The Student Room Group

Politics Applicants 2017

I couldn't see a thread for us so I thought I'd start one off - I know it's quite early, but I can see from the general university applicants thread that quite a few people have sent off their applications already!).

Options: Sheffield (AAB); Loughborough (ABB); De Montfort (BBB); Leicester (BBB); Lincoln (CCC)
GCSE grades: 3 As, 5 Bs, 3 Cs
AS grades: AAA in Creative Writing, Government and Politics, and Sociology
A2 predicted grades: I haven't been told them, but I'm self-predicting AAA considering how well I did last year :smile:
Why Politics?: It can be really frustrating to study as it changes so much (especially since the 23rd June :laugh:), but I find it fascinating. I'm particularly interested in European politics (especially Scandinavia) - but really, there's not an aspect I find boring!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hola!

Options: LSE (AAA), UCL (A*AA), KCL (AAB), St Andrews (AAA), Edinburgh (ABB)
GCSE grades: 10 A*s
AS Grades: AAAA in German, Spanish, Politics and History
Predicted Grades: A*A*A*
Why Politics? Likewise I find it really interesting and relevant a subject. I plan to study it with languages which I feel works well as a combination in such a globalised world.
Reply 2
Original post by rolaah
Hola!

Options: LSE (AAA), UCL (A*AA), KCL (AAB), St Andrews (AAA), Edinburgh (ABB)
GCSE grades: 10 A*s
AS Grades: AAAA in German, Spanish, Politics and History
Predicted Grades: A*A*A*
Why Politics? Likewise I find it really interesting and relevant a subject. I plan to study it with languages which I feel works well as a combination in such a globalised world.

What UCL degree offers politics? & what Kings degree offers politics for AAB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone got an offer yet?
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
Anyone got an offer yet?

Got one from Birmingham yesterday

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haven't found anyone else - would be interesting to see when/if people have been getting offers to which universities and when.
Options: Exeter (AAA), Bristol (AAA), Lancaster (AAB), QMUL (ABB), Sussex (AAB-ABB)
GCSES: 8 As 2 Bs
Didn't take any AS Exams
Predicted A* A B (History, English Literature & French)
Had offers from QMUL, Lancaster, Sussex and Bristol (all ABB)

Why politics? Especially considering Brexit and the political turbulence we are enduring at the minute, Politics is key to having a real understanding of the world and it is something I've always found interesting. I shadowed my local MP and went to Sunday Politics with her. I hope to go to Exeter or Bristol with Lancaster as my probable insurance choice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by phillies21
Haven't found anyone else - would be interesting to see when/if people have been getting offers to which universities and when.

FINALLY! Everyone I've find is either doing or the other or doing PPE. Where are you applying and what subjects do you do now?
Reply 8
Hi!, I do politics, philosophy and economics at a-level. Ive applied to durham, edinburgh, exeter, bristol, Leeds. What about you?

All three? Wow that's crazy. You must've known what you wanted to do before you chose them. I do Politics, Latin, French and I did AS maths. I'm applying to Exeter, Bristol/Sheffield, Sussex, Lancaster and Newcastle
Reply 9
Hi!, I do politics, philosophy and economics at a-level. Ive applied to durham, edinburgh, exeter, bristol, Leeds. What about you?

Also have you got offers?
Reply 10
No offers yet...only applied for philosophy &politics no PPE or anything. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haven't sent it off yet. It's coming along though. It's so scary though BC so many are getting offers
I'm applying for Politics and Philosophy too!

Taking Religious Studies (which is just Philosophy & Ethics), Politics, English Literature, and I took AS Maths.

Applying to Durham, Bristol, Exeter, LSE and Manchester (although I'm hoping to change to St. Andrews before the school send my UCAS off :s-smilie:)

Original post by Tols
All three? Wow that's crazy. You must've known what you wanted to do before you chose them. I do Politics, Latin, French and I did AS maths. I'm applying to Exeter, Bristol/Sheffield, Sussex, Lancaster and Newcastle

How are both of your grades if you don't mind me asking? i just have no idea what to expect from other applicants, especially since we're applying to some of the same universities
Reply 13
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx
How are both of your grades if you don't mind me asking? i just have no idea what to expect from other applicants, especially since we're applying to some of the same universities

I got AAB in my AS' (Politics, Latin and French respectively) with predictions AAB. ((Retaking French)). How about you?

p.s I know people applying with ABB-A*A*A so its a range really
Reply 14
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx

Oh and GCSEs: 4A*s4As2Bs
Reply 15
GCSe's : 2a* 3a 4b
AS: AA + A* EPQ (one Linear A level)
A2 predictions: A*A*A*

What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg ur insane. Look out for those unconditionals
GCSe's : 2a* 3a 4b
AS: AA + A* EPQ (one Linear A level)
A2 predictions: A*A*A*

What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Tols
I got AAB in my AS' (Politics, Latin and French respectively) with predictions AAB. ((Retaking French)). How about you?

p.s I know people applying with ABB-A*A*A so its a range really

Original post by Tols
Oh and GCSEs: 4A*s4As2Bs

Nice one guys!
AS: AAABC (even more extenuating circumstances...)
Predictions: A*A*A (A*s in Religious Studies and Politics, A in English)
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

Options are Warwick (AAA), Bath (AAA), Exeter (AAA), Cardiff (AAB) and Birmingham (ABB).
GCSEs are 4A*s 4As and 3Bs
Predicted A*A*A in Politics, History and Philosophy.

So far, I have had an offer from Cardiff and an unconditional from Birmingham.

Good luck everyone for your applications! :smile:
Hey ,
Options: Edinburgh ( ABB) , LSE( AAA) , Leeds (AAB) , York ( AAA) , Exeter (AAB)
GCSEs : 3A's, 1B , 6C's
Predicted : ABB in Media , Gov and Pol , English lit ( hoping to surpass for A*AA- I started a thread called "my journey to PPE" talking about this challenge)
Offers: conditional from Leeds ( AAB)

I'm going to be publishing all my A2 and AS politics stuff and advice/tips on how to get an A in politics on my thread "my journey to PPE " feel free to comment/check it out :smile:

Why politics? One of the most interesting and engaging courses that make you consider every aspect of life from the economic practicalities to the philosophical thoughts. Politics is a degree that evolves around everyone and impacts us socially, politically and economically
Options: LSE (AAA), Warwick (AAA), Exeter (AAA), Bath (AAA) and Nottingham (AAB)
GCSEs: 2 A*s, 7 A's, 3 B's
AS: AAA in Gov and Pol, Maths, and English Lit
A2 predicted: A*A*A in Gov and Pol, Maths and History

Defo my fav subject and I love how it's something that affects so many people today in a modern world. Good luck everyone! :smile:

Quick Reply