The Student Room Group

Why People are Obsessed with Tanning - Pale Skin a Curse?

I do not understand this obsession. Over exposure to sun damages your skin in so many ways yet still people choose to bake under sun. Pale skin looks perfectly alright to me, why do people think you look sick with pale skin and healthy with tan?

Scroll to see replies

I've seen plenty of hella pretty pale girls, I've never understood why people care
Why are some dark skin people bleaching?
To them pale skin is beauty.
It all goes down to one thing. Insecurity. :frown:
Original post by Warrior Gene
I do not understand this obsession. Over exposure to sun damages your skin in so many ways yet still people choose to bake under sun. Pale skin looks perfectly alright to me, why do people think you look sick with pale skin and healthy with tan?

I see your point about looking sick when pale vs healthy when tanned. That's odd.

But in general, I think because it just looks better? I love browner/darker skin. It's much more beautiful than milky skin.
Reply 4
Being pale is not necessarily a sign of health. People who don't go out in the sun usually suffer from vitamin D deficiency.

Some people look good pale, other's don't. It's all about what you look good with.

Also in the West getting a tan is a sign of wealth and that you are an extrovert, which is desirable.
Reply 5
Original post by ExoKris
Being pale is not necessarily a sign of health. People who don't go out in the sun usually suffer from vitamin D deficiency.

Some people look good pale, other's don't. It's all about what you look good with.

Also in the West getting a tan is a sign of wealth and that you are an extrovert, which is desirable.

How is getting a tan a sign of wealth? Aren't poor people who labour in the sun all day more likely to get tanned?
I like being tanned.
Original post by ToussJ
How is getting a tan a sign of wealth? Aren't poor people who labour in the sun all day more likely to get tanned?

The idea goes that most average folk work indoors nowadays, usually in offices. Working in the sun all day isn't much of a thing anymore, in most cases you're in an office or behind a shop counter or driving something. When you're a rich person, you can afford to go out on holidays and then get mad af tans. The "working out in the sun all day" theory is supposed to apply to the olden days where the rich people never went out to do anything, like <1700s I think.

I'm never really sure about any biological theories on attractiveness, science's alleged most beautiful face in Britain really doesn't do it for me at all:

Spoiler

Reply 8
i like having pale skin I think ti looks very refined. There's no need to bake in the sun, like you said it jsut ruins your skin and causes premature aging.
Most people still associate a healthy tan with vitality, good health and often wealth (good tan = good holidays). It's a cultural thing - obviously if you go back only 150 years a tan was considered a vulgar outdoor worker thing. If people want to cook themselves to a crisp lying in the sun, then that's up to them, I suppose.
The problem is...I'm even paler than many white girls... I'm an Asian, btw:biggrin:
Those harmful UV rays are attractive to people, clearly :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Ham22
i like having pale skin I think ti looks very refined. There's no need to bake in the sun, like you said it jsut ruins your skin and causes premature aging.
the implication being that dark skin is unrefined? GTFO. I'll agree that pale skin is aesthetically pleasing but when you start bringing in personality attributes, **** gets borderline racist.
Original post by Socratesfam
the implication being that dark skin is unrefined? GTFO. I'll agree that pale skin is aesthetically pleasing but when you start bringing in personality attributes, **** gets borderline racist.

Water is cheaper than lemonade, but that does not mean buying lemonade is economically unviable.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Water is cheaper than lemonade, but that does not mean buying lemonade is economically unviable.

You win the wackest and most cryptic analogy of 2016 award. Congrats bro!
Reply 15
The idea goes that most average folk work indoors nowadays, usually in offices. Working in the sun all day isn't much of a thing anymore, in most cases you're in an office or behind a shop counter or driving something. When you're a rich person, you can afford to go out on holidays and then get mad af tans. The "working out in the sun all day" theory is supposed to apply to the olden days where the rich people never went out to do anything, like <1700s I think.

I'm never really sure about any biological theories on attractiveness, science's alleged most beautiful face in Britain really doesn't do it for me at all:

Spoiler

Yeah, I've seen many prettier faces than that, though maybe it's because I prefer dark hair...
Original post by Socratesfam
You win the wackest and most cryptic analogy of 2016 award. Congrats bro!

The point was saying one thing is very refined doesn't necessarily implicate a different thing is totally awful.

Spoiler

Too pale skin often looks unattractive imo
The point was saying one thing is very refined doesn't necessarily implicate a different thing is totally awful.

Spoiler

"implicate," lol, where the **** did you learn grammar, son? And the clear implication is that darker skin is, by extension, unrefined. Do you not see how that's glaringly obvious?

Christ, I didn't think dumb INTPs existed but here we are....
Pale girls ftw.

Working in the sun all day isn't much of a thing anymore

Didn't realise we'd stopped building things.

Quick Reply

Latest