smaller for lunch and the campus kitchen and the into building will be open for tea time.

There are also a small tesco and coop nearby to give you more options, and many takeaways that will deliver to campus.

Lastly sometimes your flatmates may cook a big group meal, if you explain you're rubbish at cooking but offer to wash/tidy up instead or similar you could join in with those too.

I'd also mention that uni is a very good time to start to develop some basic cooking skills which will be invaluable after graduation. I'm not talking becoming a culinary genius here, but there are many simple things with just a couple of steps, and ones which can use the microwave. You could ask someone to show you a few before you go, or ask a flatmate to help depending on which is more comfortable for you. You might like to ask on here giving the specific issues you have that make it harder for you and some others who've struggled may come up with some suggestions.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by kpwxx
All the accommodation is self catering but as stated above there are plenty of places to eat on campus. There are a shop and a couple of cafes to get something smaller for lunch and the campus kitchen and the into building will be open for tea time.

There are also a small tesco and coop nearby to give you more options, and many takeaways that will deliver to campus.

Lastly sometimes your flatmates may cook a big group meal, if you explain you're rubbish at cooking but offer to wash/tidy up instead or similar you could join in with those too.

I'd also mention that uni is a very good time to start to develop some basic cooking skills which will be invaluable after graduation. I'm not talking becoming a culinary genius here, but there are many simple things with just a couple of steps, and ones which can use the microwave. You could ask someone to show you a few before you go, or ask a flatmate to help depending on which is more comfortable for you. You might like to ask on here giving the specific issues you have that make it harder for you and some others who've struggled may come up with some suggestions.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks...it's something I may indeed have to consider.
Thanks, I did email to ask this but as yet no reply.

Hi, where did you email? If you have a disability you can get some help from the Student Support Services team. They might be best placed to help :smile:
Reply 6
Hi, I'm going to call today, it may be easier on the phone, but thank you.

As others have said, uni is a good time to get comfortable with cooking if possible as its such a vital life skill and will save money- catered halls at other unis are always far more expensive than self catered and eating out adds up. Being dyspraxic I understand how challenging cooking can be- I struggle to cook meals involving lots of steps and preparation like spaghetti bolognese and I'm terrible at peeling or chopping. However at uni I discovered Tesco (and Waitrose) do an easy cook range- meat/fish comes prepared with sauce you just put it in the oven or fry it- there are exact instructions on the packet. Then either pre prepared mash/potatoes with exact instructions on or microwaving a jacket potato or chips (again they come with exact instructions on the packet). It isn't quite as cheap as buying from scratch but still far more cost effective than takeaway/eat out. And obviously if you can cook from scratch even better. But practice at home first if you can.
Reply 8
Original post by jelly1000
As others have said, uni is a good time to get comfortable with cooking if possible as its such a vital life skill and will save money- catered halls at other unis are always far more expensive than self catered and eating out adds up. Being dyspraxic I understand how challenging cooking can be- I struggle to cook meals involving lots of steps and preparation like spaghetti bolognese and I'm terrible at peeling or chopping. However at uni I discovered Tesco (and Waitrose) do an easy cook range- meat/fish comes prepared with sauce you just put it in the oven or fry it- there are exact instructions on the packet. Then either pre prepared mash/potatoes with exact instructions on or microwaving a jacket potato or chips (again they come with exact instructions on the packet). It isn't quite as cheap as buying from scratch but still far more cost effective than takeaway/eat out. And obviously if you can cook from scratch even better. But practice at home first if you can.

I think if I decide to apply I will have to learn some basic meals, it isn't an area I'm comfortable with which is why ive been hoping for other options.
I'm open to trying but it's worrying me TBH.
I'm not keen on takeouts either but I have some time to practice......thank you.
I think if I decide to apply I will have to learn some basic meals, it isn't an area I'm comfortable with which is why ive been hoping for other options.
I'm not keen on takeouts either but I have some time to practice......thank you.

Start small at home if you can- if you can help parents then take small steps like observing them cook, switching the oven on, putting something in the oven and build yourself up. Remember at almost all unis bar Oxbridge its normal after first year to move out into a houseshare where there is no catered option. So not being able to cook would limit your options beyond first year and post uni.-
Reply 10

In addition to the second year onwards thing jelly mentioned, UEA is also a really great place (I may be a bit biased...) with a wonderful atmosphere, so if you like it there that is a big positive which could outweigh the negative of having to cook a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Deliveroo is also worth a punt when you want to treat yourself, they deliver to campus!
Reply 12
Cheers, guys. It's in my top 2, I'm just balancing up my list.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending