The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Jack
Hi everyone,

We've been working on the new TSR Search and you can find the latest Beta version here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search-beta/?q=PRSOM

As we're so close to launching it, we would love your feedback. Once you've given it a good try, please can you...

Fill in our Search Beta feedback survey

It will only take a minute and will help us improve the search for you before it is launched.

Feel free to discuss it further below, but please first complete the survey.

Thank you

:pirate3:

It's absolutely dreadful. Why does it not list posts by date? Why does it find threads rather than individual messages?: it means one has to read the whole thread to find the relevant message!

And why has the old search been disabled!?
This new search thingy is terrible, please give us the previous option (the advanced search directs us to the beta one))
Reply 62
What use is the "date created" filter? who cares when a thread was created?! You want to know when it was updated last. If I search for "John Major" I want to know who has recently been discussing him in relation to the 2016 Olympics, not the general election of 1997. The old search allowed for this. The new search is a huge step backwards. Can you please fix it so it at least delivers the same as the old version of search?
Reply 63
Really, please, you asked and we said we want to be able to find recently updated threads. Could you please restore the old version while you get the new one functioning properly? This one is worse than useless at present.
Agreed with all of the posts on this page alone. :hide:
Reply 65
I take it we're stuck with this version, then, are we? No revision, no reversion, no reply. I love how this feedback thing works. I'm assuming the aim of this version of search was specifically to remove the exact function we all use. Thanks then.
Revived! I posted this prematurely, the search is now live an ready for you all to trial. Please have a play around with it and then fill in the survey once you've used it a few times :smile: Feel free to say here what you think too. Your feedback is all most welcome!

Original post by longsight
The point about sorting is an interesting one - it's not there because it's not actually useful. The new search takes likely search relevance into account much more than the old one does, so it looks at how many search terms match, how old a thread is, how many posts it has, etc etc, and what we found conclusively when we were building it is that with all that in mind, actually sorting by date afterwards resulted in near useless results in every case. Most of the time, you just got spam threads, 0-post questions, rarely anything with more than one reply, and never anything you were looking for.

Sorting AND filtering together is a current technical limitation, and not one that's likely to change anytime soon, much as we might want it to. That's why the date filtering options were added, and those could well change, depending on your feedback!

I searched for articles on "law personal statements"

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Writing_a_Personal_Statement_for_Law was not in the results (which was the article I was looking for).
Original post by PQ
I searched for articles on "law personal statements"

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Writing_a_Personal_Statement_for_Law was not in the results (which was the article I was looking for).

Can you just revert back to the previous one? It was much better.
Related to PQ's point, I mentioned this on the feedback form (although very recently so not sure if it 'went through' or goes to someone's email or however it works.

Looked for 'Sainsbury's Thread MK IV'.

Looked up Sainbury's - some useful articles about applying there to work in a store etc, not the thread I wanted though.

Added thread. Similar results if I remember correctly, still no thread.

Added MK - proceeded to give me random threads with MK in them. Still no thread.

Added IV - still no thread.

:frown:
Hi everyone,

We've been working on the new TSR Search and you can find the latest Beta version here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search-beta/?q=PRSOM

As we're so close to launching it, we would love your feedback. Once you've given it a good try, please can you...

Fill in our Search Beta feedback survey

It will only take a minute and will help us improve the search for you before it is launched.

Feel free to discuss it further below, but please first complete the survey.

Thank you

:pirate3:

Is this a real consultation or a pseudo-consultation? Nearly everyone has slated the new search. But it's still there, and the old one has been disabled! The new search does not meet my needs. If it is not replaced, I will stop using TSR.

Gavin
Reply 70
When I get to the search results and, by some miracle, it has results that look like the ones I want, there doesn't seem to be any way to actually access them. Clicking on the search result takes me to the first post in the thread, which is rarely (so far never) the post I'm looking for. If there's a button I should click to actually reach the search results, it should be more obvious. If there isn't, I really don't know what to say!
Reply 71
For those of you bewildered by TSR's removal of recently updated posts from its search function - which, it is obvious to anyone except those who actually devised the new search, is catastrophic - you can search using Google until (if?) TSR realizes its mistake. If you want to search for, say, Colgate, go to Google, type "colgate" site:www.thestudentroom.co.uk. When the results come up in Google, go to Search Tools, choose Date, and select the range you want - 24 hours, one week, whatever you need. It's not perfect, nor as good as the old search, but better than nothing while they repeatedly ignore us.
Reply 72
Doesn't seem to work at all on the mobile site. If I filter it to just bring back discussions, it only shows two results.

Come on TSR, sort yourself out.

Edit - if I filter it in any way it only brings back two results.
(edited 7 years ago)
Looks like my pre 2014 posts, ie the bulk, have been erased from the search history, which is probably fortunate as my whole life is practically on here.

:angry:
Reply 76
Hate the new search function :c
this new search is ridiculously stupid, removing the few good things about the old search
Reply 78
The new search is unusable. Every time I've tried to use it, I just end up going to Google and trying there because I can't find the thread I want.

I just tried to search for this thread using the question posted in the thread - using that exact sentence. Does that thread come up? No, of course not, but I can get loads of results on Islam and Christianity.
I'm very confused as to why this search engine is still being used...

What happened to listening to the consumers?!?!

Latest

Trending

Trending