The Student Room Group

BM5 Southampton Medical Applicants 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neostigmine
No. You want to be a medical student. You're going to need to learn to do your own research. I gave you a link to the post with all the information you need.

Jeez calm down; they asked a question which is completely fine so no need to be snarky; wind your neck in. Plus seeing as your post is vague at best regarding when they give out interviews, you might want to get off your pedestal before dishing out unhelpful advice to others. This is a forum to support each other, not to tear each other down - making someone else look bad doesn't make you look better; another thing thats essential for a medic to know.

To the original poster; Southampton have set days for interviews rather than giving a broad 'oh we interview over a few weeks in X month'. This year these are;
Tue 31st Jan
Thur 2nd Feb
Tue 7th feb
Thur 9th feb

This is only for school leavers though; is slightly different if you're a mature student or a grad applying to the undergrad course. Based on this, we can assume they'll give you at least 2 weeks notice so we can probably say they won't give anything out till December, probably mid-December at that. Maybe look at last years forum to see when people started receiving them? But youve deffo got a while yet so don't stress :smile:
Original post by greenfeather
Jeez calm down; they asked a question which is completely fine so no need to be snarky; wind your neck in. Plus seeing as your post is vague at best regarding when they give out interviews, you might want to get off your pedestal before dishing out unhelpful advice to others. This is a forum to support each other, not to tear each other down - making someone else look bad doesn't make you look better; another thing thats essential for a medic to know.

Their answer to me linking them to the info was that they couldn't be bothered to scroll to the answer? :rofl:.

I spend a lot of time quizzing admissions staff, emailing staff, working at open days and interviews and getting info that would otherwise be unavailable to applicants and have done so for the last 5 years while also balancing my degree. I have then spent hours collaborating that into a single easy to find post. When people ask the same questions over and over when the answer is already available to them and even linked in a post, I think it is entirely reasonable not to need or want to spell it out specifically because they can't be bothered to scroll.

"Vague at best"?

When will I hear?
This varies year to year, but usually between December and March. You will get 2 weeks notice so your interview will be 2 weeks or more from when you receive your invitation.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicin...ay_dates.page?
Interview dates ^_^

"making someone else look bad doesn't make you look better;"

This works both ways.
Their answer to me linking them to the info was that they couldn't be bothered to scroll to the answer? :rofl:.

I spend a lot of time quizzing admissions staff, emailing staff, working at open days and interviews and getting info that would otherwise be unavailable to applicants and have done so for the last 5 years while also balancing my degree. I have then spent hours collaborating that into a single easy to find post. When people ask the same questions over and over when the answer is already available to them and even linked in a post, I think it is entirely reasonable not to need or want to spell it out specifically because they can't be bothered to scroll.

"Vague at best"?

This works both ways.

*applause*

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Vague at best"?

This works both ways.

Thank you for all the information you have provided I really found it useful for my son who has applied to Southampton foundation medicine BM6 .yes I saw you gave out a lot of information I managed to check it and I'm a computer adequate not so great my son gets frustrated with me.Lets all be helpful to each other.
Did anyone here get an A in AQA AS Chemistry (new spec)
Original post by S1966
Thank you for all the information you have provided I really found it useful for my son who has applied to Southampton foundation medicine BM6 .yes I saw you gave out a lot of information I managed to check it and I'm a computer adequate not so great my son gets frustrated with me.Lets all be helpful to each other.

You're very welcome. Please let me know if I can be of any more help. Parents often have more questions than applicants on the open days!

Original post by Bright_Gift

:colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mande1724
Did anyone here get an A in AQA AS Chemistry (new spec)

I got an A for all 3 sciences. BUT my A in physics and chem were pretty darn low. Like I got only 5 marks above the marks needed for an A so it was pretty close.
Original post by greenfeather

To the original poster; Southampton have set days for interviews rather than giving a broad 'oh we interview over a few weeks in X month'. This year these are;
Tue 31st Jan
Thur 2nd Feb
Tue 7th feb
Thur 9th feb

This is only for school leavers though; is slightly different if you're a mature student or a grad applying to the undergrad course. Based on this, we can assume they'll give you at least 2 weeks notice so we can probably say they won't give anything out till December, probably mid-December at that. Maybe look at last years forum to see when people started receiving them? But youve deffo got a while yet so don't stress :smile:

god bless u greenfeather, if u are an applicant i hop u get all 4 offers x
I have a few questions and I am currently hoping that a current student can address these.
Without further Ado here we go.

1) From the website http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/ I have currently seen that the first 2 years at Southampton place a great deal of importance on written exams and almost non on practical exams. Is this true from your experience?

2) Again from unistats, I can see that 0% of the time spent in year 1 is on placements but at the same time from friends and other hopeful medics in the family (not a reliable source but still) I have heard that you may have the opportunity of assisting in the delivery of a baby in year 1. Which of these are correct? Or both? Are there any other details that are worth knowing?

3) What sort of learning is predominantly used at Southampton? Is it PBL or lecture based?
4) Does Southampton require a lot of independent studying in the first 2 years, as implied from Unistat?

5) Are there any specific highlights of Southampton (both the university/course and location) that are worth noting?

The next set of questions are to do with interviews at Southampton.
1) What sort of clothes are you expected to wear interviews? I understand that they have to be smart/formal but do people have to wear Blazers or is a smart shirt + vest enough?
2) What types of questions are involved?
3) What style of interviews are used at Southampton? Panel or MMI?
4) What type of questions typically come up in interviews or have you experienced?
5) What would you recommend researching or being aware of before interviews?

I would appreciate a response from a current student/admissions tutor at the earliest.
Kind Regards from a Hopeful Medic.
Original post by LightAtTheEnd

1) From the website http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/ I have currently seen that the first 2 years at Southampton place a great deal of importance on written exams and almost non on practical exams. Is this true from your experience?

There is a practical exam at the end of Yr 1 and 2 but they are formative, ie you don't need to pass to progress to the next year but they will make you resit them if you fail. They're low key, no pressure type exams. Yr 1 is a single history taking, Y2 is 6 osce stations from a limited list.

"Great deal of importance" - To pass the year you must pass your writtens and your essays. But the early years are about learning content so that's why it's that way.

2) Again from unistats, I can see that 0% of the time spent in year 1 is on placements but at the same time from friends and other hopeful medics in the family (not a reliable source but still) I have heard that you may have the opportunity of assisting in the delivery of a baby in year 1. Which of these are correct? Or both? Are there any other details that are worth knowing?

That's not true that we spend 0%. In first year you spend 1 afternoon every 2 weeks on placement. This is in a GP surgery where you will be taught for most of it but you will then meet patients during these sessions.

You will help delivery a baby in Y1 yeah.

Compared to placement in 3 onwards it is quite different but it is still placement.

3) What sort of learning is predominantly used at Southampton? Is it PBL or lecture based?

Lectures based. PBL is ew.

4) Does Southampton require a lot of independent studying in the first 2 years, as implied from Unistat?

I don't think there is a single university that doesn't require independent study! You do as much as you want and as much as you need to get through. Some do lots. I did not unless it was exam time. But you're given the lectures on powerpoints so you don't have to do your own reading outside of what is taught.

5) Are there any specific highlights of Southampton (both the university/course and location) that are worth noting?
This is a long question. I must have posted an answer to this already somewhere so I'll dig it out.

The next set of questions are to do with interviews at Southampton.
1) What sort of clothes are you expected to wear interviews? I understand that they have to be smart/formal but do people have to wear Blazers or is a smart shirt + vest enough?

Guys: Smart. Shirt and jumper, suit if you want and would be comfortable.
Girls: Smart. Doesn't need to be a suit.

2) What types of questions are involved?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4157257&page=8#post68049002
Read through this and I think it answers Q. 2 3 4 and 5 of your questions and a bunch of others you haven't thought of yet.

3) What style of interviews are used at Southampton? Panel or MMI?
4) What type of questions typically come up in interviews or have you experienced?
5) What would you recommend researching or being aware of before interviews?

Hope that helps!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3628221&page=14#post62657767

This is a fairly good post for pros/cons.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3628221&page=14#post62657767

This is a fairly good post for pros/cons.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks a ton mate! Very informative and helpful. Repped!
I can see one of the pros must be helpful students ^^
Thanks a ton mate! Very informative and helpful. Repped!
I can see one of the pros must be helpful students ^^

Any time. Good luck with your application and thanks for the rep!
Original post by xxxsbxxx
anyone know when people started hearing back last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was the 6th of Jan last year 😬😬😬 could still be in for a long wait....😩😩
Reply 174
we are the first ones to apply yet those who applied last week have started to get offers looool
Original post by 11...
we are the first ones to apply yet those who applied last week have started to get offers looool

What do you mean the first to apply? And last week? the deadline was closed??
Original post by hannolivia

maybe he means other courses?
Original post by 11...

I really struggled with motivation when that happened. The Medicine process just takes the longest. You will hear eventually and then it all goes so fast honestly. One minute you're checking track every 5 minutes and suddenly you are in final year applying for jobs.
Reply 178
Anyone willing to tell me their experiences of applying to med school?
Reply 179
Original post by hannolivia

last week as in applicants who want to study History at university for example lol sorry for the confusion

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending